Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beaumont20009
Paper Tape
Views: 1,513
Message 1 of 3

Yoga 730 won't charge when awake & using 90W, non-Lenovo charger

After being assured (by an otherwise seemingly well-informed Best Buy sales clerk) that it was compatible with my Yoga 730, I bought an Insignia NS-PWLC908 90W adapter for travel use.

Turns out, it will only charge the Yoga if the computer is asleep, hibernating, or off. When I plug it in to the machine when it is awake, the Yoga does not charge and the power light does not illuminate.

Bottom line, I can't work on the machine and charge it at the same time...which, as you might imagine, is....problematic.

I believe the first time I plugged the Insignia in to the Yoga, there was a message about it being a higher wattage than the Yoga charged at...or that it wasn't delivering enough power?...and that the Yoga would not use it to charge. (I don't recall the exact wording, and just swapped out with the charger that came with the Yoga.) But that doesn't seem to explain why it will charge from the Insignia, just not when the Yoga is awake.

FWIW the label on the Insignia lists its outputs as "5V @ 3A or 9V @ 3A or 15V @ 3A or 20V @ 4.5A".

Thanks for any answers anyone can provide!

Guru
Views: 1,494
Message 2 of 3

Re: Yoga 730 won't charge when awake & using 90W, non-Lenovo charger

Take a look at what a moderator(richk) said.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-S-Series-ThinkPad-Yoga/3rd-Party-USB-C-Charger-for-Yoga-370/m-...

also the spec sheet for the 65 watt lenovo adapter

https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/options_iso/65w_std_acadapter_usbc_4x20m26268.pdf

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an”Accepted Solution“!
 If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a "Kudo"!

I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. I will not respond to unsolicited private messages. Questions belong in the forum so it may   help other forum members as well.
 T490, TP 25 Retro, X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, W510 850 EVO, A30p
 Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

Beaumont20009
Paper Tape
Views: 1,439
Message 3 of 3

Re: Yoga 730 won't charge when awake & using 90W, non-Lenovo charger

Thanks -- that information was helpful! FWIW I think I will just return it rather than be subject to unanticipated issues down the line.

For the sake of anyone else who experiences this issue: it now turns out that the "symptoms" are actually even more complicated:

• I initially reproduced the problem at multiple outlets within the same facility, but later in the day, at another location, I could not, and the charger seemed to operate AOK.\
  • Then, yesterday evening, there was a weird behavior (at yet another location) where it would charge AOK when awake, but whenever I blocked the top of the screen, about 4 cm to the left of the camera, the charger would stop supplying charge (or at least the orange light would go off).

As far as the second behavior, I assume there is a photosensor there, maybe to help control brightness, and when it detects no light, it shuts off charging on the basis of it being likely that the screen is being closed shut as a prelude to the PC going to (or being put into) sleep?

Anyway, thanks again! For my purposes you have resolved the issue.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors