Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kniekel
Paper Tape
Views: 1,214
Message 21 of 47

Re: Yoga 910 Shift Key Issue

Thank you DragDay7 for the reg file. Unfortunately, it doesn't change the "repeat" behaviour of the new "Cursor up" key (that was the Shift key), so I have to hit it for every single line I want to go up. Is there a solution to this problem, too?

Yogi910
Paper Tape
Views: 1,164
Message 22 of 47

I got my top of the line 910 just yesterday and I've had nothing but issues.  I'm kicking myself for not getting an HP.  Well, I have 30 days to return to return this and I may just do that.

Issue 1: the fn vs F1-F12 key fiasco.  The version that came with my laptop didn't have the Keyboard section.  I uninstalled and then reinstalled it only to find out that I was also missing the foundation drivers and Lenovo Settings wouldn't run.  I finally fixed it by downloading a 241MB download and installing the foundation drivers (only 6+ MB why is the download 241 MB?)

Issue 2: continuous fan running.  I noticed right away that QCommWLanSrv.exe (or something like that) was continously running at 25% CPU (i.e. using one of the 2 threads of the 2-core CPUs).  I looked everyone on Lenovo's website for an updated drive but found nothing.  Finally found that I had to uninstall the Atheros Installer.

Issue 3: the right shift key.  I have yet to tackle that issue.  

IBM/Lenovo made/makes great hardware but when it comes to software, they suck.  I'm really disappointed to see that that still hasn't changed after so many years.  Last time I used ThinkPad was about 8 years ago.

I am a computer professional and it took me hours to figure out these issues.  I shudder at the thought of a regular consumer having to deal with these issues.  I wonder what the trend in market share for Lenovo has been over the last 5 years.

WESTANG
What's DOS?
Views: 1,058
Message 23 of 47

I just bought a Yoga 910 last week and found the same issue with the right shift as expressed here.  SharpKeys did the trick, easily and quickly.  It seems to work with Windows 10 as well.

I have owned two other Yoga laptops and was quite happy with the keyboard layout and touch on both.  My only complaint with the 910 is the size of the right shift key and having the up arrow key just to the left of it.  Perhaps on on a future model, Lenovo can rethink that design.  The wider right shift key is much bettter!  The SharpKey key solution is a good workaround.

Triode
What's DOS?
Views: 1,001
Message 24 of 47

DO NOT, repeat DO NOT, buy the Yoga 910. After attempting to deal with the ridiculous right shift and up arrow issue I couldn't take it anymore. I remapped the keys and decided to physically swap the key caps. I called Lenovo to ensure I got the correct instructions for popping the key caps off so I wouldn't cause any damage. Either they didn't know or wouldn't tell me. Absolutely pathetic service! This purchase is now a major regret and Lenovo will never see another penny of mine. You've been warned. . .
Drofidnas
Fanfold Paper
Views: 876
Message 25 of 47

I went one step further and remapped with Sharp Keys both SHIFT and UP and then RIGHT and DOWN, then popped the keys off and swapped them over. Now I have a logical grouping of cursor keys and a SHIFT in the right position Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Yorgos
Serial Port
Views: 788
Message 26 of 47

I have seen posts regarding how to swap the PgUp with the right Shift key to correct the bad design of the keyboard (seriously very irritating!!!). But I was wondering if instead I can duplicate the Shift and use the PgUp as a shift as well and not using a PgUp (which I rarely use anyway). 

Mod Edit:  Post merged in.

lusername
Paper Tape
Views: 769
Message 27 of 47

Thinkpads have had some great keyboard layouts over the years.  One of the better ones was on the W520:

It's inexplicable why Lenovo keeps monkeying with keyboard layouts and pointer buttons in completely brain-damaged ways that make their devices unusable - especially when a known, good layout already exists.  It's possible that Chinese input methods are completely different than what U.S. and other countries use that the Chinese just don't understand what we expect from a keyboard and think that they're "inovating".

The Yoga 910 is *perfect* ... except for the intollerable arrow/shift key braindamage.  I'm skipping a Yoga 910 purchase.

lusername
Paper Tape
Views: 769
Message 28 of 47

Not really a solution. Remapping the keys helps, but there's still a non-standard arrow key layout and an undersized shift key.
lenovochobo
Punch Card
Views: 686
Message 29 of 47

Thanks, I might try that. Any instructions for popping the keys off please?

Kniekel
Paper Tape
Views: 672
Message 30 of 47

This was posted in this thread earlier. Just follow the link for instructions.

https://imgur.com/gallery/1Vzqu

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors