Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tcg876
What's DOS?
Views: 1,315
Message 11 of 30

Re: Yoga 730 egpu not charging

Just to clarify I mean the thunderbolt controller software, meaning the blue icon that pops up. Also the egpu only works when I restart my computer. Can't you please confirm that you were able to install the software I was talking about and using the egpu without having to power down? 

MitoZ
Paper Tape
Views: 1,264
Message 12 of 30

I have the same issue with charging using AGB 1080. Few days all was ok, but yesterday it's stop charging, after re-plug cable charging had started again, today it's not helps, and I had to try second port, and now it's works... but **bleep**
when it was connected to the 1 port (closest to the screen) and I had rebooted yoga, I saw attention message that current charger is not enaugth to charge laptop
I'll try to downgrade TB3 driver to the microsoft version, mb It'll help...
UPD: And yeap, it helped! I had unpluged eGPU, uninstalled TB3 software, and removed TB3 controller with drivers from hardware list? then cleanuped drive C, rebooted laptop, connected egpu to the 1 port, and noting... no any reaction, reconnected it, windows had shown charging and started to install device...
UPD2: Issue appears again. Restart 1-2 times helps. Mb this is a problem with power of AGB, I'll ask about it gigabyte support.

usmansheikh
What's DOS?
Views: 1,088
Message 13 of 30

thank you so much for posting this thread. 

i had the a similar issue. I just received my 2070 gaming box. 

set it up. plugged it in, came on but no RGB and not charging. 

updated firmware for both the gaming box and then from intel on the thunderbolt software just to make sure, and no luck. 

i RMA'd it today and should have a new one tomorrow.

rbromley10
Paper Tape
Views: 1,031
Message 14 of 30

I have this exact problem as well, with my eGPU not consistently charging the yoga 730. However I'm currently using a Razer Core X Chroma with a R9 Fury in it, so this seems like its ocurring with almost any eGPU.

Anyone found an actual fix other than just replacing the unit?

borky06
Paper Tape
Views: 965
Message 15 of 30

I bought a Yoga 730-13IKB laptop which i coupled with an Aorus 1070 Gaming box. I was having the same problems described by the others here, i connect my gamming box to it and the charging does not start, everything else functions correctly.

Sometimes the charging starts(apparently seems random), so after a week of trial and error(drivers/bios/firmware changes/windows reinstalls/wifi checks) i managed to reproduce the problem each time.

In my case i observed that when i feed light directly on the ambient light sensor of the laptop the charging starts, when i switch of the light the charging stops, very strange behavior but i can reproduce it 100% of a time and also if i do this a couple of times it will remain stuck in charging mode and everything works as expected.

The light sensor is located a couple of cm on the left side of the laptop's camera.

Can anyone of you try this and see if it is the same behavior? Also does anyone have an idea what can cause this issue? why the light sensor is somehow connected to the thunderbolt port?

rbromley10
Paper Tape
Views: 942
Message 16 of 30

I just tested what you proposed and I'm getting the same results Borky.

Super easy to test and very reproducable, putting the computer under a light and repeatedly covering and uncovering the light sensor with a finger does the trick.

Very weird behaviour, but that would explain why my laptop would charge during the day and stop in the evenings. I thought it was being throttled somehow because I work through the day and come home for some gaming in the evening, but this makes more sense now.

Unfortunately I have no idea what would cause this, seems like an unintended bug to me. 

HackinDoge
What's DOS?
Views: 910
Message 17 of 30

Thank you so much!! I thought the tablet mode solution was the only salvation, but this seems even more reproducable than even that!

I've also found that disconnecting the battery helps with a stable charge via eGPU. I believe pressing and holding the power button for ~15 seconds has a similar effect.

I wish Lenovo would offer a solid fix for this. The entire reason I got this laptop was for the eGPU functionality, and in the highest irony it's the most unstable part about it.
Highlighted
rbromley10
Paper Tape
Views: 903
Message 18 of 30

I know haha, same reason I bought the laptop as well to be honest. But its very likely that lenovo isn't even aware of this behaviour yet.

I’d suggest getting in contact with support and seeing if they can get it escalated and eventually perhaps we could see a fix, as to me this seems like a bug somewhere in the bios or drivers or something as it is occurring with all the yoga 730’s.

I know I’m going to make an attempt with support about it, up until now they’ve just told me to take my laptop in and get it checked as I had narrowed the problem down to the laptop, not the egpu. But now I’ve got something more than “its not working correctly” to throw at them.
borky06
Paper Tape
Views: 892
Message 19 of 30

Nice to hear that this is reproduceble also for you.

This means that this is common for this model and lets hope that if we contact Lenovo they will provide a fix or that someone from Lenovo reads these post.

I just hope it is just bios/firmware/SW related and not HW.

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 820
Message 20 of 30

Kudos to borky06 for the discovery; the cause is likely some USB-C mis-communication / -negotiation happening between the devices. I've passed the information along to engineers however as the eGPU is an unsupported charging device I cannot promise any positive response other than only Lenovo charging devices are fully supported, I hope I am wrong.

Andy

English Community Leader
Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star below their post awarding them Kudos

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors