cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
abitrandom
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,195
Message 11 of 136

Re: Yoga 730 CPU clock speed stuck at around 0.800 GHz when gaming, help!

For people still looking for an answer, the issue appears to be with the"Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Driver (DPTF).  There are various ways to disable it, but to disable it until the next reboot, you can do this:

Search for "device manager" on your OS and run it, find "system devices", and then look for, "Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Manager" and "Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Participant".  Right click on each one and "uninstall device".

Once you reboot, you'll have to repeat this process.  There are ways to disable this permanently, but they're a little more complex.  Here's a link for a different brand of computer for people who are interested.  I'm not 100% certain, but it should still work on the Yoga.

Just a warning, the Intel DPTF is used to help manage heat and power, so disabling it will raise computer temperatures and battery life (if you're running on battery with it disabled).   Disabling it shouldn't cause any damage, but I don't know enough to be sure, so please don't take my word for it.  It does, I believe, disable one important safeguard, so there might be some risk.  Somebody else can probably give more information.  (Lenovo, are you reading?)

There is another thread about disabling DPTF on older Yoga's, you can find it here.

You can also do a few other things to make your laptop cooler, including adding thermal pads to the VRMs on your computer, and repasting the CPU and GPU.  I won't go into detail here about it, but if you Google you can probably find more information.

For people who don't want to disable DPTF or dig into their laptop, one semi-fix I've found is just to put the computer into low power mode while playing games.  There will be less throttling and smoother performance overall.  You can do this by doing a search for "power plan" on your computer.

Hope this is useful!

Mod's Comment:  Your edits caused the Spam Filter to auto remove this post for some reason.  It has now been restore. Sorry for the mysterious removal and confusion it caused.   

kyhunt22
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,241
Message 12 of 136

Bad gaming lag on Lenovo Yoga 730 15"

Hey all, 

Firstly, I understand that this machine is not built for gaming. I didn't purchase it for gaming; however, I do want to do some light gaming on it. And by that I mean playing Paladins from time to time. That's it. Problem is, this computer will hardly run the game at all. I'm talking serious lag with the game on low settings. I plugged in as well. I know laptops can run games slower when unplugged. Here are the specs for my Yoga: 

• Up to 8th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-8550U Processor (1.80GHz, up to 4.0GHz with Turbo Boost, 8MB Cache)
  • 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS Multi-touch
  • NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 4 GB
  • 16 GB DDR4 2400 MHz
  • 512gb PCIe SSD
  • Memory: 16 GB DDR4 2400MHz (8 GB Onborad + 8 GB DIMM)

The game looks good for sure. Even on low settings, the graphics are pretty nice. The lag is nuts though. And the lag gets even worse when I encounter opponents in the game. Basically, I'll lag a bit as the match begins, and then when everyone arrives on point, the game becomes unplayable. Horrible lag that even affects sound. The screen and the sound start skipping. 

I've also made sure that Nvidia is running the game, rather than my integrated graphics. I keep thinking that's the issue, that maybe it's switching back to the integrated? I can't think of anything else. My Lenovo Y580 (that I bought six years ago) runs the game better than this. The Y580 runs with Nvidia GeForce GTX 660M and 8gigs of memory. 

According to my specs, I should be able to easily run this game on medium/high settings. I can hardly run it on low. Any ideas? Surely I'm doing something wrong here. 

Thanks!

pausehere
Paper Tape
Views: 3,152
Message 13 of 136

Re: Bad gaming lag on Lenovo Yoga 730 15"

Same issue here - although with different games. Thoroughly underwhelming purchase.

PureAllurePhoto
Serial Port
Views: 3,086
Message 14 of 136

+1 for bad lag to the point of being completely useless. I didn't purchase this for gaming either. I purchased it for Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop use which it also fails to do well. This was a replacement for a Yoga 720 I had that suffered multiple issues out of the box (and after being repaired by a Lenovo service center). Lenovo has amazing customer service but I'm feeling like their laptops are just not worth inveting into anymore. Pitty, I've used them for years. Anyway I have Battlefield 1 and Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands on this 730. I know Wildlands is a resource hog but it's not listed beyond the specs of this machine. In itially my GPU driver was faulty as was evident whwn monitoring my vram. It would max out at way low resolution settings. Reinstalled the GPU driver from Lenovo (tried to load directly from NVIDIA but of course Lenovo has them blacklisted....what a disappointment) and my vram usage is now normal but game lag is still majorly choppy with seconds passing between frames. I have a service ticket open with Ubisoft Uplay and will be contacting Lenovo tomorrow. You'd think a $2k laptop wouldnt lag in Lightroom or in single player mode of games. Im sure it will be a setting or update that fixes it. Just hoping it happens soon.

Yoga 730 Platinum 1TB 4K model.

kyhunt22
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,079
Message 15 of 136

Yeah, I sent mine back and ordered a Dell XPS 15 with similar specs. It'll be better, of this I'm sure. I'm was incredibly unhappy with my Yoga 730. Everything I mentioned, plus awful battery life. The fingerprint scanner stopped working too. I loved my Y580, but this machine needs to be remade. They messed up. 

Sorry to hear you're having a bad experience as well. When did you purchase it? I was able to return mine without the restocking fee, considering how many problems I was having. Maybe you can do the same? If not, I certainly hope you get the issues fixed with settings and updates. Good luck! 

PureAllurePhoto
Serial Port
Views: 3,074
Message 16 of 136

We'll see. I've only had this for about two weeks. This was a replacement directly from Lenovo since my 720 and 11e we're both so horrible. I have yet to purchase a laptop from Lenovo and have it work properly out of the box. All of them have had to be sent in for service the moment I unboxed them.

kyhunt22
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,069
Message 17 of 136

What a bummer. I'm sure some of their machines are great. It seems these might have been a miss though. Hopefully we're wrong and you get yours running smoothly. If not, you should be good to get a refund within 30 days. My XPS will be in soon. I'll try to remember to update here, if that's something you're interested in. I didn't order the 4K version, but I've read really good reviews about them. Could be a possibly alternative for you in the future, assuming you don't mind the horribly placed webcam. 

PureAllurePhoto
Serial Port
Views: 3,062
Message 18 of 136

This is NOT solved.   Your method does not work in my case.  The OP has not responded that this worked for him.   CPU throttling remains an issue with drivers uninstalled.  For me durrning gaming CPU speeds drop to 0.39 Ghz every time the game begins to lag.  Than you for your effort to help us but I don't believe you have this model laptop.  It was worth a try but didn't help my instance.  Hopefully it helped others. 

KQvestion
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,041
Message 19 of 136

Same issue---the CPU (i5 8th gen)  plummets to a clock speed of .4 GHz under load when enaged with the gtx 1050.  It happens across all 3D apps.  It even happened when I was benchmarking the laptop on UnEngine Valley.  When you stress test the CPU on XTU, no issues--I could maintain a 3.1-3.4 GHz clock speed for a full 5 minutes+ with no thermal or or abnormal power throttling.  This is a BIOS issue where the computer is being tricked into thinking that it doesn't have enough power to run the CPU...which might be the case.  TDP for the processor is 15 to 25W (boost).  TDP for GPU is 75W.  Charger is only 90W.  The GPU could be hogging energy.  Almost feels liek an AC adapter mismatch.  That said. It makes the 1050 completely useless. 

KQvestion
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,017
Message 20 of 136

Unfortunately, running at low power is not a fix, just a work-around and not a good one for a number of reasons.  When you enable the settings, the CPU just starts its clock at 900-1000 Mhz and just sits there, hence you don't have the massive framerate stutters that you get if the CPU downclocks itself from 3.4 gz to 400 mhz in game.  Any modern title will have massive stuttering and more CPU bound ones will falt-out be unplayable (BF1, for instance).  In other words, the 1050 is literally pointless as I was getting better performance by far on my old laptop with the same processor and an MX150.  If I don't get a satifactory answer from Lenovo, I'm returning this and grabbing something else.  Battery life also seems to be an issue.  GPU and battery life via the i5 8th gen were the main draws of this device.  Might as well just get something cheaper without dedicated graphics.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors