Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

04-29-2021

Canada

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 31 of 40

Re:Yoga 730 hinge / cracked screen / warranty issue

2021-05-04, 0:31 AM

My mail mentioning  this manufacturing defect, was removed by moderator for breach of forum guidelines, and I respect that.

But I must be allowed to repeat that I find it quite astonishing that Lenovo refuses to recognize that this issue is a serious manufacturing defect that renders the laptops useless long before their intended and usual lifespan.  The amounts of complains should be evidence enough.

And the fact that Lenovo blames the users for this specific defect is just unbelievable.

Here is a photo of my laptop with a loosened hinge braking through the screen.

Removed comment regarding the same breach of Forum Guidelines. 

Lenovo Yoga 730 defect hinge and broken screen.

Options

1 Posts

05-06-2021

United States of America

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 32 of 40

2021-05-06, 21:18 PM

Absolutely ridiculous. My screen just cracked in the same spot as most of yours - just at the left hinge. It's spread fully across the screen and my touch screen no longer works. Very disappointed as this laptop is just over a year old. Will not be purchasing this brand again.  

Options

3 Posts

05-23-2021

United States of America

1 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 33 of 40

2021-05-23, 11:33 AM

I have the same issues as so many others - right hinge on my Yoga 730 broke and it has cracked my screen. I took it to Best Buy - it is out of warranty. They would ship it for $80 and estimated  a repair of the hinge and screen to be $300- $400 and weeks of wait time. After researching, this is clearly a design flaw with so many people reporting the same issue. That's insane. The laptop has never left my home, it was not dropped, the hinge just broke. I just finished paying off my credit card for this computer 4 months ago and now I am being told I can spend almost half of the original cost to repair a design issue? Touch screen doesn't work either. I will never by a Lenovo product again.

Broken hinge and cracked screen

Options

6 Posts

12-30-2019

Finland

15 Signins

163 Page Views

• Views: 163
  • Message 34 of 40

2021-06-10, 5:31 AM

Thank you all for sharing your experience and especially the pictures and sorry to hear that you are one of the victims.

If you check the previous posts, I had the screen crack under the left hinge like many others.

I went through the warranty claim process with Lenovo. THEY checked the device and concluded that the crack in the display was caused by CID (Customer Induced Damage). Repair caused me 280 euros (~344 USD) and I had to wait about 2 months.

Regarding the brand Lenovo… During my professional career +20 years, I have always had Thinkpad laptops so also when IBM still owned the brand. My Thinkpads have very reliable, no screen cracks 😉 and I have been very satisfied with them. I have now X280 from my employer and I like. I also have Lenovo Desktop computer and it’s already 6 years old and still running pretty ok. Anyway, all this good experience made me to invest 1000 euros (~1216 USD) to “Lenovo” Yoga 730 for my daughter.

During the warranty claim process I learned that our Yoga 730 might not actually be a Lenovo product per se (in same way Thinkpads are) but from company called Medion. My understanding is that Lenovo has bought Medion in 2011 and they are selling all products under brand “Lenovo”. In my case the initial contact was to Lenovo but after that I dealt with entities that were clearly somehow related to Medion. This includes the fact that I made my repair payment to “MEDION Nordic A/S”, the email exchange happened with people having words “MEDION AG – A Lenovo Company” in their signature, etc.

LENOVO ACQUIRES MEDION AG TO EXPAND ITS BUSINESS IN WESTERN EUROPE | Lenovo StoryHub

Everyone can make their own conclusions, I certainly have made mine. As stated by many here, it’s unbelievable that this kind of global company will not accept their responsibility in this matter. I trusted Lenovo and that's why I bought a Lenovo laptop and many other their products (tablets, screens, desktop)

It’s 100% evident that screen cracks and hinge issues are not CID (Customer Induced Damage). Everyone can see that, except Lenovo obviously.

Options

11 Posts

09-23-2019

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

17 Signins

182 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 182
  • Message 35 of 40

2021-06-10, 6:57 AM

You know that, I know that, Lenovo know that. Their arrogance is unbelievable. They tell us the world is square and we are all supposed to accept it and shut up. :(

Options

3120 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

193 Signins

17879 Page Views

• Views: 17879
  • Message 36 of 40

2021-06-14, 16:42 PM

Hi all, 

Sorry to know that you have experienced such incident like this, but I would still suggest trying to reach out to the technical team and to discuss further with your side on the matter.

Do have open communication with them if you feel strongly on your point and to have them investigate what transpired on the machine if needed.

Regards.
Dex

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

8 Posts

06-07-2021

United States of America

10 Signins

70 Page Views

• Views: 70
  • Message 37 of 40

2021-06-14, 18:36 PM

Dex,

I appreciate your attempt to help but I have contacted the technical team again with no luck. I have contacted them 4 times since June 4. 

June 4: I contacted them about warranty service after receiving the estimate ( $340) from local technician ( that was suggested to me by Lenovo) to see if they would cover the cost of this. They basically said because I did not purchase additional warranty they would not cover accidental damage to the device. I asked multiple times to speak with someone who could help me if the representative I had on the phone could not help me. They claimed the supervisor was busy. 

June 5:  I went back to the website and submitted another service request and submitted pictures and the estimate provided by our local technician and received another automated response and a NEW case number.  

"This damage on the PC does not void the warranty entitlement and as an option, we can still offer warranty claim and have this machine repaired; however, this is going to be a billable repair, our technicians will send the billable quotation after diagnosing the extent of damage. Furthermore, the repair will only proceed once the charges has been settled. With regards to the estimation of the price, we cannot exactly drop a specific amount as it will depend on the technicians who will be working on the computer."

June 8:I called Lenovo again. He created a NEW Case # .I spoke with a representative for 24 minutes and explained the situation with the defective hinges and stated I wanted to escalate my case. Again, no supervisor was available but the representative was advised by his supervisor to tell me to retrieve the device from the local technician and have it shipped to Lenovo for diagnosis. He also stated he wanted additional pictures to support my case. I explained I has already submitted pictures the last time I submitted and inquiry online but he did not have access to those. ( Different CASE #)  I asked how I would ship the device to them one I retrieved it. He explained they would send me a Fed Ex label and box to ship it to Lenovo. I asked what was my next step once I got the device. I was instructed to call them back AGAIN once I got my device and set up shipping to them.

June 9 I retrieved the device from our local technician having had no repairs done.

June 11  I called Lenovo again and spoke with Frankie and she transferred me to Echo( the representative I spoke with on June 8) I gave him my original Case Number. He verified my name, email and phone number and gave a brief synopsis of what I had been instructed to do. Echo explained that standard warranty would not cover the damage to the machine but asked me to send him pictures of the device to him via email. Which I did while he waited on the phone. Echo acknowledged receipt of the photos and again stated I would probably have to pay for the repairs. He asked if I would like him to prepare the Label and box for shipping. I responded yes but I did not intend to pay for repairs for a defective machine.

He placed me on hold to prepare the label and I was actually transferred back to the Main Line where I had to select options to talk to a representative again. We had been on the phone for 34 minutes at this point. 

When a NEW representative answered the call, the connection was scratchy and garbled. I explained that I could not hear them. They asked me to hold and I got hung up on.

I called once again and got through to a representative( Sarah?). I briefly explained why I was calling again( to get a label and box to ship my device to them) Sarah verified my Case # from June 8. 

She said my device is not covered under standard warranty and since we did not purchase accidental damage warranty they could do nothing. I could take my device to our local technician and have it repaired at my expense!! 

They also created another NEW case number. 

I explained that the last rep I spoke with was preparing a label and a box for me to ship my device to Lenovo. She stated that since my device does not have the warranty to cover accidental damage they WILL NOT pay to have me ship it to them. They would not send a label or box or even look at it.  This call lasted 14 minutes. 

So Dex, while I appreciate your comment about how I should keep trying technical support, I am tired of the run around and pretty awful customer service.

Lenovo has made no attempt to contact me to resolve this issue- they have my phone number and email. They verified it a number of times on the phone when I have called. They should have called/emailed me back when they dropped my call on June 11 but no one did.

They will not take responsibility for defective parts on their device. They have made to legitimate attempt to make this right.

Essentially, I have been told that because I did not purchase an additional accidental damage warranty they will not fix nor replace the defective hinges on my device. 

Options

11 Posts

09-23-2019

17 Signins

182 Page Views

• Views: 182
  • Message 38 of 40

2021-06-14, 19:25 PM

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestion.

Having wasted a considerable amount of my time trying to reason with lenovo "Support" before to absolutely no avail, why would I want to waste another minute of my time on this. Utterly futile and entirely predictable in outcome.

Dean

Options

4578 Posts

12-11-2015

United States of America

4656 Signins

53527 Page Views

• Views: 53527
  • Message 39 of 40

2021-06-14, 22:22 PM

It is unfortunate that Lenovo is willing to lose customers, as well as earn a reputation of building poor quality laptops, because their "glue on hinge mount" is clearly a indication of poor design.   

For Lenovo to even claim that it is accidental damage is absurd, because Lenovo knows full well that the problem is 100% the result of the adhesive they used failing, and that its failure is no accident on the part of the user.     I know that some of the victims of Lenovo glued on hinge failures have been able to force Lenovo to take responsibility, but I cannot suggest what steps that may take in this forum.     

Best of luck, 

Options

2 Posts

07-30-2021

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 40 of 40

2021-07-30, 12:54 PM

Another laptop here with a hinge that is faulty and causes screen damage. I've been back and forth for weeks and still not had the laptop fixed as it is apparently customer induced damage. Its a flex laptop and the hinge has seized I honestly cannot understand how this is customer induced! 

I have escalated it and again they are not prepared to do anything to help. 

The last guy I spoke to at customer services accused me offing and trying to get something for free!!! 

The laptop is 7 months old and beyond use now. I think I deserve to question their warranty. However I now feel at a loss as they are unwilling to escalate further. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms