Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jannesalovaara
Fanfold Paper
Views: 369
Message 1 of 5

Yoga 900 i7 or Thinkpad 15 Yoga i7

Hello community! 

As no sales rep at my local reseller's couldn't clearly answer to me, I lean on you the community in my struggle to find a good replacement for MacBook Pro which I want to now abandon for ethical reasons Smiley Happy 

I was that close to ordering a Yoga 900 with i7, 16gb and 512. But: sales rep after another stressed the importance of having a designated display card for me to be able to do photoshop + light 3d work (no HD rendering or anything, just modelling). So I started to look around again and as I love the Yoga hinge and the features that follow I'd want to have that instead of XPS for example, that would in a way be a smarter choice.

And I found the Thinkpad 15 inch that you can upgrade to have the i7, 16gb and a 512 SSD, and with that you'd get 2gb display ram. Though the trade from HQD to HD is annoying to me, but I could suck it up if in other sense the Thinkpad Yoga and it's 2gb display ram really is that effective for my line of work. 

So in short, as a 2D/3D designer, mostly working with Rhino, Google Sketch, Illustrator, Photoshop and Office – which would be the smarter choice: Thinkpad Yoga 15 upgraded to i7-5500U or Yoga 900 13.3 with it's i7-6500U? 

Guru
Views: 346
Message 2 of 5

Re: Yoga 900 i7 or Thinkpad 15 Yoga i7

It'd be a better idea to go with the ThinkPad 15 Yoga. Lenovo does have the Yoga 700 that has dedicated graphics card, if you want to look into that as well.

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Motorola   •IdeaPad   •ThinkPad   •Gaming   •ThinkCentre   •IdeaCentre   •Think Tablets   •Lenovo Tablets

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

jannesalovaara
Fanfold Paper
Views: 317
Message 3 of 5

Found out (thanks to Google) that I'd probably best to wait until the Thinkpad P40 Yoga comes out early 2016. Seems to beat Yoga 900 and 15 both hands down. 

Guru
Views: 307
Message 4 of 5

That's true, its a beast of a product!

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Motorola   •IdeaPad   •ThinkPad   •Gaming   •ThinkCentre   •IdeaCentre   •Think Tablets   •Lenovo Tablets

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

jannesalovaara
Fanfold Paper
Views: 211
Message 5 of 5

And looking further into it: P40 won't have a proper display in Europe, only FHD. Probably still the best option is to buy Surface Book instead... 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors