Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
caliban5
Paper Tape
Views: 5,234
Message 1 of 40

Yoga 900 Excessive Fan spin

Anybody else notice excessive fan spin even during non-intensive workload on the Yoga?  I can be sittting there reading an email in outlook and my Yoga's fan will start spinning like crazy and will continue to spin for well over 10 minutes.

Now i would understand if i was running a grafx intensive program or crunching some numbers in excell or anything that's resource intensive, but I've seen this thing just start spinning when just idle (i was on my other system doing some work).

Is there a way to tone this down, do I need to load a driver of some sort, is this normal?  If it's normal it seems over excessive for a notebook.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 5,229
Message 2 of 40

Re: Yoga 900 Excessive Fan spin

You can expect higher fan activity during the first few days of a new Yoga 900. During that time, Windows will be downloading updates, and indexing the SSD data. Things should then quieten down.

If things are not quietening down on your system, it may be worth using Task Manager to see what applications or processes are triggering the fan activity.

----------------------------

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ...

jpineau
Punch Card
Views: 5,037
Message 3 of 40

This issue just started on my Yoga 900. The problem is, the fan never stops. It cycles constantly and kill the performance of my running applications.

How can I fix this - is is NOT normal.

UPDATE:

I think I may have figured it out. I keep my documents in Dropbox and a lot of times I just open them to edit (Word, Powerpoint, etc).

Also, yesterday and today I was working on a team project in Goggle Docs - same thing.

I copied the documents to my desktop because I will need to work on them while off the internet.

Guess what, the fan stopped running when I worked off my desktop.

Whatever caused it seems to have stopped. I'll let you know if it comes back.

Unruffled1
What's DOS?
Views: 4,788
Message 4 of 40

I bought a Lenovo 900 from best buy. The first one had a defective E letter key which came off! I got a replacement laptop but the fan is whirring at high speed ALL THE TIME on my right hand side in the back. 

I downloaded windows updates and unistalled dropbox and updated the bios file from lenovo website but nothing works. I am not running any applications except fro chrome and I still hear the loud whirring noise  which is getting on my nerves. 

Any ideas anyone?!

bob127
Paper Tape
Views: 4,541
Message 5 of 40

I'm having a similar issue. When the CPU pegs unexpectedly at 100% and the fan spins up I check TaskManager and almost always find one (or more!) "Windows Host Process (Rundll32)" processes hogging the CPU. Unfortunately you can't tell what a particular instance of Rundll32.exe is really doing without seeing the startup command line. I used the Process Explorer utility from Microsoft to find this information, and all the offending instances had this command line:

C:\Windows\system32\rundll32.exe C:\ProgramData\LenovoTransition\Server\x64\EnableAutoRotation.dll,RunCustomMonitor

This obviously looks like a Lenovo-specific service related to auto rotation behavior. I rarely use this laptop as a tablet, so I simply right-click on the offending processes in Task Manager and select "End Task" whenever my fan goes nuts and I find a handful of "Windows Host Process" instances hogging the CPU. Fixes the problem temporarily, but they sometimes reappear at random times, and almost always return if I sign out of Windows and back in again.

I notified Lenovo Support of this issue several months ago but they have not responded. 

popy
Punch Card
Views: 4,251
Message 6 of 40

Hey, i have the issue also on my yoga 900.

There are 4x child rundll32 processes created from ymc.exe (Yoga Mode Control) which goes crazy when two or more users logged in.

Every proccess uses 25% which results in 100% cpu load!

Is there any fix out there?

PS: i have also contacted Lenovo support regarding this issue. Lets see if they answer. Here are links in forum with similar issues:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/YOGA-700-Yoga-Mode-Control-high-CPU-usage-...

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/forums/editpage/board-id/ll06_en/message-id/44513

thx

racarlos
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 4,132
Message 7 of 40

There are new drivers for Yoga 700 Energy Management, Mode Control and Lenovo Utility. Also a BIOS update. Try installing those first. If this doesn't resolve the problem, the Onekey initial backup recovery did the trick for me. I just had to go through all the bloatware removal again and updating windows 10 and of course restoring my backed up files since OneKey Recovery does not give option to keep personal files, everything is deleted so BACKUP PERSONAL FILES!. CPU usage is normal now.

I made a manual OneKey Backup now to a USB in case it happens again so I don't need to go through the process of removing bloatware and updating windows 10 again. 

popy
Punch Card
Views: 4,126
Message 8 of 40

Do you mean 1.0.0.9 Yoga mode control?

That was the version i had installed and the issue popped up.

Just to be sure:

Can you please post direct links & version numbers to the mentioned drivers?

thx

racarlos
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 4,121
Message 9 of 40

Yes that is the latest i belive. To be honest, I think it was the onekey recovery did it for me opposed to the latest drivers. Previously, I think I upgraded to windows 10 Pro or did a fresh Windows 10 Pro install from USB that resulted in the issue. The Initial backup doesn't have this problem so I'll just stick to this. The problem only occured with me when multiple accounts stayed logged in. Is it the same with you?
popy
Punch Card
Views: 4,110
Message 10 of 40

thy for your answer.

I also did a clean install because of two ther issues with the default lenovo recovery image (intel bluetooth doesnt work & cant logon with second user). Because of this bad experience with the recovery image i have done a clean install of windows 10 and installed all the needed drivers!

Also for me the issue just pops up if 2 or more users stayed logged in!

So we "was" in the same boat!!

I had also contact with support, which until now just sent me an default "copy and paste" answer.

i dont think they will come up with a soultion when you dont use their recovery image Smiley Sad

The bad -> with their restored recovery image things got worse -> see above.

Now i am happy with my clean windows 10 install, besides the 100% cou issue of ymc.exe.

please help me

thx

pOpY

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors