Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mkitten
Punch Card
Views: 5,972
Message 1 of 11

Yoga 900 SD Card slot

I am waiting for my new Yoga 900. I read the so-called "full" SD Card slot is not 32mm deep as a standard SD Card. Can you confirm it is shorter? Is it 16mm deep like in the Yoga 2? Is there an adaptor for 128GB micro-SD that has the perfect size and been tried?

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 5,969
Message 2 of 11

Re: Yoga 900 SD Card slot

A standard SD card goes in only to 16mm, not the full 32mm depth.

----------------------------

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ...

mkitten
Punch Card
Views: 5,945
Message 3 of 11

Thanks. I supose every owner will want to know what they can fit safely in it. Do you happen to know whether the Transcent Jetdrive Lite 330 fits like in the Yoga 2?

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 5,933
Message 4 of 11

@mkitten wrote:

Do you happen to know whether the Transcent Jetdrive Lite 330 fits like in the Yoga 2?

Sorry, don't have one of those to test...

----------------------------

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ...

Stealth01
Punch Card
Views: 5,918
Message 5 of 11

I was disappointed also with the SDcard... Too much sticking out to leave the card plugged in.  So I went this way: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YFI1EBC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

The devce sits nicely in the USB 3.0 port and is rugged enough to leave in place.  If I need the USB port, I simply unplug the Flashdrive and use the port.  Will probably grab a USB C to USB adapter after Christmas.

Ken

McAllan
Token Ring
Views: 5,727
Message 6 of 11

This one rocks!: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00QGKTPYA

Fits the Yoga 900 and Yoga 500 perfectly flush except hairs width for the edge with recess to grab it with a fingernail to be able to pull it out again. It's just a wiring adapter so of course it supports any size microSD card and UHS not limited to what description says - only what pins it wires.
(UHS-II requires more pins but UHS-II microSD card are very rare - I've not seen one for sale even though I don't filter them out on search sites. Besure not to confuse UHS-II and UHS-I Class 1, 2 or 3. UHS type and Class rating are too very different things not related to each other but many confuse them! Not that the 900 supports UHS-II but hey)

Many more adapters works too but are more expensive. It's the same size as for MacBook Pro retina 13". Although for MacBook they typically are made to look nice in a MacBook so a little trimming of adaptor edge may be required. The linked adaptor is a generic one fits all laptops which require that length to fit flush (but because it's generic look is not first priority).

mkitten
Punch Card
Views: 5,711
Message 7 of 11

I got one called RIIC that is similar and works perfectly fine with a 200GB micro-SD card and without any trimming. It protrudes just enough to be taken out easily with a fingernail. Yours is probably similar but is meant for the PI. I am just wondering as I read the PI allows for thicker SD cards (which I find surpprising)

McAllan
Token Ring
Views: 5,692
Message 8 of 11

More like it's advertized for the PI.Your description fits the Bosvision too - also removeable with a fingernail. It's same thickness as ordinary SD card - only much shorter.

I use the exact same adaptor with Yoga 900 and Yoga 500.

Of course it'll work with 200 GB card too. It's just a 1-1 passive wiring like ordinary microSD card adaptors. Just that 128 GB was the largest available when marketing made up the words. Common odity but probably to avoid them being overwhelmed by where 2 TB cards can be bought. Which I believe is the max size of the current SDXC standard. Next standard may or may not use same amount of connectors.

A more correct information of supported card would be "does not support UHS-II" (which should NOT be confused with UHS-I class 1, 2 and 3 - UHS type and class rating are two very diffent things many people mix up). USH-II requires more connectors - not that Yoga 900 nor the PI support UHS-II and UHS-II microSD cards are almost as rare as hens teeth but hey. (UHS-II is backward compatible though you just can't utilize the ultra high speed)

odellconnie
Paper Tape
Views: 3,871
Message 9 of 11

I would recommend you measure it.  I know that the card people said fits the Yoga 2 does *not quite* fit the Yoga 700 IMHO (I tried it, it worked intermittently only, suggesting poor contact, and also I measured the opening a standard SD card).  I am going to try this one instead, which is just a little bigger, in my Yoga 700:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WGARJGU/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I really *strongly* prefer standards (my old ASUS netbook could hold a full SD card flush), but I am not willing  to return the 700 for just this.   ;-)

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,162
Message 10 of 11
Moved:

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors