Re: Yoga 900 - very short power cable

From Lenovo.  Only place known to have the OEM kit

JPGM
Paper Tape
Views: 362
Message 12 of 19

Thank you!

I was hoping I could just buy it elsewhere as what I found is a whopping $49.99 plus shipping. And I'm not even certain it includes a power cable....

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/itemdetails/GX20K15992/460/B5F03F2D7A74472998C11037ACE71BFB#GX20K15992

For all I know it is just the adapter as the tech specs make no mention of the cable length.

Honestly, if I had known about the huge chunk of an adapter and the short cort, I'd have passed. In this price class I do not think it reasonable that money is saved on a feet of cable, not even mentioning possibly not being able to replace it or that the adapter is unfortunately placed and takes up two outlets by default.

chillycat
Paper Tape
Views: 353
Message 13 of 19

I was a little pissy at first.[and aggravated]
But i've grown to absolutely love this YOGA.
Wouldn't trade it for anything... "current"
SeniorGuru
Views: 351
Message 14 of 19

@JPGM wrote:

For all I know it is just the adapter as the tech specs make no mention of the cable length.

Honestly, if I had known about the huge chunk of an adapter and the short cort, I'd have passed. In this price class I do not think it reasonable that money is saved on a feet of cable, not even mentioning possibly not being able to replace it or that the adapter is unfortunately placed and takes up two outlets by default. 

The photo in the link clearly shows a USB cable. Since many people buy these chargers for use at multiple locations like home and office, or to replace ones they've misplaced or lost, it seems inconceivable that such a critical and proprietary cable wouldn't be included with the charger.

I agree that the AC-cordless design is poor because it takes up two outlets. I much prefer the traditional ThinkPad AC charger design with a separate AC cable. One simple way to mitigate this design flaw is to carry a short AC extension. The one I use has three AC outlets so I can share an outlet in places where they're scarce (many airports) or plug other devices like a smartphone charger into the extension.

Paper Tape
Views: 335
Message 15 of 19

Even though the cable is shown in the picture, based on experience I know that it is not wise to therefor pressume that it must be included.

Even if it is included, I find it preposterous that I cannot just buy the cable without the adapter. Really, if I had known that this is the way Lenova does business, I'd have passed.

I spend over 1500 euro on a product, only to learn I need to carry an extension cord with me.

Oh, and that if I ever need to replace the power cable it means also shelling out good money for an adapter I probably won't be needing to replace.

I am surprised that none of the pro-testers ever mentioned any of this in their reviews.

SeniorGuru
Views: 330
Message 16 of 19

@JPGM wrote:

Even though the cable is shown in the picture, based on experience I know that it is not wise to therefor pressume that it must be included. 

You could contact Lenovo NL for confirmation. Or you could rely on Lenovo's listing on Amazon.com, "Package Included: 1 X AC Adapter, 1 X Power Cord." 

Even if it is included, I find it preposterous that I cannot just buy the cable without the adapter. Really, if I had known that this is the way Lenova does business, I'd have passed. 

In my experience this is how AC chargers come from most vendors. In some cases the DC cable is integrated into the charger case. 

Oh, and that if I ever need to replace the power cable it means also shelling out good money for an adapter I probably won't be needing to replace.

I am surprised that none of the pro-testers ever mentioned any of this in their reviews.

Prehaps because, as I said above, this is the norm rather than the exception.

What's DOS?
Views: 212
Message 17 of 19

I tried buying an extension USB 3.0 and it didn't work. This is really a pain. 

EliM1
What's DOS?
Views: 212
Message 18 of 19

It is shocking to me that Lenovo has not offered a longer cord that works with this adapter. I tried buying an extension USB 3.0 and it didn't work. Also, the adapter takes up two ports when plugged into a wall. Overall, dreadful design. If I had known what an inconvenience it would be to have to be this close to plugs all the time I would have chosen a different laptop. 

SeniorGuru
Views: 205
Message 19 of 19

@EliM1 wrote:

I tried buying an extension USB 3.0 and it didn't work. This is really a pain. 

A USB extension cable can't possibly work because this AC charger uses a proprietary modification to the USB design. Note the notched corner on the end of the cable that goes into the Yoga and the corresponding notch in the jack on the side of the Yoga.

If you need a longer power cable then use an ordinary AC extension cord. These come in various lengths like 3', 6', 10', etc. This solution is also better because it only uses one AC receptacle. (Some AC chargers are so large that plugging them into one jack in a standard AC duplex outlet blocks access to the other jack.)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors