Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dbryndel
Fanfold Paper
Views: 10,247
Message 1 of 17

Yoga 730 Memory

I got a Yoga 730 15" (81CU000UUS) and prior to purchase, I consulted with support and asked them, if I bought the i5 model with 8gb I would be able to upgrade down the road. They said yes, there is one free dimm slot. Well when I got it, I pulled the M2 to upgrade to a spare 512gb I had and also looked for the dimm slot, nothing. I see the soldered on cage with the existing 8gb dimm in it. My co worker has a Yoga 720 and his dimm slot is else where on the system board. Before I rip this thing about and ruin any warranty, has anyone got a clue on where this extra dimm slot is. I'm just hoping I wasn't misinformed by Lenovo support. I know on some of their Tiny series it's on the opposite side of the system board, but not sure on this.

Thanks in advaned for any help.

SeniorGuru
Views: 10,208
Message 2 of 17

Re: Yoga 730 Memory

You weren't misled. The Y730 has a DIMM slot that you can use to upgrade RAM.

See Yoga 730-15 IKB HMM page 38.

Bit Torrent
Views: 10,201
Message 3 of 17

Additional information:

Memory

16GB max / 2400MHz DDR4, dual-channel capable, 8GB memory soldered to systemboard, one DDR4 SO-DIMM socket

Reference:

http://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/Lenovo%20Tablets%20_%20Convertibles/Yoga%20730%20(15_)%20Int...

dbryndel
Fanfold Paper
Views: 10,150
Message 4 of 17

Thank you, I didnt think to  remove that cover!

PureAllurePhoto
Serial Port
Views: 9,475
Message 5 of 17

BTW - 16GB max is not true.  That's simply the maximum available as a prebuilt unit.  My 730 was running 24GB of RAM.  The largest stick soldered to the board is 8gb.  There is no 16GB soldered card so don't be confused.  I had the 16GB mode (8 soldered / 8 free). A technician doing a repair for Lenovo replaced the free slot 8GB card with a 16GB unit.  My system worked properly and utilzed all 24GB.  The thing to know is the the speed of your RAM will be set to match that of the soldered card.  Other than that it will work.  I returned my 730 due to a issues with power limit throttling while gaming.  I now own a 720 (4K, i7, 1TB SSD, 24GB RAM).  As you see, I have 24GB of RAM in my 720 as well.  It works perfectly.  I hope to install a 32GB card and find if it is truly utilized.  That would give me 40GB making my work in Photoshop much faster. If not then at least I'll know the true system limits. 

Maugha
SCSI Port
Views: 6,384
Message 6 of 17

I think the confusion on the memory comes from the 730 page under 'reviews and questions.  The guy answering the questions sometimes says yes and then says no and then...really has no idea what he's talking about OR does not understand the question (i.e. he doesn't know what he's talking about).  I asked the question, "Is this compatible with the 15" Yoga 730? If not can you tell me which one is?" and his response was, "Hi, Hope you are doing good. Yoga 730(15") only has only onboard memory. Not compatible with any SoDIMM meory. Thanks."

I think others have been confused by this answer as I know I have been. So I contacted Lenovo via chat. My question was, can you add additional RAM UP to 16 gigs. I have the 8 gig and want to ADD 8 more to make it a 16gig machine. Here's the chat transcript:

Then I went to the chat.  This guy was great and answered the question.  Here's the transcript: 

"Good Evening, in fact you can upgrade the memory of this laptop up to 16GB. You have 8GB soldered to the Motherboard, and you can upgrade the other 8GB for a total of 16GB"

I purchased the addition 8 gig ram and gave him the specs: ValueRAM 8GB 2400Mhz DDR4 Non-ECC CL17 SODIMM 1Rx8
He replied, "That is correct, you can upgrade it, so you can get a model with 8gb of Ram, and add the 8Gb you have."
And he confirmed again, "Yes, you can use that on the free slot, you must use DDR4 2400 Mhz, SODIMM that one will work without any issue."

So there you have it folks: Yoga 730 15inch IS upgradable IF your model is an 8 GIG model. You can only add up to 8 more gigs with the specs above; you cannot add 16 gigs in addition to the soldered in 8 gigs...

Anyway, I hope that this helps to clear up the confusion.  And I am sure my son will want to try the higher gigs.  

Maugha
SCSI Port
Views: 6,382
Message 7 of 17

THANK YOU!!!!
PureAllurePhoto
Serial Port
Views: 6,269
Message 8 of 17

@Maugha wrote:

So there you have it folks: Yoga 730 15inch IS upgradable IF your model is an 8 GIG model. You can only add up to 8 more gigs with the specs above; you cannot add 16 gigs in addition to the soldered in 8 gigs...

Anyway, I hope that this helps to clear up the confusion.  And I am sure my son will want to try the higher gigs.  

WRONG  -  LOL Once again someone who hasn't actually done the work themselves and comments just to sound smart.  Yes you can upgrade an 8 gig model to 16 gig if you have 8 soldered to the motherboard and an empty free slot.  YES YOU CAN INSTALL AND USE RAM GREATER THAN 8GB IN THE FREE SLOT.   I DID AND IT WAS INSTALLED AT THE REQUEST OF LENOVO. 

I had 24GB of RAM in my 730 as in I had 8GB soldered to the board + 16GB installed into the free slot.  That was performed by a technician who was working on my laptop from Lenovo.    I currently am typing this from a 720 with 24GB.    Don't beleive everything you read.  If you purhcase the correct RAM and install it you'll see for yourself that you can indeed upgrade the RAM past 16GB. 

Maugha
SCSI Port
Views: 6,257
Message 9 of 17

PureAllure:

First off, I posted before seeing your post and then Thanked you in another post for your information, which I have already passed on to my son. In no way was I trying to sound 'smart' and if you read my post it's obvious I was seeking an answer and repeated what I was told by Lenovo. It's sad to me that I was instantly 'judged' when in reality I was only searching for answers and trying to help others searching for the same thing.

Still, again, thank you for the info. Both my son (who is getting my 730) and I really appreciate your answer.
Maugha
SCSI Port
Views: 6,252
Message 10 of 17

Pure Allue:

Here's the text dated I sent to my son yesterday--so you are assured that I speak the truth and was NOT just 'trying' to be smart:

SAT 1:03 AM
Gotcha: I already purchased it, if you haven't yet, you can just pay me for it.
ALSO, I found out today that you CAN go above 16 GiGs ram. The guy said that saying a limit of 16 was for what LENOVO can initially put in. So, if you want to put in 24 by adding one 16 gig, you are able to do so.
I got pretty excited about that. And yes, the hard drives are NOT that expensive at all. I was kinda kicking myself looking at the prices because I could have purchased a cheaper model and upgraded. But honestly, I'm not that tech savvy to do that.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors