cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JeffreyC
Blue Screen Again
Views: 912
Message 1 of 3

Yoga 900-13ISK - The speed of processor 3 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. Why

Just bought this unit as an open box from Best Buy yesterday.

I notied this error in the event log:

The speed of processor 3 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report.

I thought it might be because I was running on Battery, so, when I got home, I plugged in and rebooted.  I got the same error message.

I called support.  They ran their hardware test in the Solution Center, and that reports everything is fine.  So, they would not help with this beyond that.  (First experience with Lenovo support not the greatest).

Can anyone tell me if this is a problem and can be solved?

Here is the full event dump:

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Processor-Power
Date: 7/14/2016 12:22:10 PM
Event ID: 37
Task Category: (7)
Level: Warning
Keywords:
User: SYSTEM
Computer: DESKTOP-706LTTN
Description:
The speed of processor 3 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Processor-Power" Guid="{0F67E49F-FE51-4E9F-B490-6F2948CC6027}" />
<EventID>37</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>3</Level>
<Task>7</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-07-14T16:22:10.939859000Z" />
<EventRecordID>1730</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="4428" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>DESKTOP-706LTTN</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="Group">0</Data>
<Data Name="Number">3</Data>
<Data Name="CapDurationInSeconds">71</Data>
<Data Name="PpcChanges">0</Data>
<Data Name="TpcChanges">0</Data>
<Data Name="PccChanges">1</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 879
Message 2 of 3

Re: Yoga 900-13ISK - The speed of processor 3 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. Why

Hi,

I can't speak to your specific laptop, but this is usually  just Intel SpeedStep doing its thing.  I'd expect to see similar warnings for the other processor cores as well.

You could try a different power/performance profile or disabling SpeedStep in BIOS as a diagnostic effort.

If nothing else is amiss, I'd be inclined to ignore it.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

Guru
Views: 877
Message 3 of 3

Re: Yoga 900-13ISK - The speed of processor 3 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. Why

I believe that this is the system working as designed to stay within its thermal envelope, but we'll wait to see what others have to say.

X1 Carbon 3rd Gen Type 20BT i7-5500U, 2560x1440 (non-touch), Win 10 Pro, 8GB RAM, 512 SSD, Intel 7625 WiFi, BT 4.0 | ThinkVision P24q-10 monitor

------------------------------------------
When asking for help, post your question in the forum. Remember to include your system type, model number, and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help others with the same question in the future.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors