Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hedgemaze
Paper Tape
Views: 608
Message 1 of 6

Yoga 730 no wifi on battery power

I got this laptop a few days ago and have yet to get it to work stably. 

The first problem: wifi works fine when the laptop is plugged in, but on battery power, wifi will stop working somewhere between immediately and in ten minutes. Other laptops and devices, including my aunt's (also recent, also Windows 10) Lenovo Flex 14, on the same wifi network have no issues.

When it loses the connection, it usually still shows full bars and says it is connected, but the Internet will not work. Sometimes it will give the yellow triangle. If I run the windows network diagnostic troubleshooter, it will always give a "the default gateway is not available" error, which it will say it fixed, and sometimes also a "the connection between your access point, router, or cable modem and the Internet is broken" error, which it merely shows as detected. Running the troubleshooter will fix the problem for a minute or so before it recurs again, or I plug in the machine and disconnect/reconnect the wifi. The connection will not come back unless I intervene [edit: run the troubleshooter AND plug it in; reconnecting the wifi alone won't work].

I have tried so many different solutions; nothing has helped. Some things I've tried:

• rebooting the modem and router
  • uninstalling mcafee
  • temporarily disabling windows firewall, specifically whitelisting programs, changing settings
  • checking for windows updates
  • looking for newer network adapter drivers, uninstalling/reinstalling the driver, trying different drivers, [edit: rolling back the driver]
  • under power options > wireless adapter settings, setting the power saving mode on battery to "maximum performance" 
  • turning system unattended sleep timeout from 2 minutes to 0/off
  • under device manager > network adapters, unchecking "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"
  • command line ip reset, etc.
  • disabling wifi direct virtual adapter
  • turning off bluetooth
  • refreshing windows
  • [edit: disabling remote differential compression api support]
  • probably other things I'm not remembering right now

Additionally, now I have the inexplicable new problem where with the AC adapter plugged in, the laptop will just stay at whatever battery % it was at and give me a "plugged in, not charging" message. Lenovo vantage's battery conservation mode is turned off, so it's not that. [edit: figured it out, not charging over 95% is a "feature"]

What can I do to fix these this? I'm out of ideas and I'm tired.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 564
Message 2 of 6

Re: Yoga 730 no wifi on battery / "plugged in, not charging"

Hi hedgemaze,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Kindly try the remaining steps here https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht502846

Hope this helps, let us know how you get on.

Regards.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

hedgemaze
Paper Tape
Views: 552
Message 3 of 6

I appreciate the reply, Moe, and I tried the one or two solutions listed there that I hadn't already. None of those solutions fixed the problem.

The problem only happens on battery power, which is why I believe the problem is something beyond general wifi issues.  

I did solve the "plugged in, not charging" problem on my own, though-- apparently not charging beyond 95% is supposed to be a feature, not a bug.

hedgemaze
Paper Tape
Views: 548
Message 4 of 6

The only solutions I can find on this forum that actually worked for people were to send the machine back to Lenovo to install a different network card. Is this the necessary solution? I do, in fact, have the dreaded Realtek RTL8822BE card that both posts mention.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/Levono-Yoga-730-13-WiFI-constantly-disconn...

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/Yoga-730-i7-constantly-losing-wifi-connect...

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 539
Message 5 of 6

Re:

Hi hedgemaze, Thanks for trying those troubleshooting steps. We would like to confirm does your machine have a Realtek 8822BE card? If yes, try these steps.

Download this Driver:

https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/r0prw12w.exe

Go to device manager
Expand network adapters
right click wifi card driver and uninstall (Click tickbox to delete driver software)
Install downloaded driver
Restart computer
Test if it works.

Let us know how this goes. Thanks.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

hedgemaze
Paper Tape
Views: 504
Message 6 of 6

Re: Re:

Thanks, Jack. I do have that network card, but I actually solved the problem by installing this driver:

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds120181

Thank you to you and Moe for attempting to help me! I'm glad this is fixed now.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors