cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Guru
Views: 2,760
Message 1 of 11

Yoga 910 - In-depth review

Disclosure: Lenovo Yoga 910 as part of the Lenovo INsiders program. All opinions are my own.

The Yoga 910 refines essentially every flaw on last year's Yoga 900; with a drastically better keyboard and trackpad, larger display, smaller bezels, and much better battery life. Even though the Yoga 910 is 13.9" (almost an inch larger), it is the same exact size as the Yoga 900, meaning the sleeve for my Yoga 900 fits the Yoga 910 perfectly.

IMG_20161231_113423332_HDR (1).jpg

Design- Just like last year's Yoga 900; the Yoga 910 has the same beautiful watchband hinge. The Yoga 910's hinge is actually much sturdier than the Yoga 900's hinge; which means that moving the display has much less wobble. This year though, the entire machine is made of metal. The sides are made of shiny, chrome metal, and the inside is covered with the all-metal unibody design. Resting my arms on the metal chassis feels great, since it's cool to the touch. Don't worry about the metal scratching; there's no scratches during the time I used it, and it's been carried in a backpack with a laptop slot. Also, the fingerprint sensor is super fast and responsive, awesome add-on.

IMG_20161231_112303665.jpg

Performance- It's got the Intel Core i7-7500U processor, up to 16GB RAM and up to 1TB PCIe storage. It's as top of the line as any ultrabook this range gets. It zips through whatever I throw at it. I edited multiple videos on it, and noticed no glitching or stuttering. I was able to stream YouTube while rendering a video, and even though the fans kicked in a full throttle, the system still didn't stutter. Speaking of the fans, I noticed in the beginning that the fan was always on, even though I wasn't doing much. There's a BIOS update on Lenovo Support that drastically improves this: I barely hear the fan when I'm just web browsing or editing documents. The only time I hear it is when I stream videos or edit/render video.

Keyboard & Trackpad-  The keyboard is much more clicky and gives you more tactile feedback than the Yoga 900. The left shift key is also larger, but the right shift key is a bit on the short side. I got used to it in a few days, and I'm able to type my typical 80wpm on this keyboard. I could see writing a paper or essay very enjoyable on this keyboard.  There's a huge improvement on the trackpad. This time, it's a Microsoft Precision Trackpad, which means you get a lot of gestures that you didn't get before. More importantly, scrolling, regular trackpad usage, and zooming is miles better than the Yoga 900. Everything is smooth, just like using the touchscreen. It's pretty amazing the drastic difference the Precision Trackpad has over the non-precision trackpad.

IMG_20161231_153635682.jpg

I have some videos showing the keyboard and trackpad.

Trackpad: 

Keyboard:

Display- It's about an inch larger than last year's display, even though it has the same dimensions, because Lenovo cut down the bezels. Texts and photos are extremely sharp on the UHD display, and the display get very bright. I had no issues using it near direct sunlight. The colors are vivid, and it has a high contrast ratio that leads to crisp details.

IMG_20161229_124913932.jpg

Battery-  It has a 78Wh battery, which is 30Wh larger than the Yoga 900, and is considerably larger than the competitors out there. If you're really power hungry and need a lot of battery life, you should go with the FHD model. Lenovo says up to 15.5 hours with that display. I have the UHD model, in which I get 8-9 hours of mixed usage. Of course, the UHD display takes up more battery because of all the pixels it has to push out; but it's entirely up to your needs.

Audio-  The two JBL speaker with Dolby Audio sound pretty good. There's a Dolby app preinstalled that allows you to change what mode you want to be in. There's movie mode, music mode, game mode, and voice mode. You can also personalize it to your liking. Dolby also adjusts the audio output when you which modes, and by that I mean laptop mode, tent mode, tablet mode, etc. Tons of modes! Check out this video on the sound in various modes: 

Webcam & Microphone- It has a 720p HD camera with dual-array microphones. The camera looks good; but since it's located on the bottom, typing during a video call would block about one-fourth of the camera viewing angle. Since it's a Yoga, I suggest propping it up into either tent or stand mode, and use it that way.

Conclusion- It's the best 2-in-1 ultrabook out there. It's by far the best looking out there, but also has top of the line performance, a wonderful display, amazing battery life, and an amazing unibody metal design.

I'd say the only thing to really consider is FHD vs UHD. If you need the laptop to last a really long time on a charge, the FHD is the best option because you get 15.5 hours of juice. Otherwise, the UHD is the way to go. 

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Motorola   •IdeaPad   •ThinkPad   •Gaming   •ThinkCentre   •IdeaCentre   •Think Tablets   •Lenovo Tablets

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

puntohgt2008
HDMI
Views: 2,613
Message 2 of 11

Betreff: Yoga 910 - In-depth review

Great job mate! 

I really have to say that the Yoga machines come very close to my beloved ThinkPads.

They miss the Trackpoint, right...

But there is ThinkPad Yoga Smiley Wink

I see a minor drawback in the removed sd cardreader.

Rest opinion to follow in my German review soon...

ƃuıʞʇɟıɹp
Guru
Views: 2,610
Message 3 of 11

Betreff: Yoga 910 - In-depth review

Thanks!

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Motorola   •IdeaPad   •ThinkPad   •Gaming   •ThinkCentre   •IdeaCentre   •Think Tablets   •Lenovo Tablets

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

jacopo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,108
Message 4 of 11

Re: Yoga 910 - In-depth review

What about the fan noise?
Do you have the same issue as many people have?
I've just bought the UHD yoga 910 and the fan is very annoying, spinning up even with the CPU load within 30-35%...

Guru
Views: 2,106
Message 5 of 11

I hear it, but it doesn't bother me. It's almost the same as last year's Yoga 900. Try the BIOS update, because that helped a lot.

Regards,
Eric Xu

jacopo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,099
Message 6 of 11

It seems to me that I have the latest version already: 2JCN34WW
The fan is quite annoying, especially because it spins a lot even when the CPU load is low.

It bothers not only me but a lot of people:
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/Yoga-910-crazy-loud-fan-even-when-CPU-at-l...
http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/28/13758382/lenovo-yoga-910-review-laptop-windows-10-convertible

This should be a quite ultrabook. What's the point of a 1700€ machine that can't handle some 20-30% workload without "taking off"?

Moderator comment: Formatting fixed.

Guru
Views: 2,096
Message 7 of 11

I've seen that thread, it looks like another BIOS update will be pushed out for "quiet mode". Personally for me, this is on par with other ultrabooks on the market. It's a pretty powerful processor, with a decently large battery, in a thin and light chassis. The only way to cool it down is to run the fans, or to thermal throttle. I'd say wait a few days for either Melon or Amy to provide updates on the BIOS update next week. 

Regards,
Eric Xu

jacopo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,090
Message 8 of 11

I know it's powerful, but i'm not even using half of its power.

what if i start some heavy job, will it melt or will it take off with the fan at maximum speed?

let's see if a better BIOS comes up soon

Guru
Views: 2,072
Message 9 of 11

Next BIOS update should come out next week (currently in testing phase according to Amy). In web browsing, I usually don't hear the fan at all, or it's just quiet.  Only time I notice it is when I was editing video. Of course, there's thermal controls that will keep it from heat damage, whether that means ramping up fan speeds or thermal throttling. 

Regards,
Eric Xu

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,901
Message 10 of 11

EricX - nice review!

I've done my own review of the Yoga 910 sent to me. Unfortunately, my sample machine has an issue with WiFi connectivity. Worryingly, I don't seem to be the only one suffering from this issue. I've put in a service call, and hopefully Lenovo can get to the root of the issue and resolve it.

----------------------------

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors