Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ace01
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,626
Message 1 of 13

Yoga 900 Quality Control Questions

Hello! The Yoga 900 is my first Lenovo PC. I had recently owned the HP Spectre x360 i7 Skylake, QHD in Ash Siver. It is truly a beautiful machine, most of all in Ash Silver. I ended up returning it and going with the Yoga 900. My reasons where: The Spectre is heavier and a bit thicker than the Yoga, which makes for a not so nice tablet experience. The Spectre, also gets too warm and sometimes too hot, around the left palm rest area. These are all problems that I have not had with the Yoga 900 which has double the RAM, for $100.00 less than the Spectre model I had. 

Okay, so with the Yoga 900, I have now been through 3 of them. 2 of them, had lint underneath the final coat of paint on the lid. On both, I didn't notice until a day or two after my purchase, when I ran my hand over the lid and felt small bumps as if grains of sand were stuck to the lid. Upon a closer look with a bright LED light; I noticed actual lint/hairs under the silver painted lid.

Now with my third unit, the paint is lint-free but I have noticed something that I'm trying to figure out whether or not is normal. When the unit is closed, on the right side, I have noticed that the right side upper lid, sicks out further than the right side bottom section (bottom section as in where the power button is). Please let me know if your Yoga, is also uneven along the right side too. Thank you!

SMKOUT333
Paper Tape
Views: 1,545
Message 2 of 13

Re: Yoga 900 Quality Control Questions

I have also had a "rough" experience with my yoga 900. I am now on my 3rd. The first had a very loose mouse pad and a few pieces of painted lint/hairs on the lid as you describe. It also had a weak backlight on the volume down key compared to the rest of the keyboard which was unfortunate. My second was worse, the entire bottom of the laptop was rough, almost like a fine sandpaper. The lid was much smoother like it is supposed to be. The mouse pad was even worse on the 2nd one as well. The backlight of the keyboard thankfully was perfect. Im a night owl so this small thing is surprisingly important. My significant other convinced me to return it due to the rough underside and bad mousepad, considering how much I paid for the system in the first place. Soooo, now I am on my 3rd Yoga 900, The paint is perfect, the trackpad is much better but on this one the backlight (same volume down key) on the keyboard has the same issue as the 1st laptop. I almost feel like maybe I should wait till all of the manufacturing issues are resolved. Love the form factor and specs but quality control does seem to be lacking atm. 

Zachary 

ericksonpost
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,540
Message 3 of 13

Quality control is definitely lacking.

I'm on my second Yoga 900 as well.  Both of mine have had loose trackpads, problems with trackpad firmware, and the current one also has a dead pixel.

Come on Lenovo, this is suppose to be a premium product.

-Paul

Ace01
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,532
Message 4 of 13

Thank you both for the replies. Can either of you please let me know if the lid when closed, on the right side, is not flush/even? This is my only real issue with this 3rd unit. Again, the lid on my right side when closed, sticks out a bit further than the bottom right side. If this is normal then I'll keep it. I really don't want to go back to a Best Buy store to check this out so I am asking here.

Also as I mentioned before, I had an HP Spectre Skylake. What I didn't mention was that it was the 8th x360 I had been through over 2 month period. In other words, HP has a lot of issues going on (scratched paint and hinges, dead/sleeping pixels, loose touchpad, loose bottom panel).  

SMKOUT333
Paper Tape
Views: 1,527
Message 5 of 13

My first one had a flush side on both sides, this 3rd one also exhibits the issue you are talking about. However it is ever so slightly off. Just frustrating a $1,500 after tax, premium laptop has QC issues. Again I love the form factor and Lenovo nailed it!

Ace01
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,521
Message 6 of 13

Thank you for letting me know though I almost wish you had not said so  Smiley Sad Hahaha

Mine sticks out enough to feel it every time I reach to open the laptop from the sides. I will be taking this one back. The problem for me is that now I am going to have to wipe the drive clean (company IP data) and do the install thing all over again (a 3 to 4 hour pain). And then of course there is the possibility of getting another hairy lid.

I just don't know what to do. I've been searching for a nice ultrabook, for over 3 months now. I loved the Spectre x360, but the Yoga has too many advantages over it. I don't want a Dell XPS because the tablet mode and even the tent mode of the Yoga, have grown on me. Maybe I'll consider the new Samsung ATIV Book 9 series; Best Buy has them both available as of today.  

SMKOUT333
Paper Tape
Views: 1,516
Message 7 of 13

I was also looking at the spin, however my local best buy doesnt have one on display and the price is a bit more for less spec wise compared to the 900. However if it means I wont have to go back and forth to Best Buy and waste gas it very well might be worth doing so.

Ace01
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,508
Message 8 of 13

Yeah the Spin has half the RAM and half the SSD. Then the 15.6 ATIV weighs in at almost twice as much as the YOga 900 and still only half the RAM and SSD. I guess I'll try the Yoga one more time. 

Also another thing I recently noticed about the Yoga is that the screen/lid can actually bend very easily (relatively speaking; x360 did not do this). I opened the lid with two hands from both corners and was surprised that the lid actually moves/bends. 

SMKOUT333
Paper Tape
Views: 1,497
Message 9 of 13

I get severe ripples along the bottom of the screen when using the touch screen. Let me know how your next one turns out Smiley Happy Good luck! I might try one more time also..

Ace01
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,491
Message 10 of 13

Will do and btw' I don't recall the first 2 units but this 3rd one does have the volume down/F2 back light, a bit dimmer than all the rest. I only noticed after reading your post and then checking. So you're not alone with that. Reviews have stated that the entire back lighting, is low on the Yoga 900. Compared to the Spectre, I would say yes it is not as bright and the Yoga keys are solid unlike the Spectre keys which are translucent half way down the sides (looks really cool). The Yoga being made out of plastics and rubber, does not bother me much because after all, this is a device I plan to never drop like a phone. I just hope my 4th unit won't have the hairy lid or uneven side and then I'll call it a day and move on enjoying it rather than being frustrated by it. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors