Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ThePurpleWalrus
Paper Tape
Views: 185
Message 1 of 6

Yoga 910 HDMI out doesn't work

One day last year the HDMI out on my Yoga 910 seemingly randomly stopped working.  Since then I have not been able to use my second monitor and am starting to get frustrated.  I have contacted customer support who told me it's my problem.  I have tried a variety of new usbc to HDMI converters.  I went to geek squad, who couldn't find out the issue.  So now I am coming here to the forums for help before I go out and buy a new non-lenovo computer.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 168
Message 2 of 6

Re: Yoga 910 HDMI out doesn't work

First order of business is to download and use Lenovo Vantage to make sure all the drivers and BIOS are up-to-date.

As for Windows, make sure you're on 1803 and not 1809.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
ThePurpleWalrus
Paper Tape
Views: 141
Message 3 of 6

I am currently running windows 1803.  Windows updater doesnt recognize a need for an update to 1809.  I have been up to date with the BIOS since the last patch/update and according to lenovo's system updater, I am completely up to date.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 127
Message 4 of 6

Yeah, leave it at 1803.  1809 can cause all sorts of issues. I'm a bit confused when you say "HDMI Out." The 910 doesn't have an HDMI port. Just 1 USB-3 and 2 USB-C ports. What were you using for an adapter?

ThePurpleWalrus
Paper Tape
Views: 90
Message 5 of 6

I misspoke.  The video out is the part that doesnt work.  One of the USB-C ports has a  video output.  The computer recognizes external output such as TVs, Monitors and HDMI connections, however, it refuses to send any video "information" to the devices.  Basically, it recognizes that something is there but wont actually use it.  Sometimes I get an error message saying that it does not know what to do with the connected device, other times I won't. 

To answer your question directly, yes.  I was using an adapter, however, the issue is not the adapter.  The issue is a lack of video output.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 71
Message 6 of 6

Have you tried other devices connected to the forward USB-C port, such as external drives and so forth?  Though, if windows is recognizing what's attached to the adapter, that might mean the port is fine. If the 910s own display is working, then the graphics processor is fine.  I'd also consider testing it on a different monitor.

I can think of a few other things..

1. Windows recognizes the monitor, but you have the laptop set to only use its display either through the function key (F-10) or the Action Center (Project button).

2. The computer set to a resolution the monitor doesn't support.

3. The monitor's HDMI port is shut off or shut itself off (see #4) I use a Vizio which just works. I also have a Sony, which will disable an HDMI input if the device connected to it powers down and I leave the HDMI cable connected. I have to remove the cable, power up the 910, then reattach the cable. For some display models, the only way to reset the port shutoff is to unplug from the wall, wait a minute, then plug back in.

4. The monitor's refusing to handshake with the adapter. For some brands of monitors, power-up-sequence is important. For my Sony, the computer has to be on before attaching the HDMI cable or powering up the display. 

5. There's another piece of hardware inline between the adapter and the display, such as an AVR or splitter.

6. There's some conflict that came about during a driver or Windows update. If you have a Restore Point set at a point when you know it was working, try rolling the computer back to that or resetting it all the way back to out-of-the-box status. Remember to offload all of your data first. 

6. It's a hardware problem either with the adapter or the 910. If it's the latter, it's time to send it in. 

That's all I can think of. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors