Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mengland0
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,446
Message 1 of 13

Yoga 900 Wakes from Sleep when picked up by the short edge

I want to demonstrate aproblem I have had with my Yoga 900 to see if others have had similar issues.

I discovered this when I put my Yoga, (which was asleep) in my backpack, and then later noticed it was awake. It took me a while to figure out what was happening, but I finally determined that it had nothing to do with the backpack.

My Yoga 900 would wake up when picked up by the short edge (as I did to put it n my backpack). You can see this in the video:

Yoga 900 Waking when pickedup

(BTW -- I am not squeezing the laptop, I am just holding it as needed to pick it up by the edge. This does press down on the lid and there is upward pressure on the bottom. It is the pressure on the cover that seems to be the cause of the laptop waking)

Note that Lenovo has been great, and is sending me a replacement laptop. But I am curious if others see this same problem.

Is this a common Yoga 900 Issue?

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,396
Message 2 of 13

Re: Yoga 900 Wakes from Sleep when picked up by the short edge

I have no idea if this is a common problem or not. All I can say is that I have two Yoga 900s, and I'm not seeing this issue on either of them. Good to hear that you are getting a replacement though.

----------------------------

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ...

mengland0
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,361
Message 3 of 13

I now have the machine where I demonstrated the problem and the replacement that Lenovo sent.  Both have exactly the same problem when you pick them up by the edge near the power button, as I showed in the video,

I have been able to figure out tht it is the the pressure on the top cover (where my thumb is) that causes the machine to wake.  I can simply press that area and wake a sleeping Yoga 900.

And FWIW, the new machine also has the other problem I recorded where a single key press will generate two charaters.

Both of there laptops are going back I am sad to say.

russr1123
Punch Card
Views: 1,300
Message 4 of 13

Can you give us an update on this please?

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,296
Message 5 of 13

@russr1123 wrote:

It's been discussed in another thread:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/Yoga-900-Lid-close-sleep-issue/m-p/2228088...

Basically, it looks as though the keyboard is still active when the lid is closed, and if the Y900 is squeezed hard, it is possible that a key gets depressed, which wakes up the laptop. It has been reported to Lenovo.

----------------------------

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ...

mengland0
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,262
Message 6 of 13

@russr1123 wrote:

Absolutely.  I received a replacement Yoga 900 which exhibits exactly the sane problem:

https://youtu.be/VLdTrSvnVEA

If this is a caused by a keypress when the Yoga 900 is picked up, the solution should be simple - turn off the keyboard (and the trackpad while you are at it) when the cover is closed.  Or at least ignore clicks or presses when the cover is closed.

While Lenovo is updating the keyboard driver to ignore presses when closed, perhaps they could also fix the "Duplicate Charater on a single Key-press" problem I posted earlier:

https://youtu.be/n8JZ5p-lqEA

russr1123
Punch Card
Views: 1,258
Message 7 of 13

This is really odd because I just bought the silver 16gb/512gb and it has no issues with sleeping with the lid closed and no issues with waking when I pick it up from the side.

bibleharmony
Punch Card
Views: 1,202
Message 8 of 13

I have the same issue. It would be nice to find a solution before the return windows ends. I don't want to keep it if it has a physical issue that can't be resolved with an update.

russr1123
Punch Card
Views: 1,138
Message 9 of 13

It is a hardware defect.  I exchanged mine for another and it has no problems.

mengland0
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,114
Message 10 of 13

You got lucky I guess. As I showed in my second video, I had an original Y900 and a replacement, Y900 and they both had the identical problem.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors