Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ramk13
Punch Card
Views: 1,676
Message 1 of 6

Yoga 900 AC Adapter with long cord

Most of the AC adapters available for the Yoga 900 have a terribly short 6 foot cord. I found this 40 W adapter on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Laptop-AC-Adapter-Lenovo-Yoga-IdeaPad-Miix-GX20H34904-Charger-Power-Cord/dp/B...

Has anyone tried out this adapter with their Yoga 900? I heard others post that 40 W adapters will overheat with the Yoga 900, though this adapter says it has overheat protection.

Another option would be a tip adapter that could convert other 65 W, 20 V Lenovo adapters to the new USB+notch power plug.

Does anyone else have a solution, other than using an extension cord with the 6 ft adapter?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,660
Message 2 of 6

Re: Yoga 900 AC Adapter with long cord

At the bottom of the ad, it says this in bold type.  "! PLEASE NOTE ! This 20V 2A 40W AC adapter will not charge laptops that require 20V 3.25A 65W adapter !"

I picked up a yoga 900 without an adapter and I tried a Lenovo 40W adapter while I waited for a 65w adapter from China.  The adapter seemed warm and I got some screen flicker, so I quit using it.  I did use the 40W with the laptop off to charge the battery.  Note:  This is what I did and is not a recommendation from Lenovo.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
SeniorGuru
Views: 1,628
Message 3 of 6

@ramk13 wrote:

Does anyone else have a solution, other than using an extension cord with the 6 ft adapter?

Why do you object to an extension cord?

It seems to me an extension cord is the ideal solution because...

1. You continue to use the AC charger that's designed for your system rather than gamble on some third-party charger.

2. You get an extra 3' or 6' extension.

3. You can plug in other devices. (This is particularly useful at airports when all AC ports are in use because you can double or tripple the number of available AC ports. Same when travelling overseas where a single power adapter will serve everything on the extension.

4. An extension cord is light.

5. An extension cord is cheap.

Punch Card
Views: 1,620
Message 4 of 6

@hausman wrote:

Why do you object to an extension cord?

An extension cord is a possible solution, and your other points are good ones. My main issue with is that many extension cords will not grip the adapter very tightly. That and the heavy weight of the adapter makes it really easy for the cord to come disconnected as you move it around. When it's halfway connected you have an unshielded live 120 V blade which can potentially touch things. Granted the shock risk is low, but it wouldn't pass for any consumer connection.

I could shop around for the right 'tight' cord but I'd rather have a single cord which eliminates the risk. I'm planning on getting a second charger, so the question is whether I go with a second Lenovo charger or get something else. I've had no problems with aftermarket chargers for other laptops in the past, so that's why I was looking there. This aftermarket solution looks cleaner and smaller...if they have a model which supports 65 W charging.

Highlighted
Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 1,578
Message 5 of 6

Good day.

I also use an extension cord with both my Yoga 900 and 900S. Six feet long. Got it from Lowes for maybe $5-6. It grips the adapter blades firmly, and has two additional outlets on the opposite side. Have made some new friends in airports and coffee shops with those extra outlets, too. Smiley Happy

Regards.

ext-yoga900.jpg

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,560
Message 6 of 6

@sarbin wrote:

Good day.

I also use an extension cord with both my Yoga 900 and 900S. Six feet long.

Heh, that looks exactly like the same extension cord that I use. That photo reminded me of yet another benefit to using an extension cord.

6. I have an extension between the top of my desk at home and the AC outlet near the floor board. I plug the Y900s charger into the extension so that I don't have to crawl under the desk to unplug the charger when I need to take it on a trip. Also because the charger sits on my desk behind the Y900s I'm less likely to forget to take the charger on a trip. (Yes I should probably install a proper power strip. This was originally supposed to be a temporary measure Smiley Wink)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors