Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Phoenix55b
Fanfold Paper
Views: 14,484
Message 11 of 62

Re: Yoga 730 i7 constantly losing wifi connection

I got my Yoga 730-13 i7 back from repair yesterday and now it works perfectly.  They replaced the Realtek with an Intel 8265 and I couldn't be happier.

Hopefully Lenovo learns from this and stops using the Realtek wifi.

Chessrules1007
Paper Tape
Views: 14,343
Message 12 of 62

Which company specifically did you get the repair done by? Lenovo directly or from perhaps where you purchased it (for example, Best Buy)? I have the Lenovo Y730 15-inch and having the same issue as everyone here and trying to see where’s the best place to get this terrible Realtek WiFi upgraded to an Intel WiFi card. 

I realIze I could do it myself but would be nice for someone else to do it since I just bought it. 

thank you!

Phoenix55b
Fanfold Paper
Views: 14,338
Message 13 of 62

It was repaired under warranty by Lenovo.

If I knew that switching to an Intel wifi would definately fix it, I would have just purchased the the Intel card and swapped it myself.

I can guarantee you that the Intel 8265 is currently in my Lenovo Yoga 730-13 and it works perfectly.

Chessrules1007
Paper Tape
Views: 14,334
Message 14 of 62

Thank you for the info. Did you have just the standard limited warranty? I have the standard 1-year limited warranty. I just got off the phone with Lenovo support and they said they could replace the WiFi card but it would be the same exact one (Realtek). How were you able for Lenovo to swap it out with an Intel based WiFi card?

Phoenix55b
Fanfold Paper
Views: 14,310
Message 15 of 62

Yes, I have the same warranty and had to mail it in for repair.  They told me the same thing about using another Realtek, but when I got it back, it had the Intel 8265.

If you have any tech ability, I recommend going to youtube and watching the video on swapping the wifi card and simply hitting up ebay for an Intel 8265.

I know that having to spend money on a new computer is bad, but if you send it in, it will be at least 2 weeks until you get it back with no guarantees of getting the Intel wifi.

Rene001
Fanfold Paper
Views: 14,301
Message 16 of 62

If anybody wants to replace the card by himself:

It's easy, but there is one little Challenge: To remove the Cover from the Device. I opened it twice, but didn't really get the trick to remove the Cover at the side where the hinges were... but lets start at the beginning (i keep it short):

- remove the screws

- slide along the edges with something stable to tear the backcover apart from the device. I did it with a plectrum-shaped plastic tool. Don't use metal (Scratches). Leave the Hinge-Side as is at first. If you are finished with the 3 sides, you have to do this on the remaining side, but only on the most left/most right (in another words: don't try this between the hinges).

Now lift of 3-4cm the front part (not the hinge-side!). Here is the part with the Challenge: I tried to pull the "lift of"-part away from the hinges.

grafik.png

- remove the black tape at the wlan-card (red rectangle, top side, where black + white antenna cables end).

- remove the antenna cables

- remove the screw, which fixes the card.

- replace wlan card

- now: everything in reverse

Caution: the black and white color-coding must match with the coding on the wlan card. (black is main, white is aux). My first intel-card had the main/aux antennas inverted but there is always a label on the wlan-card.

If you need better description, take a look at the ifixit-article for the 720: https://de.ifixit.com/Device/Lenovo_Yoga_720

The part about the cover is pretty much the same. I think with this and the recommendation from Phoenix55b about how to replace the card it should be doable Smiley Happy

As described previously in this thread, i replaced my Realtek by a Intel AC9260.

I can't say anything about warranty, but one thing: there are no seals or something like this. I spotted one on the SSD-Screw, but nowhere else.

drimway
Paper Tape
Views: 13,823
Message 17 of 62

This issue is not solved. Why it says it is solved? My technical support didn't solve anything, so it is not solved. And my technical support won't care it anymore. They told me they just check the software... great work, I hope Lenovo pays them a lot for their efforts.

Touvan
Paper Tape
Views: 13,751
Message 18 of 62

I ended up doing this replacment myself - once I put the Intel wifi module in, no more disconnects. Interestingly, my daughter's HP Envy has the same horrible Broadcom chip in it, and it did the same thing. I replaced hers with a slightly newer Intel wifi module, and it also solved the problem.

The really annoying, is almost certain this is a software problem (or at least software induced) because it got worse, and more permenant after updating the latest drivers. Before that it wasn't great, but it wasn't as terrible. Broadcom needs to handle their business with these wifi modules.

[Moderator note: Edited per forum rules.]

Chessrules1007
Paper Tape
Views: 13,690
Message 19 of 62

Hi all, update for you: installing the Intel 8265 has been a significant improvement for this laptop! I was about to either return, sell, or throw this laptop out the window before because the WiFi card was so gosh darn horrible. I now have zero issues with any connection settings and it's been about 2 weeks since I installed the new WiFi card. I decided to do it myself because after reading this forum and some YouTube videos it looked fairly easy and the cost computer repair shops were wanting to charge after making a few calls in my area was ridiculously overpriced.

Since I didn't have any tools so I could do the repair myself, I purchased this iFixit kit:

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Tools/Essential-Electronics-Toolkit-Magnetic-Project-Mat-Bundle/IF145-4...

I used this Yoga 720 guide (not the same model, but the internals and screw placement is the same from what I could find):

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Lenovo+Yoga+720+Wireless+Adapter+Replacement/102473

I did not remove the battery when doing the repair, just because I didn't feel like it was necessary or I was just too lazy to do that step.

This YouTube video also was helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7UuC9adCO8

Having the magnetic mat really helped with not loosing any screws from the laptop. The screwdrivers provided by iFixit are really nice too since they are magnetic.  I did have some trouble with two of the screws - I stipped the heads of them on accident. I ended up tossing one of those screws - just be careful with how you remove and insert the screws.

Just a thought, if you're going to upgrade the WiFi card when you have opened up this machine, it might be in your benefit to go ahead and do anything else you might want to upgrade (RAM and storage).

Bryan_Nagle25
Paper Tape
Views: 13,296
Message 20 of 62

I have a Yoga 730 with Intel core i5 8th generation.  I have performed the proceedure as listed above.  I have even taken it to Best Buy where Lenovo has a contract for service.  They said they could not find a problem and everything works as it is supposed to.  I bring it home and in 24 hours, I have the exact same problem.  I have read on Lenovo community boards that because this machine has a Realtek card and not an Intel card, I will continue to have a problem.  This is appearently known by Lenovo but they choose not to update.  I would like guidance on how to remedy this problem.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors