Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
majo1r
Paper Tape
Views: 1,614
Message 1 of 28

Yoga 730 egpu not charging

I have Aorus gaming box 1070 which I am connecting to Lenovo Yoga 730 13-IKB laptop. Everything works fine except the docking station won´t charge my laptop. The laptop has 65W adapter so the gaming box should provide more than enough power. I have tried all three versions of firmware fom gigabyte with no luck. The laptop charges normaly with suplied lenovo charger. The latop has two thunderbolt ports and if I connect the gaming box and the normal charger the laptop still won´t charge, if I then disconnect the gaing box leaving only the lenovo charger the laptop starts charging again. 

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,579
Message 2 of 28

Re: Yoga 730 egpu not charging

Hi majo1r,

Welcome to the community forums.

Has it worked before? Any chance you've tried to use a 3.0 USB to charge the laptop? If you do and still doing the same thing, it is possible that this is a limitation or compatibility issue.

Regards.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Pixuhl
Paper Tape
Views: 1,527
Message 3 of 28

I have this problem with the RX 580 Gaming Box, which is also made by Gigabyte. There have been a few ocasions where everything randomly works, whether that is with only the Thunderbolt 3 cable plugged in or with the charging cable plugged in. I would say 95% of the time, my laptop will not charge if the eGPU enclosure is plugged in, even if the 65W Lenovo USB C charger is also plugged in. If I start the laptop from a cold boot or restart with the eGPU plugged in, I am met with a black warning screen before boot that says something like the Wattage of the AC adapter could not be determined, press ESC to continue. So i press ESC, boot into Windows, and I have to either run off of battery power or unplug the eGPU enclosure.

I have the latest BIOS for the YOGA 730 and also the latest firmware for the Thunderbolt Driver.

My observation is that the laptop does not allow the enclosure to supply power because the laptop cannot determine the wattage of the enclosure (should be 100W). If Lenovo could write that into a BIOS revision, that would be great. Or maybe Gigabyte needs a firmware update that handshakes better with the Lenovo YOGA 730. I'm not sure, these are just guesses.

I have been able to replicate the charging ability of the enclosure if I "Remove the selected device" in the Thunderbolt software. The enclosure at that point will not work as a graphics card but it is able to provide power to the laptop.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,518
Message 4 of 28

Hi Majo1r! Base on the information you've provided, your Yoga 730 works fine. The firmware is up to date. Have you tried getting in touch with Gigabyte support to check if there is an update or steps that needs to be done to fix this?

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Monaso
Paper Tape
Views: 1,284
Message 5 of 28

Has anyone figured this out?  I just bought an external 580 gaming box and it doesn’t charge my yoga 730

majo1r
Paper Tape
Views: 1,254
Message 6 of 28

In short, yeah I figured it out. Returned the gaming box a and bought another one which works. The irony is it is the exact same model. With the first one I have had exactly the same problems as @Pixuhl describes. The new Gaming box doestn´t exhibit any of these problems, although it isn´t 100% reliable. Occasionally it when it is connected drops power or doesn´t start charging right after connection same as the first Gaming box I had. But simple disconect and connect again always fixes the problem. So I suspect it is a software problem. I tried comunicating with Gigabyte support but it was a wasete of time. They were not helpfull at all.

Monaso
Paper Tape
Views: 1,191
Message 7 of 28

So currently everything works fine with your 1070 gaming box?  So I should just return my 580 and get the 1070?

majo1r
Paper Tape
Views: 1,187
Message 8 of 28

Yes, everything now works fine. From personal experience I would say there´s a decent chance that something is wrong with your current gaming box. So if you can exchange it I suggest you do so. Although I don´t really know what the problem was so I might have been just lucky that it worked for the second time somehow and it will not solve your problem. But I guess it is worth a try

Tcg876
What's DOS?
Views: 1,128
Message 9 of 28

Hi 

I have a similar problem as well and cannot for the life of me distinguish between the egpu (same one as you the 1070) or the lenovo 730. Sometimes power goes to it and sometimes it doesn't. One thing I did notice is that I am unable to install the thunderbolt 3 controller driver (usually when you plug in a thunderbolt 3 device windows recognizes it and has software for it). The drivers and everything works but the problem is I cannot charge the device even with the lenovo charger otherwise I wouldn't care too much. Someone was talking on reddit about going into tablet mode and it works, didn't for me. Are you still encountering this charging issue even with the new box? I know you said it was fixed but curious if that still is the case. 

Please let me know, I am done going down the rabbit hole on this issue.

Thanks 

majo1r
Paper Tape
Views: 1,112
Message 10 of 28

Yes it still works, although I had no problem installing thunderbolt driver as you mentioned. Now after windows 10 october (version 1809) update it seems the reliability has improved even further. Hope this hepls.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors