Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

12-24-2017

Singapore

6 Signins

28 Page Views

• Views: 28
  • Message 1 of 5

Yoga 900 Touchscreen Stops Working If Rotate Past About 100 Degrees.

2017-12-24, 0:14 AM

Hi

Have been loving my Yoga 900 but the touchscreen has started acting up.  While it seems there are lots of issues with Yoga touchscreens I didn't find one quite like myne.

I realised it works okay in laptop mode but as soon as the screen gets to about 100 to 120 degrees rotation - so before reaching the switch point to tablet mode - the touchscreen becomes unresponsive.  If rotate it back so it's 90 degrees or so then it starts working again.  

If I boot with screen rotated then device manager has an exclamation mark for an I2C HID device, status says 

"This device cannot start. (Code 10) A request for the HID descriptor failed."  If boot with screen around 90 degrees then I see the touchscreen device running normally.

Any ideas?

I'm thinking maybe the ribbon cable could be the problem?

How doable is opening up the display panel?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Options

2954 Posts

02-22-2017

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

1083 Signins

26243 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 26243
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: Yoga 900 Touchscreen Stops Working If Rotate Past About 100 Degrees.

2018-01-11, 12:57 PM

Hello Bichael

Thanks for using the Lenovo forums.

I think you will be right on the money with this one.

Definitely sounds like a connection issue/cable getting pinched somewhere, as it turns back on when you rotate it back before the point of no return.

I would recommend that you get in touch with your Lenovo support line for a repair before any further damage starts to develop for you.

Below is the link to the phone list where you can find these numbers

You can of course always try a factory reset, this will rule out any software issue with the unit, but from the description I think this will be a hardware issue.

(This will delete data on the device, so make sure you back up before performing it.)

Hope this helps, let us know how you get on.

==================================================================================
Did someone help you today? Thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Pesszimistának lenni a legjobb, vagy igazad van, vagy kellemesen meglepődsz...
Options

4 Posts

12-24-2017

Singapore

6 Signins

28 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2018-01-13, 3:32 AM

Hi

Thanks a lot for the reply, appreciated.

I did get in touch with the local Lenovo service centre but they quoted me a pretty crazy S$1570 for a full display replacement (a brand new Yoga920 from the Singapore lenovo store is only S$2200).

As you say the display cable seems like a good bet so I ordered one off Taobao for about $20.  A bit nervous about taking the display apart but hopefully if I go super slow should be okay.  Worst case if it doesn't help or I break it I can get a dsiplay from Taobao for around S$300 tops.

Can hopefully post back some good news shortly!

Options

2954 Posts

02-22-2017

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

1083 Signins

26243 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 26243
  • Message 4 of 5

2018-01-15, 9:16 AM

Yes unfortunately they would have to replace the entire thing and not just a specific part by default procedure.

Make sure you have the Hardware manual at hand, that should help you with dissassembling the unit, you can also find this on the support site: http://support.lenovo.com/de/en

Also, some video tutorials here which may be able to help: https://www.lenovoservicetraining.com/showcase?sid=1095&key=TGVuZw==

Good luck!

Let us know how you get on.

==================================================================================
Did someone help you today? Thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Pesszimistának lenni a legjobb, vagy igazad van, vagy kellemesen meglepődsz...
Options

4 Posts

12-24-2017

Singapore

6 Signins

28 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2018-01-20, 1:38 AM

Well on the plus side I confirmed the cable was the problem. But I did crack the screen while changing it. Annoying as I'm pretty sure I could do it if tried again now - but I think it's definitely something that a service centre would and should be able to do.

So time to order a new panel. Unfortunately in my annoyance with the screen I also broke the webcam when replugging it, not being careful thinking I needed a new panel anyway. So will need to try and find one of those as well as don't think they come together.

in the mean time I now need to find a way of disabling touch (!) as with the cracked screen it's making it unusable due to phantom touches. Ironically putting the old broken cable in would be better now!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms