Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rbromley10
Paper Tape
Views: 479
Message 21 of 30

Re: Yoga 730 egpu not charging

That’s awesome, thanks Andy! Keeping my fingers crossed on this one!
borky06
Paper Tape
Views: 468
Message 22 of 30

Thanks Andy. Please keep us posted.

HackinDoge
What's DOS?
Views: 463
Message 23 of 30

Thank you Andy!  After a ~year of dealing with this issue, it's great to finally see some kind of meaningful official response from you guys.

Because of this issue, I was honestly planning on jumping ship to a different-branded Ice Lake laptop--when those eventually drop.  But if this gets fixed I'm definitely going to be sticking it out with this laptop for much longer.

Reslate
Fanfold Paper
Views: 360
Message 24 of 30

I have the same problem with my Yoga 730 13 and Core X which is rated to deliver 100W.

Thanks Andy, I hope for good news.

majo1r
Paper Tape
Views: 339
Message 25 of 30

I too can reproduce this issue on m laptop, with Aorus Gaming Box (GTX 1070).

jkleconquerant
Paper Tape
Views: 319
Message 26 of 30

Thank you all !!!

I own the Yoga 730-IWL and the Razer Core X Chroma.

Indeed, while having the same issues (laptop not charging with eGPU), feeding light to the laptop makes it charge !

I can live in peace with that.

Thank you my heroes, you really are my saviors and thank you so much Reslate for directing me to this topic and this solution.

Much love !

J.K.

Reslate
Fanfold Paper
Views: 275
Message 27 of 30

Hey Andy, are there any updates regarding this issue?

swapneeldatta
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 246
Message 28 of 30

It's funny, the reason why I comment on this thread is because I faced a similar issue, albeit on my yoga 920-13ikb. I connected it to a Dell thunderbolt dock which in turn was connected to two monitors, and a very weird thing I noticed was that either the monitors would run or the laptop would start charging, not both. My Dell dock delivers 130 watts which should have been more than sufficient to charge the laptop.

I wonder if it is in some way related to the discovery mentioned in this thread.

BauaMomo
What's DOS?
Views: 90
Message 29 of 30

Got any updates?

loogle
What's DOS?
Views: 40
Message 30 of 30

Like many of you, I've encountered this issue and can repeatably fix it by shining a light on the light sensor to the left of the webcam.
While we're waiting for a driver fix (hopefully), I found a workaround as long as you don't move the laptop around too much:

1. Cover the light sensor with 4-8 sticky note layers (depending on thickness and color)

2. With the eGPU connected, shine a bright light on the sensor through the sticky notes

3. Watch for the charging light to come on, wait for a second, then turn off the light. It doesn't work if you shift the light away; you have to turn the light off.

4. Congrats. Your laptop will continue to charge as long as the light level the sensor sees doesn't change.

Hope this helps!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors