cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sirhairylegs
Paper Tape
Views: 1,650
Message 71 of 135

Re: Yoga 730 CPU clock speed stuck at around 0.800 GHz when gaming, help!

I was able to contact management and it sounds like they have a mandate to fix the issue and there should be a BIOS update through vantage that should fix the problem in 2 to 3 weeks, me might finally be saved after all the effort 

Sendog
Paper Tape
Views: 1,645
Message 72 of 135

Wow, really? That's fantastic news if so. Mind if I pry you for more details? I'm just curious how dedicated they sounded to fixing this throttling issue in particular.

sirhairylegs
Paper Tape
Views: 1,638
Message 73 of 135

I didn't speak to management directly but I was with several associates in both hardware and software and they ended up accessing my laptop directly so I could show them the issue. After that I explained the thread and that everybody else was having the same issue as I and the associate spoke with management. When he got back to me all he said was the most recent BIOS update wasn't aimed to fix that problem but that they have a mandate to fix the issue with another BIOS update that should be available in 2-3 weeks. It sounded like they were aware and that one of the last updates were what caused the issue in the first place. I am afraid that when the issue is fixed there may be an overheating issue with the laptops unless they make software that is better able to control the cooling system and run the clock speed at a high but reasonable speed given the cooling fan's effectiveness. On the rare occasion I am able to keep the clock speed at a reasonable speed the temperatures of the processer range from 90 to 95 degrees Celsius which is what you'd expect from a highly overclocked processor, not one at factory settings. I hope they come up with a fix for both issues soon because high clock speeds are no use if your laptop has a meltdown. 

Sendog
Paper Tape
Views: 1,635
Message 74 of 135

Well that certainly sounds like good news. On the cooling front, I mentioned in my original post that disabling the "intelligent cooling" option in Vantage seemed to make the fan run faster when it needed to, as evidenced by the fact that it was both noticably louder and throttled less. I mean I doubt the cooling is ever going to be amazingly good on a laptop like this and I imagine that in general it -will- need to thermal throttle to some extent, but it definitely seems like it shouldn't need to throttle nearly as much as it is currently. But yeah, it'd be nice if they included some kind of option for "max cooling" while plugged in and under high load or something. I know I certainly would rather have a loud laptop with a cool less-throttled CPU under load than the other way around.

PureAllurePhoto
Serial Port
Views: 1,545
Message 75 of 135

This is great news.   I have already opted to trade back my Yoga 730 for a 720.  The difference between the two units is minimal but I agree the 730 should be amazing.  I really liked it and didn't want to send it back.  BUT....I received a 720 within 24 hours of requesting a replacement.   A field tech came to my business and replaced the motherboard, wifi card and also installed a 16GB stick of ram into the free slot.  Yes, you can upgrade your RAM beyond 16GB.  I currently am running 24GB in my replacement 720 and plan to up it to 40GB in the future.  Just remember that RAM speed is limited to the slowest stick.  

Anyway, I found a BIOS update available for my 730 two days ago which made no difference when gaming.  I hope they do produce a fix for it.  When speaking with my Case Manager he told me that there are a LOT of people upset about this issue.  I feel for him.  I bet he's getting worn out by upset clients and it is to be expected. 

I want to say that Lenovo customer support has been absolutely amazing for me.  Sure there are times you get an employee who is limited by a script.   Keep your cool and ask to speak with someone higher up.  If you have a legitimate claim and a positive attitude they will gladly help you out.  I needed this unit for photo editing and loved that I could game on it as well.  I've been through three units so far and it appears "Third time's a charm" might be true.  Pen and touch work well (though I admit the 730 does have the 720 beat by a hair).  The representatives in the Case Management department have been fantastic!  

I hope to see this issue resolved. I'd like to have a 730 that works as intended.  The Platinum version is quite a machine. 

Chakra
Paper Tape
Views: 1,526
Message 76 of 135

Many of those new thin laptops with 8th gen and a Nvidia are not going to do well.  They will all throttle down after any real use.  7th gen had 45 watt and ran hot but consistent and the 8th gen have more cores so they tried to be cute and switch to 15 watt for better battery life and less heat...  yeah that works as long as you don't try to use it for anything productive.

We gave up looking and was happy to find a great deal on zbook 2x with 7th gen and quadro.  Then get a external gpu box for any real work.  The zbook x2 is a freaking beauty.  If yoga can do what they did then sure, that would be fine.  So I would say get a 720 with 7th gen and just deal with the heat.   The zbook x2 is built to pull air from the sides and push it out at the top.. Works great and stays cool.

No bios is going to help with the new 8th gen thin machines that also have nvidia.  Mineaswell get it with just integrated graphics and grab an Aorus gaming box for real power.

PureAllurePhoto
Serial Port
Views: 1,485
Message 77 of 135

@Chakra wrote:

We gave up looking and was happy to find a great deal on zbook 2x with 7th gen and quadro.  Then get a external gpu box for any real work.  The zbook x2 is a freaking beauty.  If yoga can do what they did then sure, that would be fine.  So I would say get a 720 with 7th gen and just deal with the heat.   The zbook x2 is built to pull air from the sides and push it out at the top.. Works great and stays cool.

No bios is going to help with the new 8th gen thin machines that also have nvidia.  Mineaswell get it with just integrated graphics and grab an Aorus gaming box for real power.

I haven't seen any heat issues with either of the Yoga 720's I own/owened or the 730.  The cooling systems work well though they could always be improved.  Anyone gaming with a laptop and not using a cooling pad is making a huge mistake.  I'm sure others have seen heating issues so I'm guessing I'm lucky.   The last time I monitored temps on my 720 and 730 they were staying in the 50-60 degree Celsius range with occassional spikes to 70.  I do use a cooling pad when gaming which will greatly reduce temps.  If someone were to game without a coolind pad I'd bet they would see thermal throttling quite often. 

The ZBook is definitely an amazing machine. Cooling ports on the side and top seem like a no brainer.  I never undestood why manufactureres put the intake ports on the bottom where dust is more likely to enter if the passage isn't blocked which happens on nearly any surface.   I considered getting a ZBook if this issue wasn't resolved.  I like the physical buttons on the screen for hotkeys.  The GPU isn't quite built for gaming but would work well.  Anyone purchasing a ZBook won't be disappointed.  They are great machines. And they are HP so BIOS aren't as restricted as Lenovo products are.   

jserinoc
Punch Card
Views: 1,447
Message 78 of 135

I wanted to share my experience so far. I bought 2 weeks ago the 15" I7 730. A few days ago I got FIFA 2018 and started experiencing some of the issues. Not sure about the clock speed as I did not measure it, but the game was unplayable. Just horrible. After several attempts, I turned off syncing my google drive My Documents folder and changed the settings to medium and it played OK. However, after reading this thread today I decided to try other things.

I did many things. First, turned off the smart cooling feature on Lenovo Vantage. Then, on advance power settings I put on performance every option possible. I then proceeded to update the Geforce Experience app and installed the latest driver and moved some options. I also opened the NVIDIA control panel and made sure the GTX was the preferred graphics processor and changed the settings to performance. 

After all that I was happy to see that I could play FIFA 2018 at high settings and FPS were around 50 on average...respectable, but more importantly, no throttling. I wanted to take the test one step further and installed Fornite. Changed the settings to HIGH and the resolution to 1920 x 1080 and played with no throttling keeping the FPS at a constant 50-60 (I limited it to 60). BTW, I tried the same at 4K resolution but the FPS dropped to 20-30. 

Overall not bad and close to the experience I was expecting out of this laptop...Will keep you updated if something changes.

Best,

JC

MiguelA
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,315
Message 79 of 135

Just for information purposes.

When doing repeated tests (just one will seem to not throttle) my system seems to stabilize with constant throttling while the load is on at 2.5GHz (from maximum of 3.7GHz), CPU temps 60C and power drain of 15W. This is a cut of a third of the performance for no apparent reason since CPU temps are low and power drain is confortably below the wattage of the power brick (90W).

RafalK
What's DOS?
Views: 1,282
Message 80 of 135

Looks like I have found a fix.

My CPU used to drop to 0.6GHz while gaming - the simple solusion was to disable "Intelligent Cooling" in Lenovo Vantage.

Now my CPU is "only" at around 1.7GHz while gaming.

To do that go to Lenovo Vantage -> Hardware Settings -> Smart Settings -> Intelligent Cooling.

Regards

Rafal

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors