Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pocketaces3000
What's DOS?
Views: 3,078
Message 1 of 11

Yoga 900 - Double letters when typing

On my two new Lenovo Yoga 900 machines, there is an issue with typing where letters occasionally appear doubled. It's a real pain and the only thing I don't like about the machine. It's not the way I type, my wife has the exact same model Yoga and has the same problem. It occurs about once a paragraph, so it's not constant, and I can't find any way to duplicate it. It just seems random. 

This is not a new issue with Lenovo I found out, but the solution I have seen at mmultiple places online is to set the Enable Repeat Key settings. This means there is a slight pause between accepting a second letter, and even though I type very fast, it still works well EXCEPT this also means there will be a pause when I do things like using the arrow keys to scroll.  For example, if I want to highlight this sentence to delete it, I will usually hold the shift key, and the hold down the left arrow and let it scroll back to the first word. This takes a lot longer with the Enable Repeat Key setting. Also,, sometimes I scroll up using the up arrow and that also is affected when I add a pause to Enable Repeat Key. This just shouldn't be. In all my previous systems I have never had this, and it's particularly disappointing given how much I like this machine, and that fact that I have seen online that this has occurred on previous Lenovo models as well. 

Maybe a .1 second pause would work, but the minimum setting I can choose in Settings is .3 which is too slow. 

I hope this can be worked out.. 

Moderator comment: Model added to subject for clarity.

gcsimpson
Punch Card
Views: 2,965
Message 2 of 11

Re: Yoga 900 - Double letters when typing

My lenovo Yoga 2 hadd this saame repeating key problem and i had to buy a bluetooth keyboardd just to be able to work with it every day at the office.  Other than the key repeat, [and the flashing screen with required that i turn it upside down to get it to stop flashing], I absolutely loved the laptop.  It's light and fast and just has a good "feel" about it.

The Yoga 2 was stolen out of my car last week, so i went to Best Buy, and, figuring that Lenovo would have solved the problem between the yoga 2 and tthe yoga 900, i bought it in the box without even trying it out.  That's how much i love this laptop.

To my absolute amazement, i see that Lenovo has done absolutely nothing to solve the problem. I'd love to keep sending it back to them over and over until they are forced to fix it, but this is not a casually used laptop.  i can't afford to clear alll of my info off of it and do without it for two weeks or so at a time.

The key repeat helped somewhat, but, as can be seen from the foregoing, The problem is not fully solved. 

I don''t want any other laptop, but if the problem becomes unbearable over the next twoo weeks that i have to return it, i may be forced to return this 900 and settle for something I won't like near as much.

I really cannnot comprehend how Lenovvo can come so close to perfection with this laptop and then let it fail for not fixing what appears to be a simple problem. [Best Buy was havving a "clearance" on it]

Come on, Lenovo, with a couple of fixes, this thing could become your bread and butter.

Stephen_TX
Paper Tape
Views: 2,922
Message 3 of 11

Same problem here. Not an issue with a Bluetooth keyboard, but the installed one generates double letters. I had hoped there would be a sensitivity setting to fix it, but no such luck.
Stephen_TX
Paper Tape
Views: 2,899
Message 4 of 11

How do you set the Enable Repeat Key settings?
JeffreyC
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,716
Message 5 of 11

Same here.

I use my Yoga 900 with a USB keyboardd at my desk probably 60% at the time with no issue.  But, when I go "mobile," I immediately start seeing this (see the word "Keyboard" in the previous sentence).  Annoying enough that I decided to hop on here to see if there is a solution..

(See the double periods above!)

Is there a solution?  Please?

gcsimpson
Punch Card
Views: 2,709
Message 6 of 11

If there is a solution, I've not been able to find it through research or experimenting with settings.  The Yoga 2 Pro did the same thing, and these people knew about it and yet failed to do anything about it  in the newer models.  And on top of that, you can't even get them to talk to you.  I cannot imagine such from either Apple or Dell, but the problem is that neither one of them makes such an otherwise excellent and flexible use lightweight laptop, although Dell has introduced a low level competitor.

Of course I haven't even mentioned this rediculous "advanced"  display which, under recommended settings, I cannot even read.  LIke you, I spend 90% of my time at the office plugged into a bluetooth keyboard and a large display.  Just have to bite the bullet the other 10% of the time.

Shame on you, Lenovo.

Stephen_TX
Paper Tape
Views: 2,697
Message 7 of 11

I agree with you - the Yoga 900 is an excellent a great lightweight laptop and "desktop" when connected to an external keyboard and monitor.  But why Lenovo can't implement a "sensitivity" setting for the Yoga's keyboard, when older generation laptops had that as a standard feature, is disappointing. The Enable Repeat Keys setting does provide some relief, but then causes other issues, like disabling repeat backspacing by holding down the key.  AndI agree on your comment about the display, although some recent Intel ( I assume) update fixed some of those issues.

anton79ru
Paper Tape
Views: 2,441
Message 8 of 11

Have the same issue on Yoga 710. I believe the system misinterprets such events as instantaneous double hits.

The solution may lie in the accessibility settings. What might work is right-click the Start button, go to classic Control Panel, hit Accessibility, go to Keyboard or "Make it easier to type", turn on "Filter keys", enter "Setup filter keys", tick "Turn on Bounce keys", but the problem is 0.5 sec. is way too long. Activate it anyway and close the control panel.

Next we launch Regedit and go to  HKEY_CURRENT_USER - Control Panel - Accessibility - Keyboard Response. The three values you want to set manually are:

AutoRepeatDelay = 300
AutoRepeatRate = 50

/*These two are set to 0 when you activate Bounce keys, so we just need to turn them back on and adjust to our needs*/
BounceTime = 30

/*This one is what does the trick: the system will ignore double hits that happen within 30 milliseconds - that sould be safe for your intended double presses of a button, unless you're a virtuoso piano player*/

Reboot.

L-W
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,387
Message 9 of 11

Hi there

I have the Yoga 910 and am suffering this same double key issue. Many thanks for your solution. One issue I now have, having implemented these changes, is that I cannot hold down a key (e.g. backspace) and have it iterate the function. Are you able to suggest any changes that may allow me to do this?

Many thanks

Luke

rpitton
What's DOS?
Views: 1,120
Message 10 of 11

did the registry changes and it seems to work. Thank you

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors