Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jepmn
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,543
Message 1 of 10

Yoga 900 - Sometimes the keyboard and touchscreen go crazy

I've had my Yoga 900 for just a little while (got it the day that showed up in stores). I love it, save for one thing. One time, it got into this mode where touches would randomly appear on the screen (the little dot you get when you do a touch). At the same time, random keys seemed like they were being pressed. And you'd press the keys on the keyboard but they'd give you a totally different keystroke than they were supposed to. This persisted through two whole reboots. But it wouldn't happen 100% of the time. It'd be fine for a few minutes, then start doing it again. I managed to get a BIOS update in and a reboot, and the problem seemed to go away.

But then in the last day or two, it has come back, albeit much much less horrifically. They'll be a stray touch on the screen with my hands nowhere near it (I'm almost always in laptop mode). Or something weird will happen like my browser will open a new tab that there's no good reason for. All of these might be phantom touches, but some could be phantom keys as well.

Anyone else run into this? It seems like it's probably the hardware, though I can't rule out software.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 1,467
Message 2 of 10

Re: Yoga 900 - Sometimes the keyboard and touchscreen go crazy

Good day and welcome to the community.

Sorry you're having difficulty.

I've not seen this reported previously for the Yoga 900, but a driver update for the Yoga 3 14 (I believe) fixed a similar issue. So, if you would, please confirm which video driver version you have, and compare it to what's listed in the driver listing: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/yoga-series/yoga-900-13isk

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee

jepmn
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,459
Message 3 of 10

I checked my driver version and it said 10.18.15.4248. I saw the driver there said 10.18.15.4248_Custom and so installed it. During installation, it claimed this would install older audio and video drivers than I already had. Went ahead anyway and afterwards it still reported the driver as 10.18.15.4248. So I'm assuming I was up-to-date all along.

BTW, I did open a ticket with Lenovo support over the phone. Wasn't much they could do at this point, as it's intermittent. Just figured I'd get the ticket started for quicker service when it recurs.

russr1123
Punch Card
Views: 1,372
Message 4 of 10

I have the exact same problem.  Seems to exhibit mainly when woken from sleep.  Doesn't happen if woken from hibernate.  Seems to be random touches on the screen even though I'm not touching it.  Has happened to me twice in the span of a couple of days.  I've updated the display driver, but not sure what else to do.  I doubt it Is related to the display driver, seems that it is most likely the touch screen digitizer.

jepmn
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,368
Message 5 of 10

FWIW, I've had only one occurrence in the last month, and it went away really quickly. It was really just two or three stray phantom touches rather than an entire system revolt. I wonder if any of the Windows automatic updates improved it.

russr1123
Punch Card
Views: 1,363
Message 6 of 10

So far, I've only noticed it when waking from sleep.  Be default, the computer will go into hibernate after sleeping for 3 hours.  You can disable that so that whenever you use your Lenovo, it is waking from sleep.  It might occur more in this case.

jepmn
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,328
Message 7 of 10

That very well could be it. I turned that off while it's plugged in, and it's usually plugged in when it's in a position to be left to sleep for 3 hours.

russr1123
Punch Card
Views: 1,318
Message 8 of 10

I have more info on this for you.  I can get this to happen almost on command now.  Just put your computer to sleep and after the light starts blinking, wake it up and stare at the lock screen.  You'll notice several touches and other eratic behavior.  I've googled this issue and it seems that on the Yoga 900 it is a defective panel.  I would highly recommend you get yours replaced.  I've just put in for a replacment myself.

danton1316
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,140
Message 9 of 10

Has there been an official solution to this problem or should I just return my laptop? 

kevc1185
Paper Tape
Views: 997
Message 10 of 10

I'm using the 900 and I'm having the exact same problems with the ghost touches which essentially render the laptop unusable.

I'd also like to know if there is an official solution/response from Lenovo about this? It seems that given all of the very similar issues that occurred on the Yoga 3 and 700, that it is an unlikely coincidence that this is just a hardware issue on the 900. It seems that just in this thread there are at least 4 people who have experienced the issue. I do not have the LG screen, so the update Lenovo previously issued does not apply to my PC.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors