Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
headydad
What's DOS?
Views: 1,363
Message 1 of 7

Yoga 900 Power Adapter Sparks & Super Hot

I think there is a short in the power adapter. It gets red hot and only charges when not fully (about halfway) inserted into the wall outlet or power strip. I can hear sparking inside of the power brick when i insert it and a spark flies to or from the outlet to the adapter as the prongs near the receptacle. Not sure but I think this might be a short where the prongs fold into the adapter for travel. I don't transport it much so there isn't a lot of folding in and out in which I could blame the issue on over use. Anybody else have issues with the power adapter shorting? I have not had this computer very long, well since about christmas, what are my chances of Lenovo swapping this out for a new one? I am waiting for a call back after contacting tech support. Thanks for any input....

grey_os
Token Ring
Views: 1,356
Message 2 of 7

Re: Yoga 900 Power Adapter Sparks & Super Hot

if you have informed Lenovo under 30 days about this issue then they will most probably give you refund/replacement otherwise they will send it for repair.
Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo! I dont know what Kudo does but anyway xD
There is nothing like 192.168.1.1
Cruzin90
Punch Card
Views: 1,334
Message 3 of 7

Mine does not spark, but it sure does get super hot!  I wonder if this is normal?

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,310
Message 4 of 7

I think there is a short in the power adapter. It gets red hot...  I can hear sparking inside of the power brick...

I would stop using the adapter immediately, even if you can't recharge the Y900 until the issue is resolved. This is a potential fire/electrocution/Y900-destruction issue that could have serious negative consequences to you.

>  I have not had this computer very long, well since about christmas, what are my chances of Lenovo swapping this out for a new one?

Presumably very good since the system should have a one year warranty. In any case, you should offer to return the defective charger so that Lenovo can examine it, in case this is a general defect. 

What's DOS?
Views: 1,206
Message 5 of 7

I have the exact same issue. I bought my Lenovo YOGA 900 13isk three months ago.

headydad
What's DOS?
Views: 1,199
Message 6 of 7

I called Lenovo and they sent a replacement. No problems whatsoever with the new one.

Kdahl
What's DOS?
Views: 702
Message 7 of 7

I have had the same exact issue with my charger after a little over 1yr of use. I contacted Lenovo and they were unwilling to provide a replacement charger. This is unacceptable. Having had other makes of laptops in the past, I have never even had to replace a charger at all. I cannot charge the device without the fear of electrocuting myself or damaging my computer. All Lenovo left me is the option to buy another charger out of pocket for the defective one I bought in the first place. A way to line their pockets, I guess. I am totally unsatisfied with Lenovo for my first customer service inquiry since owning one of their products, and will seriously consider switching to alternate brands that value customer service and do not fault customers for defective products. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors