Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tuhin
Punch Card
Views: 1,277
Message 1 of 25

Yoga 900 waking from sleep

Hello,

My Yoga 900 has woken from sleep in my backpack multiple times. I have tried to find a setting to disable the keyboard while the computer is asleep, but I have not been able to find one. I have asked technical support about this problem and they too do not have a solution. I requested the agent I spoke with to pass along my request to the tech department and he agreed to do so. Is there some existing way for me to solve this issue? 

blero
WWAN
Views: 1,261
Message 2 of 25

Re: Yoga 900 waking from sleep

Hello,

Why don't you just put the Yoga to hibernation while in your backpack ?

tuhin
Punch Card
Views: 1,256
Message 3 of 25

I thought about doing that, but I have read it's not a good idea to hibernate devices with SSDs because it reduces their lifespan. If that's incorrect, please let me know. 

blero
WWAN
Views: 1,252
Message 4 of 25

Hello,

I've never heard about that and don't see how that could be possible... You probably know that when in hibernation mode, your Yoga is completely powered off ?

Do you have a link to this theory ?

tuhin
Punch Card
Views: 1,244
Message 5 of 25

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/disable-hibernate-ssd-warranty-purposes/

Yes, I know it is powered off during hibernation. The files for waking the device up are stored on the SSD when hibernating. Hibernating the device multiple times a day means writing to it over and over, something that will reduce the SSD's life since SSDs have a limited number of write cycles before they stop working.
blero
WWAN
Views: 1,240
Message 6 of 25

Hello,

Ok, this is again one of the numerous known misleading "informations" one can find on the Internet. It's been discussed over and over for years.

You probably didn't read all the comments at the bottom of the page, at least not the one by "Doc" (comment #1567709), which leads the author of the article to "... apologize for potentially misleading readers"...

I will just quote "Doc" in his comment #1567711 a little further:

"Don't let the poster spread FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt)".

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,235
Message 7 of 25

@tuhin wrote:

Hibernating the device multiple times a day means writing to it over and over, something that will reduce the SSD's life since SSDs have a limited number of write cycles before they stop working.

The chances that anything you are able to do would exhaust the service life of an SSD during the practical lifetime of the laptop are simply miniscule.

------------------------------
I don't work for Lenovo
tuhin
Punch Card
Views: 1,219
Message 8 of 25

Are you guys both sure it won't damage it in the long run? This is my first laptop with an SSD, so I am new to maintaining and running SSDs and I want to make sure it does not go bad. If you have a link to an article discussing hibernation and SSDs, would you mind posting it as well?
blero
WWAN
Views: 1,214
Message 9 of 25

Hello,

Of course it will damage it in the long run... that's what happens for every piece of hardware in a PC when you use it.

There is just no need to bother.

Everybody uses SSD and hibernation since a long time with no problem.

Articles discussing about "hibernation and SSD" are likely going to spread the same wrong ideas, because there is no reason to discuss about that in the first place.

Did you read the posts of "Doc" I mentioned ? Even the author had to admit his article was misleading: he just doesn't know what he's talking about and probably repeated what he read in an other article without understanding.

That's how rumors spread.

What do you need more ?

tuhin
Punch Card
Views: 1,212
Message 10 of 25

Good point. Thanks for pointing out the comment and for your help!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors