Options

35 Posts

06-08-2018

US

52 Signins

321 Page Views

• Views: 321
  • Message 71 of 144

Re: Yoga 730 CPU clock speed stuck at around 0.800 GHz when gaming, help!

2018-08-23, 12:34 PM

wrote:

2 hours when just doing normal stuff like browsing and video streaming? (2 hrs while gaming ro using cpu/gpu intensive tasks is normal)  That's not right.  It uses a smaller battery than the 720 and 720s, but I'm getting near 10 with a slight undervolt on the cpu.  When I briefly had the 730, I'd noticed fluctuations from 2-3 all the way to 8 hrs.  Have you checked the task manager when your bar is showing low battery?  If your CPU is clocked up around boost territory the guage will estimate your battery life based on that, whereas if your at the base clock it should show longer life.  If not, you've got a dud battery.

Agreed.  It's a shame so many people are making processor adjustments just to use a brand new unit.  I haven't because I don't want to void my warranty.  I had a new mother board installed yesterday with no change.  Waiting on my 720 now and I'll be sending this 730 back.  

Options

15 Posts

05-23-2018

US

72 Signins

220 Page Views

• Views: 220
  • Message 72 of 144

2018-08-23, 18:24 PM

PureAllurePhoto what did the field technician said??

Options

3 Posts

08-25-2018

US

3 Signins

78 Page Views

• Views: 78
  • Message 73 of 144

2018-08-25, 4:35 AM

(Sorry in advance for the long post, but I believe I have a number of observations to add to the discussion)

I just received my Yoga 730 15" (The i7 model) a couple of days ago and like everyone else I seem to be experiencing the exact same throttling issues while gaming. I've been experimenting for the past day or so with GTA:V set to the GeForce Experience recommened settings, and trying various tweaks to see what could be done about it. Note that through my testing the laptop was placed on a cooling pad with good airflow so placement should be a non-factor when it comes to thermals. I have also made sure to update all Lenovo drivers and update to the latest BIOS that just came out, as well as update the gpu driver. 

This is what I've observed so far:

1. The throttling can be mitigated somewhat by going into Lenovo Vantage and disabling the "intelligent cooling" option, then selecting the performance setting. It still throttles the CPU, but only down to ~1.2Ghz rather than 0.8Ghz. Not ideal, obviously, but it did bring the framerate up from abysmally unplayable single digits into the 20-30fps range. What's interesting is that the GPU seemed to be throttling as well, going down to 70% usage where before it tended to stay pegged to 100%.

2. The throttling itself seems to be sporadic and unreliable, which made determining the exact effect of my various troubleshooting tweaks pretty difficult. I am certain about the "intelligent cooling" tweak mentioned above because the bahaviour predictably switched back and forwarth over and over whenever it was turned on or off, even after restarting the computer and such. Beyond that, I found that occasionally even with "intelligent cooling" enabled a different throttling pattern sometimes emerged where the CPU would rapidly switch between full turbo speeds and a slight underclock of roughly 1.8 Ghz while the GPU stayed at high usage. The framerate was higher, somewhere in the 40-50fps range and the temps increased significantly, tending to stay in the mid 80s and peaking into the mid 90s where before they were in the 60s peaking into the 70s. I still have no idea what caused this particular throttling behavior though, as I could not get it to occur reliably no matter what I tried to replicate it.

Conclusion:

I am not certain, but I think the throttling behavior might be caused by some kind of bug given the inconsistent behavior it displayed for me. However, I am also led to believe by the high temps observed when it wasn't throttling as much that to some extent the throttling may be by design for thermal reasons rather than power limit (Though this could also be because the fan doesn't seem to run as hard when "intelligent cooling" is enabled.) Again, this is all speculation but this behavior really is strangely inconsistent.. especially seeing as different things have worked for different users in this forum thread alone.

This is really a shame because from what I can see this is a widespread issue with the Yoga 730 and I really haven't seen much of a response on Lenovo's part. As this is primarily a computer I'll be using for student purposes (I already have a gaming desktop) I might not return it because I really like basically every other thing about it.. but there are also videos on Youtube of GTA:V benchmarks with the Yoga 720 on similar settings -easily- managing a consistent 60fps, something my 730 could only do for 30 seconds or so at best before throttling back. It really tempts me to return the computer and buy a 720 instead.

Options

4 Posts

08-23-2018

CA

6 Signins

52 Page Views

• Views: 52
  • Message 74 of 144

2018-08-25, 4:55 AM

I was able to contact management and it sounds like they have a mandate to fix the issue and there should be a BIOS update through vantage that should fix the problem in 2 to 3 weeks, me might finally be saved after all the effort 

Options

3 Posts

08-25-2018

US

3 Signins

78 Page Views

• Message 75 of 144

2018-08-25, 5:31 AM

Wow, really? That's fantastic news if so. Mind if I pry you for more details? I'm just curious how dedicated they sounded to fixing this throttling issue in particular.

Options

4 Posts

08-23-2018

CA

6 Signins

52 Page Views

• Views: 52
  • Message 76 of 144

2018-08-25, 5:49 AM

I didn't speak to management directly but I was with several associates in both hardware and software and they ended up accessing my laptop directly so I could show them the issue. After that I explained the thread and that everybody else was having the same issue as I and the associate spoke with management. When he got back to me all he said was the most recent BIOS update wasn't aimed to fix that problem but that they have a mandate to fix the issue with another BIOS update that should be available in 2-3 weeks. It sounded like they were aware and that one of the last updates were what caused the issue in the first place. I am afraid that when the issue is fixed there may be an overheating issue with the laptops unless they make software that is better able to control the cooling system and run the clock speed at a high but reasonable speed given the cooling fan's effectiveness. On the rare occasion I am able to keep the clock speed at a reasonable speed the temperatures of the processer range from 90 to 95 degrees Celsius which is what you'd expect from a highly overclocked processor, not one at factory settings. I hope they come up with a fix for both issues soon because high clock speeds are no use if your laptop has a meltdown. 

Options

3 Posts

08-25-2018

US

3 Signins

78 Page Views

• Message 77 of 144

2018-08-25, 6:03 AM

Well that certainly sounds like good news. On the cooling front, I mentioned in my original post that disabling the "intelligent cooling" option in Vantage seemed to make the fan run faster when it needed to, as evidenced by the fact that it was both noticably louder and throttled less. I mean I doubt the cooling is ever going to be amazingly good on a laptop like this and I imagine that in general it -will- need to thermal throttle to some extent, but it definitely seems like it shouldn't need to throttle nearly as much as it is currently. But yeah, it'd be nice if they included some kind of option for "max cooling" while plugged in and under high load or something. I know I certainly would rather have a loud laptop with a cool less-throttled CPU under load than the other way around.

Options

35 Posts

06-08-2018

US

52 Signins

321 Page Views

• Message 78 of 144

2018-08-27, 0:18 AM

This is great news.   I have already opted to trade back my Yoga 730 for a 720.  The difference between the two units is minimal but I agree the 730 should be amazing.  I really liked it and didn't want to send it back.  BUT....I received a 720 within 24 hours of requesting a replacement.   A field tech came to my business and replaced the motherboard, wifi card and also installed a 16GB stick of ram into the free slot.  Yes, you can upgrade your RAM beyond 16GB.  I currently am running 24GB in my replacement 720 and plan to up it to 40GB in the future.  Just remember that RAM speed is limited to the slowest stick.  

Anyway, I found a BIOS update available for my 730 two days ago which made no difference when gaming.  I hope they do produce a fix for it.  When speaking with my Case Manager he told me that there are a LOT of people upset about this issue.  I feel for him.  I bet he's getting worn out by upset clients and it is to be expected. 

I want to say that Lenovo customer support has been absolutely amazing for me.  Sure there are times you get an employee who is limited by a script.   Keep your cool and ask to speak with someone higher up.  If you have a legitimate claim and a positive attitude they will gladly help you out.  I needed this unit for photo editing and loved that I could game on it as well.  I've been through three units so far and it appears "Third time's a charm" might be true.  Pen and touch work well (though I admit the 730 does have the 720 beat by a hair).  The representatives in the Case Management department have been fantastic!  

I hope to see this issue resolved. I'd like to have a 730 that works as intended.  The Platinum version is quite a machine. 

Options

3 Posts

08-06-2018

US

11 Signins

55 Page Views

• Views: 55
  • Message 79 of 144

2018-08-27, 1:34 AM

Many of those new thin laptops with 8th gen and a Nvidia are not going to do well.  They will all throttle down after any real use.  7th gen had 45 watt and ran hot but consistent and the 8th gen have more cores so they tried to be cute and switch to 15 watt for better battery life and less heat...  yeah that works as long as you don't try to use it for anything productive.

We gave up looking and was happy to find a great deal on zbook 2x with 7th gen and quadro.  Then get a external gpu box for any real work.  The zbook x2 is a freaking beauty.  If yoga can do what they did then sure, that would be fine.  So I would say get a 720 with 7th gen and just deal with the heat.   The zbook x2 is built to pull air from the sides and push it out at the top.. Works great and stays cool.

No bios is going to help with the new 8th gen thin machines that also have nvidia.  Mineaswell get it with just integrated graphics and grab an Aorus gaming box for real power.

Options

35 Posts

06-08-2018

US

52 Signins

321 Page Views

• Message 80 of 144

2018-08-27, 14:19 PM

wrote:

We gave up looking and was happy to find a great deal on zbook 2x with 7th gen and quadro.  Then get a external gpu box for any real work.  The zbook x2 is a freaking beauty.  If yoga can do what they did then sure, that would be fine.  So I would say get a 720 with 7th gen and just deal with the heat.   The zbook x2 is built to pull air from the sides and push it out at the top.. Works great and stays cool.

No bios is going to help with the new 8th gen thin machines that also have nvidia.  Mineaswell get it with just integrated graphics and grab an Aorus gaming box for real power.

I haven't seen any heat issues with either of the Yoga 720's I own/owened or the 730.  The cooling systems work well though they could always be improved.  Anyone gaming with a laptop and not using a cooling pad is making a huge mistake.  I'm sure others have seen heating issues so I'm guessing I'm lucky.   The last time I monitored temps on my 720 and 730 they were staying in the 50-60 degree Celsius range with occassional spikes to 70.  I do use a cooling pad when gaming which will greatly reduce temps.  If someone were to game without a coolind pad I'd bet they would see thermal throttling quite often. 

The ZBook is definitely an amazing machine. Cooling ports on the side and top seem like a no brainer.  I never undestood why manufactureres put the intake ports on the bottom where dust is more likely to enter if the passage isn't blocked which happens on nearly any surface.   I considered getting a ZBook if this issue wasn't resolved.  I like the physical buttons on the screen for hotkeys.  The GPU isn't quite built for gaming but would work well.  Anyone purchasing a ZBook won't be disappointed.  They are great machines. And they are HP so BIOS aren't as restricted as Lenovo products are.   

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save