Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
archanav85
Paper Tape
Views: 2,722
Message 1 of 8

Yoga 900s battery won't charge

Hi,

I have a new Lenovo Yoga 900S. Everything was working great until Windows automatically installed the anniversary update last night. Now, the battery won't charge. Thankfully, the laptop seems to be running on A/C, since the battery is not draining. But it won't charge.

I've checked the energy management settings, and I've tried uninstalling the Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery driver. But nothing has fixed the issue.

Please let me know if you've encountered this problem.

Thanks.

SeniorGuru
Views: 2,708
Message 2 of 8

Re: Yoga 900s battery won't charge

Welcome to the forum!

Could you please go into Lenovo Settings, click the Battery icon on the left tool bar and report what you see.

In particular:

1. What is the Main Battery Condition?

2. What does Battery Status Messages say?

3. Click Show Details. What does Status show when on AC?

4. What does Status show when on battery power?

5. Scroll down the Power Status page. Do you see a section called Conservation Mode? Is it On?

Paper Tape
Views: 2,695
Message 3 of 8

Thanks for getting back to me. Here is the info you requested:

Main Battery Condition: Good

Battery Status Message: The battery is in good condition

Status on AC: No activity

Satus on Battery: Discharging

Conservation Mode: Off

The current battery level is 95%, if this matters. Before the update, my laptop would happily charge to 100%. 

SeniorGuru
Views: 2,689
Message 4 of 8

@archanav85 wrote:

Status on AC: No activity

Satus on Battery: Discharging

Conservation Mode: Off

The current battery level is 95%, if this matters. Before the update, my laptop would happily charge to 100%. 

The statuses on AC and battery suggest that Conservation Mode should be On, even though it's off. Do you by chance have a section on that page that's called Battery Charge Threshold? If so, is it set?

The situation you describe suggests that some software function is intentionally preventing the charging system from doing a full recharge.

Another possibility is that the battery is indeed 100% charged even when the battery gauge says 95%. In that case you could try doing a battery gauge reset. But note that this process could take several hours during which you wouldn't be able to use the system. And it seems odd that you'd need to do this on a new system in the first place.

Paper Tape
Views: 2,686
Message 5 of 8

Thanks again for your advice.

I watched the battery guage discharge from 100% to 95%, and the status messages have never indicated that the battery began charging once plugged back in. I also did a hardware check via the Lenovo solutions tool, and everything passed. Honestly, it seems like something in the Lenovo maintenance suite is incompatable with the Windows Anniversary Update.

I do not have an option for the Battery Charge Threshold, and there isn't any Battey Gauage Reset option. Is there some way of activating these functions? Also, would it help to reinstall or refresh the Lenovo tools? If so, how would I do this?

SeniorGuru
Views: 2,680
Message 6 of 8

@archanav85 wrote:

I watched the battery guage discharge from 100% to 95%, and the status messages have never indicated that the battery began charging once plugged back in.

That sounds like Conservation Mode is On. I appreciate that you said it's Off.

Try to set Conservation Mode to On and see if that changes anything. Then set it back to Off. Perhaps the act of toggling the setting will have some effect.

Honestly, it seems like something in the Lenovo maintenance suite is incompatable with the Windows Anniversary Update. 

I have Anniversary Edition installed on my Yoga 900s. Conservation Mode is On. I just tested discharging the battery to under 40%, then going back to AC and watching it recharge the battery to 60% and then stop. This behavior is consistent with Conservation Mode being On.

I do not have an option for the Battery Charge Threshold, and there isn't any Battey Gauage Reset option. Is there some way of activating these functions? Also, would it help to reinstall or refresh the Lenovo tools? If so, how would I do this?

Yes, I kind of expected that but I thought I'd ask. I don't have either on my Y900s either. But I do have them on my ThinkPads that run Win10. Apparently these are ThinkPad-only features.

You say you've "tried uninstalling the Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery driver." Just to be clear, do you really mean the Lenovo one, i.e. Advanced Configuration and Power Management Interface (ACPI) Driver for Windows 10 (32-bit, 64-bit) ...? I see it was last updated on the 9th. Is that the version you have?

Otherwise I'm running out of ideas. Perhaps someone else will chime in with other suggestions.

Paper Tape
Views: 2,675
Message 7 of 8

So, after an hour of support chat with Lenovo, this is what finally worked.

- BIOS update

- Reinstall Lenovo Settings app

- Uninstall Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery driver

- Reboot computer

Worth a shot if anyone else has the same issue with their Yoga 900 series.

SeniorGuru
Views: 2,669
Message 8 of 8

@archanav85 wrote:

this is what finally worked...

Good to hear that this worked out for you. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors