Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pvt_awol
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,451
Message 1 of 6

Yoga 900 13ISK2 - TPM Cannot be found by Windows 10 Pro

Please, someone MUST have ran into this issue like I have!

I have a brand new Yoga 900 (13ISK2) with an Intel PTT TPM 2.0 (this meets the requirements for Bitlocker).

Now, the "chip" is recognized in BIOS, and is also recognized properly in Windows in the Device Manager. (It shows with the proper driver and everything.) The problem arises when I try to use Bitlocker, or the TPM.msc. 

Windows reports that a "Compatible TPM cannot be found", thus Bitlocker will not function the way that I want it to. I've re-installed Windows a few times, and I always get the same error. I've tried alternate drivers, and again, no luck. 

I've contacted Lenovo Support, and they tell me that I need to pay for "Software Support" since it isn't a hardware issue. Google is no help. So does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you in advance!

pvt_awol
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,449
Message 2 of 6

Re: Yoga 900 13ISK2 - TPM Cannot be found by Windows 10 Pro

Bob-the-IT-guy
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,335
Message 3 of 6

I've been working for hours on this.  My environment looks a little different than yours.  My Windows 10 (joined to a domain) does SEE the TPM but also knows that is NOT full-functionality.  When I try to enable BitLocker, I get an error saying that encryption is incompatible with the startup options of the Laptop.  What this error really means is that I want to use a startup PIN for BitLocker, but the TPM will not support hat.  What I have concluded is that the TPM implementation on this laptop uses the Intel software TPM which does NOT have all of the same capabilities as a separate TPM Chip would have.  For instance, it does NOT support the use of a startup PIN which provides the most secure use of BitLocker.  If you need this functionality, get the Lenovo ThinkPad P40 Yoga -- note the "ThinkPad" in the name -- that's important -- the ThinkPad line is the BUSINESS line of laptops and they have REAL TPM Chips!!  Another user has a ThinkPad P40 Yoga -- we found that we had to startup into the BIOS and change the configuration from the Intel software implementation to use the actual TPM Chip.  That option is NOT AVAILABLE on the Yoga 910.

Bob-the-IT-guy
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,332
Message 4 of 6

have you booted into the BIOS to make sure that the TPM security is enabled. it was by default on my Yoga910.
pvt_awol
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,323
Message 5 of 6

Bob, thank you for the reply. Yes, I'm sure that it is turned on in BIOS.

One of the "gotchas" that I've struggled with is the difference between laptops for business and laptops for personal home use. The TPM chip and the warranty are always better on the business side. But darn if the end-users don't want to use those devices. They prefer the "pretty" and "light" personal devices.

Bob-the-IT-guy
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,320
Message 6 of 6

And, it's really hard to get the info that you need before you buy. The pre-sales people are often clueless. My company has gotten burned several times by incorrectly purchasing Lenovo IdeaPads instead of ThinkPads and it holds true with Dell (Inspiron vs. Latitude) and HP Laptops also - they each have both consumer and business laptops with different features.

The ThinkPad P40 Yoga looks almost exactly like the Yoga 910 -- just as light, but with the Business TPM.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors