Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pgibelin
Paper Tape
Views: 2,741
Message 1 of 4

Yoga 900 USB-C to DisplayPort

Hi

I have a USB-C to DisplayPort converter cable to connect my Yoga 900 to an HP Envy 32 with a resolution of 3440 x 1440 pixels. It normally works reasonably well, except for two things: (1) It usually takes three or four connections (pulling USB-C connector in and out) until the monitor is recorgnized and (2) it flickers from time to time.

Hopefully, this is an issue with the cheap cable and not the expensive computer or monitor!

Now, the USB-C port is spec'ed as having native display port 1.2 video output. Does this mean that I should be able to use a simple cable without a protruding converter as the one in the link below or do I absolutely need a converter? Does the Yoga 900 comply with Alternative Mode DisplayPort? Are there any recommended cables? I didn't check the Lenovo shop in a while, but there was nothing like this when I last looked.

USB-C to DisplayPort 1,8 m cable: https://www.amazon.es/Cable-adaptador-Plugable-USB-C-DisplayPort/dp/B01EXKDRAC/ref=sr_1_29?s=electro...

This one's a little long for my configuration. A 100 cm cable would be enough.

Thanks!

-Philippe Gibelin

Moderator note: your Amazon link was badly broken and pointed to a non-existant forum page. I've corrected it to point at Amazon - hopefully it's what you intended.

pgibelin
Paper Tape
Views: 2,696
Message 2 of 4

Re: Yoga 900 USB-C to DisplayPort

To the moderator, thanks for fixing the broken link. I guess pasting it introduced carriage returns.

Now, can't someone from Lenovo answer my question? This is a very basic question! What type of cable can I use to connect my Yoga 900 to a DisplayPort? The spec is very ambiguous: USB-C with native display port 1.2 video output. Does this mean that all that is needed is a converter cable or do I really need something like what I am already using, which, I understand, transforms the signal from USB-C to DP.

Lenovo support has been horrible ever since I decided to look into buying a Yoga 900, in Spain. The laptop is fine, I like it a lot, but I expected better support from Lenovo.

Regards

-Philippe Gibelin

XavierC
Paper Tape
Views: 2,669
Message 3 of 4

Hi,

I'm pretty sure that "native display port" means you dont need an "active" converter, but just a hybrid cable, which apparently is what you already have. All products under 100€ are passive "pin to pin" converters, and not active converters. So i'm pretty sure this is what you already have. Maybe you can try a different one to check if flickering disappears.

Cheers

pgibelin
Paper Tape
Views: 2,650
Message 4 of 4

Thanks for your response. I really am not sure what type of adapter I have, if it is passive or active, but it did cost less than 30 €. It is a short converter/adapter that I plug into the laptop's USB-C and into a normal DisplayPort cable that goes to the monitor. I want to try another converter, but I have to make sure that I am getting the right type.

I still haven't received any feedback from Lenovo about this. 

-Philippe

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors