cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
muggi26
What's DOS?
Views: 2,586
Message 21 of 138

Re: Yoga 730 CPU clock speed stuck at around 0.800 GHz when gaming, help!

So I fixed it but I think my Solution is not optimal when it comes to thermal efficiency, so be prepared to add additional cooling to your device!!!!
At first I used the programm throttlestop with basic settings (not sure if this step even effects my system at all).
Then I disabled the Turbo boost Short Power Max setting in Intel Extreme Tuning Utility and set the Turbo Boost Power Max to 16Watts, but this depends on what game I play strangly(just play around with this maybe).
Finally I deleted that driver and now my system is only power throttling when I want it to be.

THESE SETTINGS ARE FOR EXPERIENCED USERS ONLY!!!! You can destroy your Laptop with that so be carefull not to let it overheat! If it gets too hot, lower the Watts running through!
Next step for me is to replace the thermal paste on cpu and gpu with some new and better one.
Will post an status update later.

PureAllurePhoto
Serial Port
Views: 2,557
Message 22 of 138

I wouldn't recommend modifying new laptops as described above unless you wish to void your warranty.    I have an open ticket concerning my Yoga 730.  A field technician is supposed to visit me soon.  I'll let you all know what he finds.   

PureAllurePhoto
Serial Port
Views: 2,563
Message 23 of 138

Re: Bad gaming lag on Lenovo Yoga 730 15"

Thanks.  I'm waiting for a field technician to come check my Yoga 730.  Im sure he'll find something in the BIOS that is causing CPU throttling.  I also have Bluetooth issues.  They are waiting for the parts so the tech can visit me.  They offered a replacement for me which is awesome but I think I should wait and see what the tech says.  It might help everyone else who is experiencing this issue. 

PureAllurePhoto
Serial Port
Views: 2,522
Message 24 of 138

Update:   So the field technician is waiting on parts to arrive so they can hopefully repair the bluetooth issue with my laptop.   The tech is going to check my machine as well to see what is throttling CPU speeds.  Hopefully they find the issue and show me the steps to correct it (or what to replace) so I can forward that information to all of you who are experiencing this.   I'd like to add that Lenovo offered to repalce my laptop since I am having to wait so long for the repair.  I may take them up on that if the technician cannot get the parts needed to fix my machine but I'd rather give Lenovo a chance to isolate the root cause of these issues.  I know a lot of people will benefit from it. 

KQvestion
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,520
Message 25 of 138

Great, I'm returning mine, just because there's no point to having the GPU and the mediocre battery life if it doesn't actually function.  Let us know what happens. Should be interesting to  at least know what aspect of Intel Thermal Framework is conflicting with the GPU and CPU working in tandem.  If they can fix that, this is a worthwhile purchase.  As is, not so much.

ALSO: can whatever admin marked this as solved unmark it?  It's not solved by any definition of the word.

PureAllurePhoto
Serial Port
Views: 2,516
Message 26 of 138

I agree. This is definitely not solved, at least not correctly. 

KQvestion
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,522
Message 27 of 138

YOGA 730 15 inch -- CPU downclocking when GPU is active

UNIT SPECS: 

-i5, 8th gen U
-gtx 1050 GPU

-8 GB RAM
-1080p IPS display

-256 GB of storage
-90 Watt AC Adapter

I know that this has another thread, but it'd marked as "solved", whereas the issue has not been solved at all.  So, the basics of the issue:

• CPU runs fine during normal use and when stress testing on XTU, but then immediately downclocks itself to between .4 and .8 Ghz when the NVidia 1050 is active.  During games or benchmarking (used UnEngine Valley), this results in a drop to 10-25 fps on average.  CPU power drops by about 75% and bottlenecks the GPU so that it can only perform around 30-50%.
  • If you exit out of the app's window, the GPU will not be in use and the CPU will gradually clock itself back up to normal levels.
  • Another user pointed out a workaround where you can disable Intel Thermal Framework to reduce the issue.  The problem is that ITF exists for a reason and disabling it increases heat, reduces battery life, and can damage your PC.  Theoretically it could also void warranty if any damage resulted from disabling the feature.
  • No thermal throttling is occurring, which makes it odd that ITF would be strangling the processor.  Even if that were an issue, it could just lower the CPU to its base clock (not below) and temps would be fine.

This probably some issue caused by acombination of Lenovo's BIOS interacting with ITF, but it could also be hardware related.   The takeaway is that you can't use the device's dedicated GPU which means you might as well just purchase one with an integrated schip for less and even get superior battery life.  Please post here if you've have a similar issue with the dedicated graphics version.  Hopefully this info will also help the techs find a solution.

Software Used:
-Intel XTU
-CPUID Hardware Monitor

-RivaTuner Statistics
-UnEngine Valley (for benchmarking)

-Skyrim SE (first game I noticed the issue occurring in.  Tested with other 3D games and same issue)

Mod edit:  Post merged in.

KQvestion
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,554
Message 28 of 138

Yep, this is apparently an issue with all of them.  Intel Dynamic Thermal Framework is power throttling the CPU when used in tandem with the GT 1050.  FPS drops to well under 30 fps after less than a minute and the CPU clock down to 400-800 mhz which then throttles the GPU, making it run at under 50% (CPU bottleneck).  Returning.  Checking out the Yoga 920 or moving on to a different maunfacturer if I have issues with that.

Fury556
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,527
Message 29 of 138

Sounds like it should be more than capable for light gaming. 

I would check the obvious stuff first - make sure BIOS is latest, Intel drivers and Nvidia driver. If you open the Nvidia control panel does the 3d animation stutter in there too? Maybe check the settings in there and turn them to high performance rather than quality. Also I think there is a setting in Nvidia to add explicit EXE's to run using the Nvidia chip rather than Intel, make sure paladins is in there too. 

You could also try turning off intel speedstep from BIOS just in case it's throttling your CPU for some reason, but I don't think it would be.

PureAllurePhoto
Serial Port
Views: 2,525
Message 30 of 138

Thanks for your suggestions.  There are no BIOS updates yet for the 730.  Hopefully Lenovo will create one to correct for this problem.   The Yoga 720 did not have this problem (same set up, less GPU RAM).   I've optimized everything I can for proper performance (worked on other machines) but on this model specifically it lags and does so down to single digit fps.  I believe this one has simply been rushed to market.  I'm sure with time all the bugs will be worked out.  Hoping the field tech identifies at least some of them.  

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors