Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KQvestion
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,356
Message 41 of 135

Re: Bad gaming lag on Lenovo Yoga 730 15"

I switched to the Samsung Notebook 9 (on sale as Bestbuy atm).  Only has a Radeon 540, but gets you 16 gb of ram and i7 for basically the same price if you grab the student discount.

MiguelA
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,341
Message 42 of 135

Re: Yoga 730 CPU clock speed stuck at around 0.800 GHz when gaming, help!

Having Throttle issues as well. I bought the "ASUS VivoBook Pro 17 N705UD-EH76" which has very similar specs and in the Passmark benchmark I got 10355 for CPU and 4121 for 3D Graphics. With this machine I get 9013 CPU and 3969 for 3D. It's not horrible but I don't see any reason for this to happen except Lenovo throttling the CPU and perhaps having bad thermals. Would it be possible to get an update of the BIOS?

xixiaofan
Paper Tape
Views: 1,154
Message 43 of 135

Have same issue on my yoga 730-15 too,Lenovo has yet to offer a solution to the problems with its model.I have returned it and waiting for the official solution of the problem. Maybe I will consider buying it again after the problem is solved.

firehawk9000
Paper Tape
Views: 1,119
Message 44 of 135

Oh my gosh other people are having this problem too! I have been sitting here for 4 hours troubleshooting different settings and reinstalling drivers, I even bought a screwdriver to install more RAM in the 8gb model and that did squat! It's so frustrating, I just want to play Overwatch and Fortnite at Medium 60fps, is that so hard to ask? Anyways, I am experiencing all of the problems said before me, cpu throttling while gaming, I almost convinced myself it was using the Intel 620 Graphics because I ran both games on the LOWEST possible settings and still couldn't get stable framerates even the benchmarks for the GTX 1050 are supposed to handle these games on even High settings at 60fps+. I also grabbed an ethernet cable to USB adapter to make sure the wireless card wasn't causing all the lag. My battery life is laughable as well, about 2 hours on a full charge, and that's just browsing and streaming. I want to like this machine so much, it's the nicest laptop I've ever owned, and I bought it for school in 3 weeks, it has all the ports, beautiful metal finish, and just a high quality appeal to it, oh and it also (supposedly) plays games decently! I hope I can return it and get another one, because for me, this is the best laptop for your $$$. 2018 Dell XPS 15 doesn't have USB-A ports (the Yoga 730 has 2!), the Hp Envy is more expensive and lacks a fingerprint (the newer one is supposed to include it this time though), honestly I don't know what Lenovo was thinking. I got this Laptop on their website for $1020 for the model with I7 8th gen. GTX 1050 4gb, 256gb SSD, 8gb RAM, and a 1 year warranty for any drops or spills and stuff, I mean what a steal (minus the slightly dim screen)! I guess it was too good to be true.

TL;DR: I have all the same problems, CPU sucks, Battery life sucks, everything else about the laptop I LOVE.

SKL111
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,111
Message 45 of 135

Re: Bad gaming lag on Lenovo Yoga 730 15"

720-15kib from bestbuy is working like I need with nvidia 1050 Chip. CS:GO is a go!

Savvrazz
Paper Tape
Views: 1,078
Message 46 of 135

Hi guys, I was thinking about buying the Yoga 730 after returning a HP Spectre, but since reading this thread I think I'll give it a miss.

Funnily enough my spectre had almost the exact same issue i.e. the CPU power limit throttles to 0.8GHz when under a combined CPU+GPU load; this makes me think that it  may be a Windows 10 issue for many devices with a dedicated GPU and Intel CPU. Maybe it only effects 8th gen CPUs since someone mentioned their replacement 720 is working fine? Who knows...

Anyway, on the off chance that some of these devices are working correctly, can anyone confirm that they've consistently gotten GTX 1050 performance with little to no throttling?

reecewild
Paper Tape
Views: 1,042
Message 47 of 135

I just bought my 730 last week and ended up having the same problem as everyone else on this thread. I bought the laptop for school but i wanted to be able to do some gaming on it as well. When i loaded up overwatch on high settings it ran fine in game for a few seconds but then throttled down to about 20 fps with horrible lag when the match started. My fingerprint scanner came broken out of the box as well. I thought there was a chance that just my unit was bad soI ordered a replacement. However, I had the similar results when I tested it in game again. Having tried two different units i can pretty much confirm that this is happening to all of the 730s. I like almost everything else about it, but this thing shouldnt even be sold until they have a solution.

Savvrazz
Paper Tape
Views: 1,018
Message 48 of 135

Wow, odds of receiving two bum units in a row would be pretty small if the issue wasn't widespread.

Did a little more research last night and it seems like every laptop with a U series Intel chip and dGPU combo has this issue, which rules out almost all the current high-powered 2in1 devices.

Oh well, guess I'll do a bit more digging on the 720 and maybe get that instead.

PureAllurePhoto
Serial Port
Views: 876
Message 49 of 135

I had a failed Fingerprint scanner on my Yoga 720.  When I got this Yoga 730 I was excited for it to actually work.  

Now for the throttling issue.  I have installed the Intel Extreme Tuning Utiity and used that application to monitor my system.  Do the same and see if you experience what I am experiencing.  I'm finding that during gaming my system Power Limit Throttles.  

I have a thread on the Intel forum here  ----> https://communities.intel.com/message/558105#558105

Please visit that forum and add your experience.  Hopefully this will help get the recognition this issue deserves.  

Chakra
Paper Tape
Views: 829
Message 50 of 135

Has anyone tried with the i5 instead of i7?   Does it run at normal clock with nvidia GPU?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors