Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
floppity
What's DOS?
Views: 5,453
Message 1 of 10

Yoga 900 Hinge Loose Cylinders?

Is it normal for some of the hinges to be slightly loose on the yoga 900? I wasn't sure since not all of them are loose. Also, I have one of the caps on the edge loose as well which I can take off and put back on (without it falling off easily). Not sure if it's worth sending it in... still on warranty.

There is no cracking sounds etc. though and it is working properly.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 5,395
Message 2 of 10

Re: Yoga 900 Hinge Loose Cylinders?

It might be best to send it in to get the entire hinge replaced under warranty. See this thread about the same issue on a Yoga 3 Pro where Amy of Lenovo suggested this course of action:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/Yoga-3-Pro-Hinge-end-cap/m-p/2025331/highl...

----------------------------

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ...

pastafarian
Token Ring
Views: 5,381
Message 3 of 10

I did glue on the caps and my experience is in the thread. OTH, if you're experiencing a looseness in the hinge on top of the end cap issue? You probably should contact support.
floppity
What's DOS?
Views: 5,374
Message 4 of 10

The funny thing is that I have the same exact cap loose as the one shown in the picture. It seems like this isn't pure coincidence as someone else in the thread said so too. Looks like a design flaw to me.
pastafarian
Token Ring
Views: 5,369
Message 5 of 10

My experience is the charging port side will loosen first and most, but the other side can loosen too. All 4 on the charge side and one on the other side have loosened so far for me. I'm not an engineer, but it appears to me the pins the caps attach to are much too short. Though the caps seem to loosen with no apparent contact, I can see that their placement would put a fair amount of stress on them while in a bag hinge side down. Considering how many complaints there are and how easily this occurs? It's a design flaw, one that was carried over from one gen to the next.
aporeh
What's DOS?
Views: 5,282
Message 6 of 10

I have the same exact problem. The computer is 3 months old. This is a serious issue. I expect Lenovo to fix the problem and plan to call them tommorow. This is expensive machine (Yoga 900) and if they can;t take care of it I plan to deal with them through Amazon and even more

pastafarian
Token Ring
Views: 5,264
Message 7 of 10

@aporeh wrote:

I have the same exact problem. The computer is 3 months old. This is a serious issue. I expect Lenovo to fix the problem and plan to call them tommorow. This is expensive machine (Yoga 900) and if they can;t take care of it I plan to deal with them through Amazon and even more

Though it's bad that the problem happens, there's no indication Lenovo's avoiding support for it.  The biggest issue I'm aware of is that Lenovo doesn't have the caps listed as a separate part and instead replaces the entire hinge. Good luck to you.

peterleunghk1
What's DOS?
Views: 5,118
Message 8 of 10

I am the same problem... and i am disapointed that when I send in for repair, I got turned back.....!!~~!!!

A complain letter as below was sent in . It is an anticlimate that Yoga 900 was strongly recommended to me but got refused to do repairing by the service center in Hong Kong...:

!!~~~

Dear TP services:

My series no.SPF0ECW0F of Yoga 900. The hinge end caps,  one missing, two loss are found.

On sending my Yoga 900, to the repair center in Kowloon side, I am astonished that I was turned  back by  saying that the hinge caps cannot be replaced except that  I have to pay HK$2,000 for replacing the monitor together with it as they are an integral unit.

Please take this as a compliant letter, and I am looking for a solution to my problem as a Lenovo customer.

I will send in this email to Lenovo web for their information for following up mu case..

Kindly advice to what you may support to my case

Bayerus
Paper Tape
Views: 5,043
Message 9 of 10

I have the same issue as of this morning with my 2 month old Yoga 900.  Interestingly, the same exact end-cap/cylinder fell off (power port side, second from top) that others hhave reported loosing first since this issue strated with the Yoga Pro 3 over a year ago.  Unfortunately, it sounds like Lenova has no solution other than taking your laptop for a few weeks, changing the entire hinge set (occasionally damaging other parts of the laptop as reported bys some in this/the Pro 3 string) and doing it again after a few months when those caps come off too ... until you get tired.

It sounds to me that the 'proven solution' is rather easy: one drop of superglue into the cylinder/end cap.  Press it onto the hinge rod.  Don't move it for 15-45 mins- done.  Best do it with all the cylinders popiing them out and gluing them as a preventive measure.  BUT LENOVO CUSTOMER SERVICE NEEDS TO GET SOME OF OF THOSE CYLINDERS FROM THEIR SUPPLIER.  That would save many people time, effort, money, follow-on damage, etc. on BOTH SIDES LENOVO AND CUSTOMERS.

AMY - CAN THIS BE DONE FOR THIS REPEATING/SYSTEMIC ISSUE? 

Many, many thanks, in advance.

IMG_0561[1].JPGIMG_0565[1].JPG

KashifJamil
Paper Tape
Views: 906
Message 10 of 10

Hello, Can any body get solution of loose hinges. I have lost few of them. Can any body assist how to get these caps and from where? Kashif

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors