cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
besley
Punch Card
Views: 1,924
Message 1 of 11

Yoga 900 External Battery Pack Solution?

I know there has been lots of discussion about the propriatary charging cable used for the Yoga 3 and Yoga 900, but has anyone yet come up with a way to hook up to an external battery pack (@ 20V) or car charger (@ 12V)?

Thanks

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,909
Message 2 of 11

Re: Yoga 900 External Battery Pack Solution?

I have seen travel adapters such as this one...is that what you are looking for? 

Lenovo 65W DC Travel Adapter (Slim Tip)

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/itemdetails/0B47481/460/FB655FA7A2834E04AED9731463CD174E

Lenovo 65W DC Travel Adapter 0B47481 (Slim Tip)

https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Travel-Adapter-0B47481-Slim/dp/B00DSP19LS

besley
Punch Card
Views: 1,899
Message 3 of 11

Thanks for the reply - and something like that would work, IF it had the correct tip for the Yoga 900 (which has the modified slanted USB tip with the six conductors).  My dream would be to find some type of cable adapter that would allow me to power the Yoga 900 from something like this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JQKUCHQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1OLYXO7VMBU55&col...

which can provide the 20V that the 900 needs.

island
Punch Card
Views: 1,726
Message 4 of 11

besley, did you already email Qi-Infinity and see if they have any tip that would work?

I sent an email to RAVPower to ask if they have a tip for the yoga 900 and will post when I hear anything back too. http://www.ravpower.com/ravpower-23000mah-portable-charger-external-battery-charger.html would work great for me if it had a compatible tip for the yoga 900.

Edit: I just noticed your post was from June. Did you find a good external battery for the yoga 900 now, and if so, which one did you find and how has it worked for you. Many thanks.

besley
Punch Card
Views: 1,702
Message 5 of 11

Sorry, but I've had no luck so far finding the elusive special cable that we all need.

island
Punch Card
Views: 1,696
Message 6 of 11

Thanks very much for the reply.

I like the fact that Dell has their own branded power companion external batteries available (so if something did go wrong, it's the same brand not a third party product used with the laptop, and presumably so it's all tested together before I buy.)

I got a quick email reply from RAVPower "Could you please inform us the input current and voltage of your device?"

I had asked "Will the RAVPower 23000mAh Power Bank work with the Lenovo Yoga 900-13ISK2 80UE Signature Edition?"
I assume that if they don't specifically know the Yoga 900 they probably don't have a connector for it. I'm not sure exactly how to reply to thier reponse asking for the current and voltage for the 900 -- is it only 20v or is 5.? v needed too?

island
Punch Card
Views: 1,694
Message 7 of 11

I looked at reviews for the ChargeTech which provides an AC plug, but one review said the sine wave was more square and so I wondered if the yoga power supply would mind the incoming DC->Ac power from it to then do it's AC->DC conversion to feed the Yoga 900? Is the Yoga's power supply tolerant of the incoming AC power if it's not pure sine wave?

Searching I also found a larger physical size and more expensive unit from Goal Zero called a Yeti that might be an option. A review said it has a more pure sine wave output but it's definitely a larger size unit. It might be an option for me though.

besley
Punch Card
Views: 1,667
Message 8 of 11

When I purchased the 900 I was deciding between it, a Surface Pro 4, and a Dell.  I really liked the Surface Pro features, but the inability to replace the internal battery was a deal breaker for me.  I knew at the time that there were portable after market battery charging solutions for the Surface Pro, and figured there would be for the Lenovo too.  But I didn't appreciate at the time what a weird (and apparently propriatary) charging cable set up the 900 has.  I like the ability to use the charging port as an extra USB port when not charging, but these limitations on charging solutions are not (IMNSHO) worth the trade off of having an extra USB port.  So far I love everything about the 900 except the stupid power cord.

Carrying around an inverter (like the ChargeTech) that gives maybe an hour's worth of charging is not a very attractive charging alternative, especially for long plane rides where weight and bulk matter.  Maybe OK for a car trip, but if you are in the car, better to just get a 12V powered inverter and use the car power.  Oh well, the search continues.

island
Punch Card
Views: 1,646
Message 9 of 11

I asked Chargetech how much AC power it would provide  and was told I'd get an answer within 48 hours or so. I'm hoping it would extend the runtime of a yoga 900 by a significant amount as an hour wouldn't be enough for me to go that way.

I'm not clear on what the yoga 900 power cord does. Since there aren't nibs available it sounds like it must do something more complicated and I'm not sure what that is or what the advantage is.

I love the yoga 900's form, style, and everything else about it, but wish there were an economical transportable dc power companion for it.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 1,641
Message 10 of 11

@island wrote:

I'm not clear on what the yoga 900 power cord does. Since there aren't nibs available it sounds like it must do something more complicated and I'm not sure what that is or what the advantage is.

Please see the picture in this post: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/What-s-with-the-Yoga-3-Pro-power-adapter-i...

The special USB cable has 2 extra contacts, outboard of the normal 4, that carry the 20V required to charge the internal battery and run the laptop. The power adapter is capable of also charging phones, tablets and the like, via standard USB contacts. None of the USB power banks I've seen have the extra 2 contacts that would be required to use the Yoga cable directly. That's why the only current solution is to use a power bank that can supply AC current and plugging the Yoga power adapter into it.

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors