cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ol8vil
Paper Tape
Views: 1,283
Message 61 of 136

Re: Yoga 730 CPU clock speed stuck at around 0.800 GHz when gaming, help!

I have Yoga 730 15 with Core i5.

PureAllurePhoto
Serial Port
Views: 1,281
Message 62 of 136

Federico18  -  That's interesting.  The 720 definitely has a beast of a power supply.  I noticed how much smaller my 730 supply was than the 720.  I don't believe this is related to the ac power supply.  My 720 was fine in both ac and battery mode.  The 730 power throttle limits regardless of voltage source.  Another poster says his worked when he changed the power plan.  I hope that's true for others.  Unfortunately for me it didn't help.  I'm waiting on a replacement to arrive.  I'm switching back to the yoga 720.  It's a shame as I like the 730 much more for design and additional beef but in the end I need a machine that works.  

PureAllurePhoto
Serial Port
Views: 1,274
Message 63 of 136

@ol8vil wrote:

I have Yoga 730 15 with Core i5.

Wow that's awesome!  I'm glad it worked for you.  I was really hoping this would fix mine.  I have the i7 version which most are having troubles with.  I may do one final wipe and install of Windows to see if that corrects it.   I've done this twice so far but it can't hurt to try again.  Thanks for sharing.  I hope this helps others.  For some of us though I believe it will take more to get this corrected. 

firehawk9000
Paper Tape
Views: 1,264
Message 64 of 136

I have the 730 15" i7 8gb gtx 1050 model as well with the same cpu issue. My unit also has a battery that last 2 hours on a full charge. Not sure if those issues are related. Anyway  I tried the performance mode preference on pretty much every program that allowed it (Nvidia control panel, windows power management, etc.) but nothing was solved. Bummer. 

I sent my computer in for repair because it was 4 days out of the return warranty period. It's been 11 days since they received it and I still don't have it back. I called and they said they replaced the battery, but no other comments were said to me. I really hope they didn't just fix ONLY the battery problem when I told them (in great detail) about the gaming cpu/gpu issue. Time will tell. I will report back soon. 

Question: Has anyone gone through the Lenovo repair process before? I'm worried that they won't be able to fix the issue, but if this problem is present on a decent % of the 730 15"s, then I want a different device. I don't want a 2nd broken computer. But I want to know if they would trade it for a different device of equal value. Thanks! 

PureAllurePhoto
Serial Port
Views: 1,255
Message 65 of 136

@firehawk9000 wrote:

Question: Has anyone gone through the Lenovo repair process before? I'm worried that they won't be able to fix the issue, but if this problem is present on a decent % of the 730 15"s, then I want a different device. I don't want a 2nd broken computer. But I want to know if they would trade it for a different device of equal value. Thanks! 

Yes, I have gone through the repair process with every Lenovo I own (YIKES!).  The warranty repair center near me (NC) is terrible.  I have had so many issues with them that Lenovo replaced and upgraded my last unit.  Today I have a field technician coming to hopefully fix this issue.  This 730 was a replacement from Lenovo for a 720 I had which was defective out of the box and had been repaired at the service center who sent it back to me again defective with a different failure and completely covered in grease.  I was less than thrilled.  Fingers crossed this field tech sees my issue and can isolate the failure.  If not, I'll be asking for a replacement 720.  I really hope she fixes my machine.  These are so nice I hate to see them not work properly.  

As for battery life....it's terrible.  2 hours is definitely not gaming.  I adjust my screen resoluction down and brightness to 50% while working so that I can get at least 2.5 hours of work in.  These machines are definitely power hungry.  I didn't buy it for battery life though.  I needed it for photo editing which is quite demanding.   I hope your experience with the service center is better than mine was.  I'm sure they have more than one repair center.  Hopefully they get you fixed. 

KQvestion
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,224
Message 66 of 136

2 hours when just doing normal stuff like browsing and video streaming? (2 hrs while gaming ro using cpu/gpu intensive tasks is normal)  That's not right.  It uses a smaller battery than the 720 and 720s, but I'm getting near 10 with a slight undervolt on the cpu.  When I briefly had the 730, I'd noticed fluctuations from 2-3 all the way to 8 hrs.  Have you checked the task manager when your bar is showing low battery?  If your CPU is clocked up around boost territory the guage will estimate your battery life based on that, whereas if your at the base clock it should show longer life.  If not, you've got a dud battery.

sirhairylegs
Paper Tape
Views: 1,209
Message 67 of 136

My yoga 730 with GTX 1050 and i7 has the same problem. What is strange is that occasionally opening GeForce experience and re opening fortnite over and over, sometimes the system starts and does not throttle and I am able to play at a consistent 60fps with good settings. This is rare though and not a good fix. This issue needs to be solved. 

PureAllurePhoto
Serial Port
Views: 1,184
Message 68 of 136

@KQvestion wrote:

2 hours when just doing normal stuff like browsing and video streaming? (2 hrs while gaming ro using cpu/gpu intensive tasks is normal)  That's not right.  It uses a smaller battery than the 720 and 720s, but I'm getting near 10 with a slight undervolt on the cpu.  When I briefly had the 730, I'd noticed fluctuations from 2-3 all the way to 8 hrs.  Have you checked the task manager when your bar is showing low battery?  If your CPU is clocked up around boost territory the guage will estimate your battery life based on that, whereas if your at the base clock it should show longer life.  If not, you've got a dud battery.

Agreed.  It's a shame so many people are making processor adjustments just to use a brand new unit.  I haven't because I don't want to void my warranty.  I had a new mother board installed yesterday with no change.  Waiting on my 720 now and I'll be sending this 730 back.  

Federico18
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,144
Message 69 of 136

PureAllurePhoto what did the field technician said??

Sendog
Paper Tape
Views: 1,093
Message 70 of 136

(Sorry in advance for the long post, but I believe I have a number of observations to add to the discussion)

I just received my Yoga 730 15" (The i7 model) a couple of days ago and like everyone else I seem to be experiencing the exact same throttling issues while gaming. I've been experimenting for the past day or so with GTA:V set to the GeForce Experience recommened settings, and trying various tweaks to see what could be done about it. Note that through my testing the laptop was placed on a cooling pad with good airflow so placement should be a non-factor when it comes to thermals. I have also made sure to update all Lenovo drivers and update to the latest BIOS that just came out, as well as update the gpu driver. 

This is what I've observed so far:

1. The throttling can be mitigated somewhat by going into Lenovo Vantage and disabling the "intelligent cooling" option, then selecting the performance setting. It still throttles the CPU, but only down to ~1.2Ghz rather than 0.8Ghz. Not ideal, obviously, but it did bring the framerate up from abysmally unplayable single digits into the 20-30fps range. What's interesting is that the GPU seemed to be throttling as well, going down to 70% usage where before it tended to stay pegged to 100%.

2. The throttling itself seems to be sporadic and unreliable, which made determining the exact effect of my various troubleshooting tweaks pretty difficult. I am certain about the "intelligent cooling" tweak mentioned above because the bahaviour predictably switched back and forwarth over and over whenever it was turned on or off, even after restarting the computer and such. Beyond that, I found that occasionally even with "intelligent cooling" enabled a different throttling pattern sometimes emerged where the CPU would rapidly switch between full turbo speeds and a slight underclock of roughly 1.8 Ghz while the GPU stayed at high usage. The framerate was higher, somewhere in the 40-50fps range and the temps increased significantly, tending to stay in the mid 80s and peaking into the mid 90s where before they were in the 60s peaking into the 70s. I still have no idea what caused this particular throttling behavior though, as I could not get it to occur reliably no matter what I tried to replicate it.

Conclusion:

I am not certain, but I think the throttling behavior might be caused by some kind of bug given the inconsistent behavior it displayed for me. However, I am also led to believe by the high temps observed when it wasn't throttling as much that to some extent the throttling may be by design for thermal reasons rather than power limit (Though this could also be because the fan doesn't seem to run as hard when "intelligent cooling" is enabled.) Again, this is all speculation but this behavior really is strangely inconsistent.. especially seeing as different things have worked for different users in this forum thread alone.

This is really a shame because from what I can see this is a widespread issue with the Yoga 730 and I really haven't seen much of a response on Lenovo's part. As this is primarily a computer I'll be using for student purposes (I already have a gaming desktop) I might not return it because I really like basically every other thing about it.. but there are also videos on Youtube of GTA:V benchmarks with the Yoga 720 on similar settings -easily- managing a consistent 60fps, something my 730 could only do for 30 seconds or so at best before throttling back. It really tempts me to return the computer and buy a 720 instead.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors