Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
redplanet
Paper Tape
Views: 139
Message 1 of 3

Yoga 730 - mic and feedback trouble

Hey gang,

I have a customer who has a Yoga 730-15IKB. It has a Realtek sound chip. Whenever she tries to use the microphone it creates a hideous feedback noise. I updated the audio drivers and BIOS. I also went into the Realtek sound manager and disabled all of the customizations that came pre-loaded. If anything it makes things worse. She uses Skype to give seminars so it makes this computer unusable.

My question is if this is design flaw or something else. Poking around various Internet forums I've seen others complain of the same trouble with this model.

Cheers.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 107
Message 2 of 3

Re: Yoga 730 - mic and feedback trouble

Welcome to the Community

Does this only happen with Skype?

In Settings>System>Sound under "input device" it should have the RealTek microphone array selected. Test the microphone there to see if the sound bar behaves as expected. 

What happens if she runs the spearkers all the way down to 2%?  Does the feedback go away or get lower?

Second test to try: Enable Cortana and allow access to the microphone. See if it still happens or if she can command Cortana normally.

Let us know what happens.

Doc

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
redplanet
Paper Tape
Views: 93
Message 3 of 3

Re: Yoga 730 - mic and feedback trouble

Hey there. Thank you for responding.

I have Cortana disabled on all of the machines I admin.

If I drop the volume down to very low the problem is present but not as bad - still clearly unusable. Also, the green mic bars do move around when I speak.

It isn't just Skype, although the audio settings in the control panel reset every time I open Skype. Even just playing around with the voice recorder and Audacity it's the same problem. For that matter she needs to keep the volume muted just to keep it from acting up on it's own.

She wants to jettison the machine and get another one. I just want to see if there's any way to fix it.

I fix hardware for a living so I'm just trying to narrow it all down. Odd problem.

Thank you.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors