Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 286
Message 1 of 7

Yoga 730 screen lid misaligned

Hi everyone,

Yesterday I bought a Yoga 730 13.3" and this morning I noticed a misalignment of the lid of around 1-2mm.

To give an idea, this is an exaggerated representation.

Example.png

Here are some images:

IMG_20190824_111326.jpgIMG_20190824_111354.jpg3.png

Is this somewhat common? I have no way to cross-check as i ordered it online and while I may live with it if this is common/within tolerances, I am also evaluating going for a replacement.

Guru
Views: 249
Message 2 of 7

Re: Yoga 730 screen lid misaligned

Welcome to the forums.  Osrry to hear about your problem.  I do not speak for Lenovo.  If that happened to me I would ask for an exchange immediately.  I think if you kept it after a while it would start to bother you everytime you noticed the misalignement.  So ask for an exchange.

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an”Accepted Solution“!
 If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a "Kudo"!

I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. I will not respond to unsolicited private messages. Questions belong in the forum so it may   help other forum members as well.
 T490, TP 25 Retro, X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, W510 850 EVO, A30p
 Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 221
Message 3 of 7

Re: Yoga 730 screen lid misaligned

That's what I'm going to do today. Hopefully the defect is eligible for a replacement and the next unit is free of problems.

Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 193
Message 4 of 7

From bad to worse!

Went today and they promptly exchanged it.

Everything seemed fine as the lid was aligned, not perfectly but fine enough.

Yet, to my surprise, there's one stuck pixel in the exact middle of the screen. I just can't believe it! Also, the right fan keeps spinning with a constant whirring even when turning cool & quiet and passive cooling mode on (everything, bios included, is updated). On the other machine it didn't happen. Not sure what to do, whether ask for a replacement once again or just ask my money back.

Slightly unrelated, the previous machine had a Samsung nvme ssd while this one has a Hynix one.

Guru
Views: 165
Message 5 of 7

Re: From bad to worse!

If it was me ask for another exchange.  The dead pixel wont fix itself.  If you already noticed it and you have other issues such as fan noise.

I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. I will not respond to unsolicited private messages. Questions belong in the forum so it may   help other forum members as well.
 Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 119
Message 6 of 7

That's what I did! They weren't happy but accepted the return and gave me another new one.
After a few days of use I'm not noticing any deal breaker, luckily. It has the same top lid misalignment of the other two (although less noticeable) which at this point I consider a production fault. Maybe it's just this particular batch. The screen panel assembly was also slightly lifted (1 mm) in the right lower corner near the hinge and, while at first it concerned me, a gentle push made it fit into place and is now flush. I just hope it isn't a symptom of some deeper assembly issue. Finally, the fans seem to work fine and don't produce any resonance, whine or strange noise.

A thing I noticed, this unit and the second one have a Hynix SSD while the first one had a much faster Samsung pm981 SSD, which, obviously, I would have preferred. I wonder if it was due to a replacement for faulty drive and thus they gave me a returned unit or LENOVO just use different SSDs depending on the time of production.

Anyway, thanks for the moral support. In this journey I may have found the (working) one, at last. I still have to test the type-c ports as I wait for the hub to arrive. Fingers crossed no new problems arise!

Guru
Views: 99
Message 7 of 7

Lenovo uses multiple suppliers for memory, keyboards, ssd etc.  I know for ssd they use for example (samsung, toshiba, intel, lenovo branded, union, hynix)  there may be other brands as well.

On X1 yoga i got samsung, on my Tp25 i got Toshiba.  My T490 also came with Toshiba.

I'm happy to hear they exchanged for you.  On all my machines when i first get it I check for dead pixels, misaligned lids etc... when I first get it.  I learned the hard way while IBM still owned Thinkpad.  On my A30p the usb port was misaligned when i got it.  Since I didnt report they claimed I damaged it.  It was clear I didnt drop it.  There was no damage not even cosmetic to the case but IBM claimed I broke the port.  This was when Thinkpads were running 4-5000 USD.  The metal part of the port was half way blocking the port.  It was an assembly error.  From that point foward I always checked everything before i keep it.  My W510 was damaged during shipping the bottom of the laptop was cracked.  The box was fine.  I asked for an exchange right away.  I have a feeling if I waited a month they would have blamed me and I would not have been able to argue since it quite possible could have been my fault.

Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors