Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SKL111
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,389
Message 31 of 135

Re: YOGA 730 15 inch -- CPU downclocking when GPU is active

I am having the same issue, and was able to use throttlestop to reduce the lag, but I have not tried to disable the ITF yet and I could not figure out how to increase the Power limits via the XTU the TDP for the CPU is set a 15W but it has and upper and lower limit as well.

Here is the link to the 730 vs 720 CPU, the TDP is what we are hitting I believe.
https://ark.intel.com/compare/97185,122589
the 720 has a bigger TDP, but its 2 in 1 edges are not as nice as the 730.I am at the point where I may just break down and get a 720 and return this 730(I already have a return started for this just haven't sen the unit back as I really like its format!)

SKL111
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,382
Message 32 of 135

Re: Yoga 730 CPU clock speed stuck at around 0.800 GHz when gaming, help!

Nope this is not solved and Lenovo advertises this as a gaming laptop. Its a convertable, can game(supposedly) and has a fingerprint reader. I have this freaking thing and It drives me nuts

LenovoGaming1.PNGLenovoGaming2.PNG

pausehere
Paper Tape
Views: 1,455
Message 33 of 135

Re: Bad gaming lag on Lenovo Yoga 730 15"

It does feel like it has been rushed out . The throttling is a dealbreaker for me, mine has also developed pops and crackles while listening to audio on headphones. So I used the livechat thing and I'm hreturning it for a refund. Just too much effort required to get it to do what it is supposed to do OoTB.

The search for a pseudo-portable light-gamer continues. Probably an HP Envy 360.

kyhunt22
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,413
Message 34 of 135

You're right. They do. I guess my reasoning for saying that is I anticipated people saying: "Dude, that's not a gaming rig." No one has though, because it is supposed to be capable of handling some gaming. It wasn't able to handle any.
SKL111
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,412
Message 35 of 135

Yeah unfortunately my mistake as well.

@kyhunt22 wrote:
You're right. They do. I guess my reasoning for saying that is I anticipated people saying: "Dude, that's not a gaming rig." No one has though, because it is supposed to be capable of handling some gaming. It wasn't able to handle any.

kyhunt22
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,409
Message 36 of 135

I highly suggest considering the new XPS 15. I ended up returning my Yoga and buying an XPS. Here are the specs:

• 8th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H Processor (9M Cache, up to 4.1 GHz, 6 cores)
  • 16GB, 2x8GB, DDR4, 2666MHz
  • 512GB M.2 2280 PCIe Solid State Drive
  • NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX 1050Ti with 4GB GDDR5
  • Silver Machined Aluminum Back Cover
  • 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) InfinityEdge Anti-Glare Non-touch IPS 100% sRGB 400-Nits display
  • Killer 1535 802.11ac 2x2 WiFi and Bluetooth 4.2
  • XPS 15 Wireless Antenna
  • 6-Cell 97WHr Integrated
  • 1. SD card slot | 2. USB 3.1 Gen 1 with Power Delivery | 3. Battery gauge button and indicator | 4. Noble lock slot | 5. AC power | 6. HDMI 2.0 | 7. Thunderbolt™ 3 8. Headset jack

Here's the link to mine: 

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-laptops-and-notebooks/new-xps-15/spd/xps-15-9570-laptop/sm...

You'll have to change the specs to make it match the above, which will bring up the price. I got mine for about $1,700, with upgraded warranty as well. They had a sale going on at the time, which might not be a thing anymore. Either way, I'm about two weeks in and absolutely loving this machine. 

I considered the Envy as well, and ultimatly decided this one made more sense. That was after a nutty amount of reading reviews and watching videos, etc. The Envy might end up being perfect for you. I think this one should probably be in the running though. 

Hope this helps!

SKL111
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,388
Message 37 of 135

@kyhunt22 wrote:

I highly suggest considering the new XPS 15. I ended up returning my Yoga and buying an XPS. Here are the specs:

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-laptops-and-notebooks/new-xps-15/spd/xps-15-9570-laptop/sm...

I considered the Envy as well, and ultimatly decided this one made more sense. That was after a nutty amount of reading reviews and watching videos, etc. The Envy might end up being perfect for you. I think this one should probably be in the running though. 

Hope this helps!

It does. I have a case opened with lenovo and I have contacted them via twitter, as I like this machine and really want it to work and I am willing to work with them, but If it doesn't happen I will either get something like that or the 720-15kib with nvidia and i7 cpu.

on a sidenote, i did get it to run CS GO without lag by using Throttlestop and droping the speed to 1.2Ghz with the turbo boost of both types and speedstep disabled as well as power management. Not ideal and a solution by any means, but it lets me game in the interim

PureAllurePhoto
Serial Port
Views: 1,321
Message 38 of 135

I had the 720.  It has it's share of issues as well.  Mine were more related to Windows Ink and the ability to use it as advertised for photo editing but if you aren't going to use it for that then it might be an option. I will add that the battery life on the 720 is worse than the 730.  I was upraded by Lenovo to the 730 1TB model due to so many issues I had with my 720.  I'm with you though.  I'm waiting to see what the Lenovo field tech finds when he comes out to fix my machine.  Hopefully he fixes it. I really like this unit.  If this can't be corrected to function properly I'll be switching to Mac or possibly an HP ZBook.  Both of those options are an additional $600 - $1000 over what this model costs which isn't going to be easy for me to just come off the hip with.   Gaming was secondary to me.  I need my laptop for professional image editing.  It does that just OK.  It lags quite a bit in Lightroom and Photoshop.  Much more than my old Dell i5558 without dedicated GPU.  I'm also struggling with this limited RAM.  Who solders 8GB to the board???  I'd like 32GB+ for my editing needs but can get by with 16/24 or 32. 

Anyone tried puting a 32GB card in the free slot on these 730's?  I'm wondering if I could dedicate that to the editing programs while using the 8GB soldered dedicated to system processes.  Anyway, back to gaming.  I was told it will be August before the field tech comes out to work on my machine.  Hopefully someone else finds an actual answer sooner.  If now lets all hope this person fixes me up so I can share it with you. 

kyhunt22
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,366
Message 39 of 135

I applaud your patience. I think that's great. Maybe you will come out of this with the machine you hoped for in the beggining? For me, I was spending more time trying to fix the thing than I was enjoying the thing, so I had to say goodbye. I hope you get it working for you! 

SKL111
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,293
Message 40 of 135

That didn't go very far. I did get confirmation that the game even though I have been running it at 1600x900 as I am the laptop itself is reaching the bios thermal protection settings, using throttlestop and disabling prochot was a suggestion. So I am returning this one as well and will pick up a 720.

If I can't repaste it and get it working like I want I will be getting something else. the problem is I want and nvidia chip 2 in 1 high power laptop with fingerprint. Hard to find.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors