Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tsftd
Paper Tape
Views: 195,796
Message 1 of 52

Yoga 900 -- won't turn on (SOLVED)

I've had it for a bit under a month, and apart from an occasionally sketchy touchscreen for the first week or so, it's been perfect.  I have a crazy job where I'm in a different location at least every week, sometimes every day, and my duties vary from teaching to materials creation to curriculum development to programming to IT.

Unfortunately, I got home last night, and it wouldn't turn on.  Fine; I figured that maybe the battery was dead.  Plugged it in, and still no joy, but hey, I figured maybe it wouldn't start until it hit a certain minimum charge level (a la many smartphones).  So I left it charging overnight, packed it when I went to work this morning, got here, and... it still won't start.

Indicators/symptoms:

The only I/O that appears to be working is the charge indicator (the small circular light next to the power button) and the power button light.

If I plug in the power, the small circular light stays on (white) until I unplug it.

Plugging in the power also sometimes causes the power light to turn on (again, white), and it will stay on (regardless of whether it's plugged in) until I force power-off via holding the power button.

Nothing else works/responds.  The fans do not turn on, the caps lock light does not light up, the keyboard backlight can not be turned on.  Nothing.  As far as I can tell, the computer isn't even on -- only the power light.  I have tried every hotkey (and other key) on the keyboard.

When it is off, pressing/holding the power button will not turning it on -- only plugging in (or unplugging and replugging in) the power cable will cause the power button to turn back on.

The only other response that I can get is that (again, ONLY when the power cable is plugged in) when the charge indicator is on, but the power is off, if I hold the power button for a REALLY long time (like 20 seconds), the white light turns off, then a second later, a red/orange light comes on for a second or two, and then it turns off and the white light returns shortly.  This does not appear to actually accomplish anything.

Using the OneKey Recovery button doesn't do anything, and nor should it -- the BIOS isn't posting.  Likewise, I can't flash the BIOS, etc.

I didn't bring the video output adapter to work today, so I'll double check via that when I get home, but I really doubt that I'll see anything, given that the keyboard is unresponsive and even the power buttons aren't working properly.

The next step is probably going to be taking off the bottom to reseat the battery cable and/or try running it straight off the AC adapter -- that's the logical step with a laptop, it's just unfortunate that the Yogas don't have removable ones.  I can also reseat everything else while I'm in there, just in case.

I didn't see anything warning that this will void the warranty, but I figured that I would ask on here to see if anyone could give me something else to try before I dig up my T5s.

tsftd
Paper Tape
Views: 195,632
Message 2 of 52

Re: Yoga 900 -- won't turn on

Can happily confirm that, after the video out was a fail, cracking the case and reseating the battery resolved the issue.  Pro tip: Take the extra 30 seconds to unscrew and physically remove the battery -- it makes de and reattaching the power connector much easier, and reduces the chances of you screwing anything up.

I'm of course disappointed with the issue itself, and would like to see a pinhole disconnect or maybe a slide to do it, should Lenovo not want to implement a removable battery (especially given the Torx requirement for removing the case).

However, stuff WILL happen with computers, and I do have to say that this was the easiest laptop decasing I've ever done (assuming you have Torxes lying around) -- and I've opened up a LOT of laptops, as well as built out a lot of whitebooks, so that's saying something.

Altogether, despite a few gripes (lack of availability of power adapters, I'm looking at you...), I remain very happy with it, and continue recommending it to everyone.

Zabyzab
What's DOS?
Views: 193,899
Message 3 of 52

I was wondering if there is anyway you could take the time and explain exactly what you did. Only because I have the same exact issue and I also recently bought this laptop. I have Best Buy Geek squads Accidental support and they're willing to to take it in but I have not yet backed it up and there is a chance I will loose everything. I just need it to turn on at least one time to back up a couple things before I send it in. Geek squad offers a service to recover hard drives but they are costly and I'd like to prevent that from happening. I have barely used my laptop since my semester has been out and the one week I decide to use it this happens. 

Also, I am aware that if I remove the battery my geek squad warranty becomes void, I figure I can tip toe around that.

And one last thing, when you finally got it to turn on was everything in the laptop resented or back to normal, basically did you loose anything?

Thank you.

RkyMtnOC
Paper Tape
Views: 183,872
Message 4 of 52

I experienced the exact same symptoms as above. Charge light on. Power button light came on after removing power cord and plugging back in. But, no other response from the computer when pressing power button on numerous times with short and long pressed.

Search web and most fixes include laptop surgery to remove battery connection to system. Ugh. I hate opening systems. Did this for a few years in the past and most of the mfg build quality stinks and causes broken parts.

I did run across a post suggesting to perform this:

1. Press and hold down power button for 1 minute (time it!!)

2. Release the power button after 1 minute and press power button as you normally would to power up system.

THIS WORKED!!!

magisktv
Blue Screen Again
Views: 48,321
Message 5 of 52

Thank you very much, this worked for me! I had the exact same issue (solid white power indicator). Held down power button for 60 seconds, after which I could boot normally. Glad I didn't need to screw the whole thing open to get to the battery. 

RkyMtnOC
Paper Tape
Views: 179,639
Message 6 of 52

Additionally, I found that it may be helpful to turn off the Windows 10 option to disable "Fast start". As well, when I was holding down the power button, I noticed that after 20 seconds or so the charge indicator light would flash amber. During my 1 minute hold, the charge indicator flashed amber about 3 times. It may be that all one needs to do is hold down the power button until the charge indicator light flashes amber and then release the power button and press it again to start up the system.
vletroye
What's DOS?
Views: 178,208
Message 7 of 52

I have the very very same issue; exactly word-for-word what you describe. As mine is a band new Lenovo, if you are right, I presume that the quality of some components must be (too) low and those fail faster than expected (Planned obsolescence) :/

When this happened to me for the first time, I was eventually able to turn the Yoga on by unfolding completely the screen (360°) and pressing the power button for 10 seconds (until the charge indicator flashes) + pressing once more to turn on the Yoga. I did use that trick successfuly five or six times later (within ~2 months). But today, it doesn't work anymore... 

I am really disappointed by this Lenovo as I never had any similar issue with my previous laptop: acer, sony, dell, ...

Fortunatelly, the trick of RkyMtnOC did it, but ONLY with the screen open (~90°) and the power cable plugged!

Thx for reporting your experience here guys ! it helped a lot !

lisamarie5
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 177,999
Message 8 of 52

same problem. so disappointed in lenovo!
lisamarie5
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 177,826
Message 9 of 52

same problem with new computer. Does anyone from Lenovo care to read this and rectify this? I should not have to  take apart a new computer. Will never buy Lenovo again.

BTFOffice
Paper Tape
Views: 176,782
Message 10 of 52

I have this exact problem. 

I have tried the press button for one minute and even diconnected teh battery but to no satisfaction or resolution.

I wish I had seen this post before as I would not have bought a LENOVO 900.

In my case I can turn off the tablet if it is on battery and I press and hold the power button for 20 seconds. But the problem still manifests itself when I hit teh power button or press the NOVO button.  

If I am connected by the power charger I can not turn the unit off.

If I hold down the power button the status light flashes Amber then white. The Kepbord Backlight also flases with the  status light.

I can not access the onetouch button and no information appears on teh screen.  It appears as if the bios is not loading.

This tabet is brand new.  It would for first boot up but that is all.

I noticed that it has an older vesrsion of teh BIOS #32  current version is #37

I looked at the Service manual it it was useless.

My next computer will be a HP if I can not resolve this issue.

NOT HAPPY LENOVO

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors