Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jdbretz
Blue Screen Again
Views: 716
Message 1 of 8

Yoga 900 HD Audio (TrueHD and DTS-HD) over HDMI not working

Ever since I bought my Yoga 900, I have never managed to get the HD Audio passthrough over HDMI to work. I can get the compressed audio (Dolby Digital or core DTS) to bitstream out, but never the uncompressed versions (Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio). I have tried 2 different USB C to HDMI adapters (both claiming to support the HD Audio codecs), multiple HDMI cables, and several different driver configurations. I have 2160p/60hz working fine and tried an adapters that only supported 2160p/30hz just to rule out a bandwidth issue. I've lowered video resolution to 1080p/60hz as well to free up bandwidth all with no success. All my A/V components support HD Audio and it works fine on my wife's Dell with built in HDMI 1.4 and Skylake Processor. The Skylake Processor supports HD Audio as well, so by specs, the hardware supports it. I can't tell if its the USB C to HDMI adapter refusing the connection or a problem with my laptop. I use Kodi to play my files and have confirmed it is configured correctly to passthrough audio to my AV Receiver to decode.

Computer Specs:

Yoga 900

i7 6500u

512gb SSD

8gb ram

Windows 10 Creators Build (version 1703)

Just checking to see if there are any other audiophiles on this forum that have made this work successfully with a Yoga 900?

PauLita
Punch Card
Views: 657
Message 2 of 8

Re: Yoga 900 HD Audio (TrueHD and DTS-HD) over HDMI not working

jdbretz
Blue Screen Again
Views: 634
Message 3 of 8

Thank you for the reply and suggestion. I read the article you posted and tried some its suggestions without any luck. My receiver (Denon AVR-X6300h) and media player software (Kodi) are both configured correctly. If I remove the HDMI cable from my laptop, plug it into my wife's laptop, and play the same file from the same source using Kodi with the same settings, bitstreaming works as it's supposed to. The receiver will display DTS HD MA, TrueHD, etc. This issue was present with my previous receiver and my Yoga laptop as well. Bitstreaming only works on my laptop when using lossy codec such as Dolby Digital and DTS core tracks. Those streams passthrough just fine. It's only when I switch the steam to the lossless ones that the audio drops out completely. 

I wonder if the problem has something to do with the USB C port using Display Port Alternate mode. I am thinking about buying a few more USB C to HDMI adapters to see if anything has changed since first started trying to tackle this problem, but I'm not very hopeful at this point. 

Blooperclash
What's DOS?
Views: 212
Message 4 of 8

Did you find a solution to this problem yet? I have exactly the same problem with a c930 laptop and a pioneer vsx932 avr. 

jdbretz
Blue Screen Again
Views: 203
Message 5 of 8

No, I gave up trying and instead bought a nVidia Shield to play all my media. It does everything I wanted and supports HDR10 and Dolby Atmos.

Blooperclash
What's DOS?
Views: 189
Message 6 of 8

Thanks for the reply. I now managed to get it working. It was indeed the adapter. Everything works as intended with the Club 3D USB 3.1 Type-C to HDMI 2.0 UHD Adapter, together with the according HDMI 2.0 Cable. 

Just in case anyone else runs into this problem and finds this post. 

SauPom
What's DOS?
Views: 77
Message 7 of 8

@Blooperclash wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I now managed to get it working. It was indeed the adapter. Everything works as intended with the Club 3D USB 3.1 Type-C to HDMI 2.0 UHD Adapter, together with the according HDMI 2.0 Cable. 

I have Lenovo T480s and I just bought that same adapter, but still no sound.

SauPom
What's DOS?
Views: 59
Message 8 of 8

@SauPom wrote:

@Blooperclash wrote:

I have Lenovo T480s and I just bought that same adapter, but still no sound.

Actually there is sound from this adapter as like T480s´s HDMI port. But the problem is that with Lenovo´s own adapter I got no sound, but I get HDR picture. With this 3D USB I get TrueHD sound, but no HDR picture.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors