Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MR0808
Paper Tape
Views: 9,349
Message 1 of 25

Yoga 900 Clean Install

Hi,

I need to install Windows 10 Enterprise on my new Yoga 900 for work. As I'm a contractor, I need to do this myself.

Can anyone give me some advise on the best way to do this. By this I mean what is the bare minimum software I require from Lenovo and what other drivers should I get to make sure that there is no bloatware?

Cheers

Mark

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 9,319
Message 2 of 25

Re: Yoga 900 Clean Install

I suggest that you go here to see the drivers and other software that Lenovo makes available for the Yoga 900:

http://support.lenovo.com/au/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/yoga-series/yoga-900-13isk?linkTrack=H...

The Bloatware is in the "Software and Utilities" category. You can probably spot what you don't want to download...

----------------------------

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ...

Sir_Robin
Paper Tape
Views: 8,765
Message 3 of 25

Hi everyone, I am facing the issue during a Win10 clean installation that the SDD won't show up! I had 2 other computers whereas I installed Win10 (also with SSDs) and they drive always showed up. I need the clean installation to be able to make partition and also because I have Win 10 Pro retail in a different language.
ramk13
Punch Card
Views: 8,725
Message 4 of 25

You need to load the Intel Rapid Storage Driver during Win 10 Setup. Press F6 to bring up the load driver dialog and point it to the driver folder. It takes it a little while (maybe 30 seconds) before it sorts itself out.

I got the latest driver from the Lenovo support site, but then I had to extract the files from the Lenovo exe. After that you have to extract the actual drivers from the Intel exe and put those on a flash drive so that you can get to them during installation. I'm going to write a blog post with the instructions at some point, but hopefully this will be enough to get you there.
saltim
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,717
Message 5 of 25

F6 does nothing for me. the only way i can get the system going is with a boot usb with windows, so it goes through the startup procedure and when it gets to 'where to load windows' , its blank....no hard drive can be seen.

the intel storage controller software keeps saying 'no signed device drivers were found' for 'any' of the folders i choose. 

ramk13
Punch Card
Views: 8,708
Message 6 of 25

I can't remember the exact steps since I'm away from my laptop, but I'll check on what I did and see what files I put on my Win 10 USB when I get home in a few hours.

ramk13
Punch Card
Views: 8,694
Message 7 of 25

Went home and saw what I did. Here are the files you have to extract. It's easiest to use 7-zip or a similar program instead of trying to extract at command line:

(original lenovo.exe) > SetupRST.exe > RST_x64.msi > driver.cab > (driver files including several iaStor files)

I made a blog post covering the whole process here:

http://www.ramk.net/2016/07/yoga-900-windows-10-clean-install.html

Hope that works!

saltim
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,681
Message 8 of 25

hi Ram, so here's where i am.

i boot up in windows 10, 64 bit, from a usb stick.

it gets to the screen with a box which asks me where to install windows as it can't see any drives. it gives me the option to 'load drivers' for a hard drive.

where does F6 come into it? does F6 just take me to this screen anyway?

next, i think you're onto something with the 4 stages of opening the storage driver;

you say it goes

(original lenovo.exe) > SetupRST.exe > RST_x64.msi > driver.cab > (driver files including several iaStor files)

i open lenovo.exe, that gives me 3 files - mup, setupRST & WixLicense.

i click on setupRST and it wants to load in program files.

i divert it from loading there and direct it the same folder that the last 3 files are in - just so i can see it all.

it installs the package on  my pc and asks for a reboot

you're saying i should then see RST_x64.msi.

it lists a load of language folders and a load of individual files, but none are RST_x64.msi.

any ideas plaese?

ramk13
Punch Card
Views: 8,667
Message 9 of 25

Yes, F6 just brings up the driver loading/search dialog which it sounds like you've already found.

You don't install or run the exe normally. Use the command line to extract the files from setuprst.exe:

• SetupRST.exe -extract C:\[Folder Name]

Or you can use a program like 7-zip or WinRAR to extract. I think that's easier because you can use the same program to do all 4 extractions.

To make things easier for you I zipped up my driver folder and saved it here:

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=48154607175717284357

If this download doesn't work, let me know and I can upload it somewhere else. Hope you can get it working soon. Took me a while to figure out.

saltim
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,654
Message 10 of 25

You are a star. i downloaded from your upload and finally, windows has started loading. you're right about the screen resolution making it really hard to see. i have a couple of versions of Win10, so the other one i had allows mouse pad use and a resolution i can see.

Heck, this has been a journey. Thanks so much.   

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors