cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
leofrish
Paper Tape
Views: 11,644
Message 1 of 15

Yoga 900 Video out on USB Type-C port not supporting DVI or HDMI!!!

Been a little embarrassed at two client sites in the last couple of weeks when I've tried to share my screen using the USB type-C port with either DVI or HDMI. In both cases (but not with VGA - it works fine with VGA, usually) the system locks - no keyboard, no mouse, until I remove the cable from the USB port.

I've tried this with several adaptors - DVI-DisplayPort-USBC; HDMI-DisplayPort-USBC (there are no "multi-adaptors" from TypeC to all output types - VGA, DVI and HDMI, but there are plenty of display port multi-adaptors, and there are TypeC to DisplayPort.)

The system at my office is VGA - and it works just fine. When I try to plug the DVI cable into the multi-adaptor, though, it behaves exaclty like at client sites - machine lock up and then no DVI out on the secondary monitor. Same for HDMI at the office - machine locks up for several seconds, recovers and then no HDMI out.

Can't really afford to buy three completely different adaptors (assuming they're even made) for all possible client possibilities.

Please tell me what diagnostics i can perform to isolate the problem.

To summarize:

VGA->DisplayPort->TypeC works (most of the time - not in all instances)

DVI>DisplayPort>C never works (locks up and then doesn't recognize seconndary monitor

HDMI>DisplayPort>C - ditto with DVI

Thanks.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 11,638
Message 2 of 15

Re: Yoga 900 Video out on USB Type-C port not supporting DVI or HDMI!!!

Hello and welcome,

To clarify for me and others reading your post:  your issue is only with USB-C to multi-adapters, but not with individual ones?  Your post subject implies a more general issue than that.

After reading your post I plugged my Cable Matters USB-C to HDMI (single interface) adapter into my 900 and it works fine.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

leofrish
Paper Tape
Views: 11,630
Message 3 of 15

Thanks for the request for clarification. I don't have single USB-C to HDMI (or DVI, or VGA) adapater/cables. This is to a USB-C to DisplayPort to Multi-Video adapter (HDMI/DVI/VGA).

Just got off a chat with Lenovo support - they had me update my Bios and suggested this was a known problem. Uninstalled the USB drivers after bios update. Rebooted per instructions.

Thankfully, the machine came back up just fine. Unfortunately, that didn't solve the problem.

I can't afford to purchase $200 worth of single purpose adapters, but I appreciate you trying out a single purpose adapter on your machine. That's some additional data at least.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 11,621
Message 4 of 15

The USB-C to single interface adapters are $20-25 each (and small...), but I hear you.

I'm still a little confused, though.  Is this a single gadget or a USB-C to Display Port adapter + a separate DP to multi adapter?

Sorry to be so dense.  How about linking to your specific hardware?

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

leofrish
Paper Tape
Views: 11,609
Message 5 of 15

And I apologize for not being clearer.

Two separate devices.

USB-C-> DP - found here.

DP-Multi-Video Dongle - found here

For a few bucks, I can try an alternate version of what I've got, but I'm trying to find a hydra-headed video adapter to USB-TypeC and eliminate the middle connector.

Found one, but it's pricey, so still looking 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 11,600
Message 6 of 15

Thanks for the additional info.  That may help others here come up with suggestions.

I don't have one for you, and can't even swear to the usability of the other single adapters.  I've only tested the USB-C to HDMI one I have.

Good luck,

Z.

dadad1956
What's DOS?
Views: 11,215
Message 7 of 15

I have same problem.  My Insignia Type-C to HDMI (single adapter) will not connect to my TV monitor. If there are no known issues with Yoga 900 type-C port then I will buy another adapter.

leofrish
Paper Tape
Views: 10,735
Message 8 of 15

Okay. More info on this.

I have now successfully demonstrated that it is the Intel drivers causing the problem. I have connected my USB-C-mini-display-port adapter to a mini-displayport->HDMI cable and the Intel drivers do not recognize the HDMI. I have done this now on multiple cables to the same effect.

When I try to download the most recent Intel drivers from the Lenovo support site, I get a warning message that the drivers are not designed for this machine!!!!

When I try to enter my serial number to get support, I'm told the serial number isn't recognized!!! 

When I use Lenovo's "Bridge" application, it informs me it can't read my product information and enter it manually!

I need help, and I don't know where to go.

If anyone is listening and can help me, I'd appreciate it.

leofrish
Paper Tape
Views: 10,545
Message 9 of 15

@zoltanthegypsy...
I'm now convinced it isn't the adapter at all, but in fact the Intel 520 display drivers. I've replaced the adapters and no adapter or cable will cause the machine to recognize and HDMI connected external display. Can you confirm what driver version you are using with your Yoga 900?

I'd really appreciate it since it's now almost 9 months into my using the machine and I've never been able to get it to connect to an HDMI monitor (with multiple driver update attempts, to boot!)

Thanks.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 10,541
Message 10 of 15

Sure thing.  Let me go dig the stuff out of the closet.....

I guess a picture is worth 1k words so see below.  This is with the Cable Matters adapter.

Regards,

Z.

Yoga 900 HDMI Adapter Driver Version on TV RESIZED.JPG

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors