cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PhoebeBarnard
Blue Screen Again
Views: 937
Message 1 of 6

Yoga 910 13IKB - most of my files have disappeared!

Will appreciate help - I am alarmed that most of my document files have suddenly disappeared from the desktop and, seemingly, the hard disk.  This laptop is eight months old and I initially suspected a "cloak of invisibility" problem while awaiting a software update.  Random individual files and folders appeared in the recycle bin, but most have disappeared completely.  Virus scan and hardware scan have not identified any problems or out of date software.  I did receive a completely blank email today before this happened (no visible sender, no subject line) - not opened - which is suspicious. 

Researching this online, I see several related queries about icons disappearing from the desktop, but am doubtful that my issue is the same.   Still unsure if this is a Lenovo update issue or a virus disaster.   Any suggestions?    Many thanks!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 931
Message 2 of 6

Re: Yoga 910 13IKB - most of my files have disappeared!

It is not a problem I have seen or heard of.  I suggest microsoft offline defender.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17466/windows-defender-offline-help-protect-my-pc

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
PhoebeBarnard
Blue Screen Again
Views: 929
Message 3 of 6

Thanks, I think that this might be a software update issue rather than a virus attack.  I do have anti-virus and anti-malware protection through my institute.   I'd like this forum to identify file recovery options, as preventative stuff is too late for me.   I gather that others have experienced similar, if not identical problems. Thanks

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 923
Message 4 of 6

Anytime there is something unusual, I think anoffline scan is a good idea.  It can find rootkits and other attackers that can be hidden when the operating system is running.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
MisaelTorres
What's DOS?
Views: 568
Message 5 of 6

I have a similar problem, but with an External Lenovo UHD F309 1TB. I bougth it to store some pictures, music and movies and share them among family members. Some weeks ago, I copied some pictures and days after I noticed there were much less images than I initially copied. At that time I imagined I did not copy all the pictures I thought, and because I did not deleted the original pictures I did not pay too much attention. But today, my daughter told me some movies are not in the HD anymore, I just checked the disk and that id correct, some movies that I am sure were there now are not.

I am worried because my plan was to move files to the disk to release space on some other devices, but now I am afraid that if I copy files to the external disk and delete the original ones I will loose them in the future.

I have connected the drive only on one laptop to copy files and in a Bluray device at the USB port, and it remained connected on the Bluray when the movies were in the disk and when the files dissapear.

I have found no information related to this issue on the internet; this article is the closest one to the issue I have.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 548
Message 6 of 6

Regarding data, a wise person once told me "if it doesn't exist in at least three places, it doesn't exist." All my important photos, videos and other files are on at least two external drives and one cloud account. And I've been down to the last backup location more times than I care to count.

To your issue, I'm wondering if the Blu-Ray drive is somehow corrupting things. I'd get a second external drive or a cloud account to store things on. Reformat the external drive you have and start over. This way, if it continues to happen, you have everything backed up to a second location. It's also worthwhile to burn copies onto DVD drives and keep them in a safe place. 

Meanwhile, get a cheap, small thumb drive to use when there are things you wish to view through the BD player. Copy over only what you want to watch. This way, it's no big deal if the thumb drive is lost or damaged. The master copies are elsewhere. 

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors