Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

12-15-2018

United States of America

6 Signins

47 Page Views

• Views: 47
  • Message 1 of 2

Yoga 730 Keyboard Repair Issues

2019-05-20, 21:28 PM

I have been experiencing issues with my Lenovo Yoga 730 15 inch laptop. Several keys on the keyboard stopped working at random times, including the right arrow, t, s, y, tab, and F12 keys. The shift key also had physical issues as it could not press all the way down. However, many of them would resume functioning properly then stop working again another time. On a given day, the affected keys were liable to not work at all, work after several presses, or work as if there had been no issues whatesoever. I tried updating and reinstalling the keyboard drivers but that did nothing to fix the problem.

When I had the chance, I took the laptop to the Best Buy I purchased it from and had it sent to a Lenovo repair center under the one-year warranty that comes with the device. I was told the repair could take 2 to 4 weeks but surprisingly received my laptop in one week. This was perfect because I needed my laptop since I would be leaving home for an extended period of time. I was told by the storeperson that the Lenovo repair team replaced the entire keyboard and replaced the device's upper case, including the screen. I found this to be pretty odd, since did not know of or report any problem with the screen or any part of the upper half of the computer. I just assumed they found something I did not know about. However, I was grateful for newer parts and did not question it since all of the keys seemed to be working.  

I then took the computer home and began putting all of my files back onto the device. Since I was in a dimly lit room, I attempted to turn on the keyboard's backlight to discover that it was no longer working. Before I sent it in, I had no trouble using the keyboard's backlight. I also noticed a couple of new scratches on the bottom of the laptop that were not there when I sent it in.  I took the computer right back to the store and had the Geek Squad take another look. They informed me that it would need to be sent back to be fixed again. Before I even had time to mention the scratches, they were significant enough that the guy helping me noticed them as well and asked me if they had been there before. I was unable to take pictures since I was sending the computer right back, but I told the representative that the scratches were new and he said that he would note that in the report he was sending to the team at the repair center.

Now I have to leave town without my computer because of issues resulting from a repair that was supposed to resolve existing issues. Because of the appearance of these scratches combined with the replacement of the upper case/screen, I cannot help but wonder if my device was mistreated or damaged in the process. While my device has been sent back to fix the new problems, I worry that I will receive my device in an even worse condition than I sent it.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with their Yoga 730 laptops and/or the Lenovo repair services? If so, were your issues resolved in the end? If not, what steps did you take/who did you contact to get your problems resolved?

TLDR: My Yoga 730 keyboard was having issues (random keys not working) and I sent it in for repairs under a warranty. I got it back with a new keyboard and the screen had also been replaced. However, the keyboard backlight didn't work and there were scratches on the device that hadn't been there before. I sent it back in for another repair and I am waiting to get my device back. Because of what just happened, I do not know if my device will come back in even worse shape or if it will ever be restored to its original functionality. I am curious if anyone else has had similar experiences, and if so, how things turned out for them.

Options

13198 Posts

11-30-2015

Philippines

7450 Signins

756090 Page Views

• Views: 756090
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Yoga 730 Keyboard Repair Issues

2019-05-21, 15:10 PM

Hi mds22,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

I have seen similar case that could happen in most major OEM computer repairs even among local repair centers as well. Such may perhaps be isolated cases for same reason reports are made by before receiving and after repairs.

I suggest that you keep your confidence among OEM repairs, as this is the contract of service they have commited with the end users. They have it covered as stipulated by the hardware warranty aggreement so if anything else would go wrong then they themselves can correct it to the satisfaction of the customers.

They did manage to notice probable issue with the screen aside from uppercase replacement.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms