Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

32 Posts

12-24-2015

Georgia

126 Signins

616 Page Views

• Views: 616
  • Message 11 of 34

Re: Yoga 900 - Missing D Partition

2016-02-03, 0:36 AM

I just receive a replacement laptop and it is missing the D partition too. My first one had it, but this one has a manufacturers date of January 20th. I have a full 475GB on the C drive, so I don't think the paritition is just hiding. The original had 432GB on C and 24.9GB on D. Weird, but I agree that I think they had a batch go through with an image that wasn't complete.

Also, not that I want or need these, but the new Yoga 900  is missing Photo Master, Accelerator, OneKey, McAfee, REACHit, SHAREit, Stagelight and the Windows Store Gift Card Promo. 

I just check to compare the hard drives in the original laptop and the new replacement one. The original had a Samsung SSD while the newer laptop has a LiteOn SSD. I think the image they have pushing out onto the LiteOn SSD drives are not complete. Bummer.

UPDATE: Just got off the phone with a Lenovo tech rep. He told me that according to the serial number, my laptop was supposed to have the Samsung SSD, not a LiteOn. I bet that has something to do with the partition issue. The LiteOn is a bit slower than the Samsung, according to the specs. 

Options

1043 Posts

07-14-2010

Canada

3946 Signins

17523 Page Views

• Views: 17523
  • Message 12 of 34

2016-02-03, 3:10 AM

I have come across a few systems before which used a compressed Windows architecture to save on storage space, where the OS was a base WIM image, and the system restore simply deleted everything except the WIM to act as a factory restore.

I have attached the disk layout for my Yoga 3 Pro for comparison. The drive should have a couple of Recovery Partitions, usually with the image partition sitting at the end of the disk.

If you can post a screenshot of your disk layout (run compmgmt.msc, or right-click Start Button, then Computer Management), maybe we can find out what's going on.

←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗
Tap that kudos button if I helped ^^
←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗←↑→↓↘↙↖↗
Options

16 Posts

01-22-2016

Utah

20 Signins

91 Page Views

• Views: 91
  • Message 13 of 34

2016-02-04, 14:45 PM

There is little question that partitions are missing from the drive. There should be a D partition that contains several apps and drivers. The launch icons are even missing for those apps as they don't exist. Will see what happens as the USB drive comes today.

I can't seem to do an attachment.

Answer
Options

16 Posts

01-22-2016

Utah

20 Signins

91 Page Views

• Message 14 of 34

2016-02-10, 5:22 AM

I finally got this fixed. First USB drive they sent was not bootable. What a pain. Last person I spoke to was very helpful (all but that one person were helpful and smart). Last person offered to make the USB drive himself and confirm it wuld boot. I worked perfectly. Now I have all of the correct partition and apps. I clicked the window icon and a ton of icons popped up. Before I only had 4 or 5. I checked the partitions and all are looked good:

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

3 Posts

03-17-2016

TX

4 Signins

41 Page Views

• Views: 41
  • Message 15 of 34

2016-03-17, 15:45 PM

I bought my yoga 900 few days ago from Best Buy and it's manufactured date is Jan-28-2016. It's a 512 GB system but when I look at the SSD, there is only one volume as C:\ drive with the capactity as 475 GB. When I look at the "disk management" screen, it shows only one volume as C:\ with capacity as 475.69 GB, and two more partitions without any volume assigned, one with the capacity as 260 MB (EFI System Partition) and another for 1000 MB (Recovery Partition).

There is no D:\.

After searching and finding this thread, I used the call back option to contact Lenovo but the technician said the remaining space is "recovery partition that is hidden" and cannot be seen or visible. 

I think this is incorrect and the rep did not seem to understand. I even pointed out that, I found this thread in the lenovo forum and told him that the solution could be sending the recovery USB but he did not understand that too and repeated that the hidden partition cannot be seen in any way.

I have the screen shot of the 'disk managment' screen but I dont see an option to upload a picture in this post, it could be because I am new to the forum.

Is this not an issue - do we only see 475 GB out of 512 GB? Can others with 512 GB machine confirm? Thanks.

Options

16 Posts

01-22-2016

Utah

20 Signins

91 Page Views

• Message 16 of 34

2016-03-17, 16:04 PM

Pretty much the same thing the second idiot told me that I spoke to. They just don't know enough to understand the actual issue. They are correct that there are "hidden" partitions on the SSD but after that, their mind just takes a bath. This hidden partitions can be seen in the Windows Administrator and they are _clearly_ incorrect.

I'm betting nothing happens when you press the Lenovo button, correct? This is because it attempts to load apps from a non-existent drive (D). After that it would reboot into one of the hidden partitions but that partition does not exist at all.

Call back and explain that your Lenovo button does not do anything and you can explain why. My recommendation is leave that door open for them to ask you. This way it's their idea and your not one of those people pushing your ideas on them. Depending on the person they may have you reboot while pressing certain buttons in order to boot into that non-existent recovery partition. Feel free to let them know you've read a post on their own forum of other people having an issue with the wrong drive image being installed on the Yoga 900s and the solution was to send out a thumbdrive with the correct image.

Be warned, installing the new image will wipe all the data from your laptop. In my case this was a pain as I could not do much with it until I corrected this issue. But it's a great machine and I like it very much!

Options

3 Posts

03-17-2016

TX

4 Signins

41 Page Views

• Views: 41
  • Message 17 of 34

2016-03-17, 16:17 PM

Thanks for your quick reply. Yes, you are right, when the laptop is turned on, pressing the Novo button does not do anything. But when the laptop is turned off, pressing the Novo button brings up the recovery menu with 4 different options I think.

I will try again by explaining the issue, if not resolved, I will exchange for another laptop. I will try to find a unit that has a recent manufactured date when compared to the one I have.

Thanks again.

Options

16 Posts

01-22-2016

Utah

20 Signins

91 Page Views

• Message 18 of 34

2016-03-17, 16:19 PM

Best Buy's return time is 15 days, increased to 30 days if you are a Rewards Member and purchase $1500 in a calender year.

There is a difference between the Onekey Recovery app and Windows Recovery. Windows recovery has an all blue background with 4 or 5 options.

Options

2595 Posts

04-17-2014

United States of America

3515 Signins

43655 Page Views

• Views: 43655
  • Message 19 of 34

2016-03-17, 19:17 PM
It's seeming like an issue directed towards Best Buy customers. I wonder if they're selling a wiped version, like Microsoft signature series

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Please do not PM me for individual requests... please post to the forums instead :)

Lenovo Forums have transitioned to a new platform. The team is working hard to bring new features and make the forums better than it was before!

The 'Search' function is currently down. In the interim, please get help through browser searches.

Please ensure the option 'Subscribe me automatically to all discussions I have participated in' is enabled under your forum settings. That way, you'll be notified if anyone replies to your thread!

Communities:    Moto English     English     Deutsche     Español     Portugues     Русскоязычное     Česká     Slovenská     Українська   

Options

16 Posts

01-22-2016

Utah

20 Signins

91 Page Views

• Message 20 of 34

2016-03-17, 19:22 PM
The Yoga 900 I bought from Best Buy was perfect. The one I bought direct from Lenovo had the issue. The problem seems to be the image Lenovo used.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms