Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iabdelnur
Paper Tape
Views: 2,682
Message 1 of 19

Yoga 900 - very short power cable

Hello, the USB power cable is very short. Almost as short as the Macbook air cable but the Lenovo does not bring the prolonger. What should I do to have a longer cable or how can I prolong the cable? Thank Youg.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 2,627
Message 2 of 19

Re: Yoga 900 - very short power cable

Good day.

A number of folks have commented that they would like a longer reach with the cabling.

What I've personally done is to get a short, inexpensive extension cord that I plug the power block into, and then plug that cord into the wall receptacle. This arrangement mimics, in some ways, the design used on other Lenovo laptops.

Hope this helps a bit.

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

iabdelnur
Paper Tape
Views: 2,581
Message 3 of 19

Is it possible to plug the USB charging cable to another AC Adapter? I mean, all those AC adapters that are usually use to charge phones, tables, with a USB cable.

Thank you.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 2,565
Message 4 of 19

@iabdelnur wrote:

Is it possible to plug the USB charging cable to another AC Adapter? I mean, all those AC adapters that are usually use to charge phones, tables, with a USB cable.

Thank you.

Probably not, I think will be the answer. I've looked at the connector at the AC adapter end of a micro-USB charging cable, and compared it with the same end of the Lenovo cable, and there appear to be extra pins present in the Yoga 900 cable.

----------------------------

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ...

chillycat
Paper Tape
Views: 2,277
Message 5 of 19

Agree !!

Need that cable to be closer to 10 feet long. [not asking that much] Smiley Happy

Factory type "OEM'ish".  Not a extension cord.

Anyone ??

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 2,267
Message 6 of 19

As gcoupe describes, there are additional contacts in the cable that connects the power supply and the laptop. There may be an engineering reason for the length of the cable, but that's only supposition on my part.

Personally, I purchased a 6' black extension cable that had three plug inputs on one side, which I find useful, and I called it a day. No way I'm risking an "OEM'ish" cable and getting a crossed contact feeding too much power into the wrong electrical path.

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

chillycat
Paper Tape
Views: 2,262
Message 7 of 19

Gotcha!!!! Might as well get over it, and buy myself an exotic extension cord.

Like you, i'm not looking to be experimenting with the finest laptop i've ever owned.

Thanks for the reply
SeniorGuru
Views: 2,248
Message 8 of 19

@sarbin wrote:

As gcoupe describes, there are additional contacts in the cable that connects the power supply and the laptop. There may be an engineering reason for the length of the cable, but that's only supposition on my part.

Also those contacts carry 20VDC, not the 5VDC that ordinary USB chargers produce.

Personally, I purchased a 6' black extension cable that had three plug inputs on one side, which I find useful, and I called it a day. No way I'm risking an "OEM'ish" cable and getting a crossed contact feeding too much power into the wrong electrical path.

I've always carried a short extension cord in my notebook bag. It's indispensible when travelling. I've used it at airports to share power outlets with strangers. I've used it in hotel rooms where most of the outlets are already occupied by their stuff. I've used it overseas with a single mechanical power adapter to power several chargers. And now I can use it to extend the length of the Yoga AC charger. Short extension cords are inexpensive and light. They should be in every traveller's notebook bag.

Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,232
Message 9 of 19

Another mod put me onto this one.  It doesn't add a great deal of length but it's very handy.

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-MP-OTG400-BK-Outlets/dp/B000F9YN2M/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1458879968&...

Z.

Monster travel extension cord.jpg

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

Highlighted
JPGM
Paper Tape
Views: 1,779
Message 10 of 19

What kind of USB power cable do I buy if I ever lose the original one? That is something of a concern as I haven't been able to find one and there is a real chance that one day I lose it.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors