Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

3519 Posts

12-13-2016

United States of America

5536 Signins

62376 Page Views

• Views: 62376
  • Message 1 of 9

Yoga 910 Third Party USB-C Power Supplies and Adapters

2016-12-18, 15:01 PM

I have a Yoga 910 131KB. It's my first foray into Lenovoland after decades as a Dell user. My favorite Dell accessory was a slim travel power supply that would work with either a 2-prong AC appliance cord or the ubiquitous automobile "cigarette lighter" plug.  Try as I might, I can't find anything similar in a USB-C flavor with the 45W power requirements of the 910.  

What woud be nice is if someone made a step-down adapter for Dell power supplies. I have over a dozen of the things. I only have ONE Lenovo wall wart. I guess I'll get a second Lenovo PS as I'd be sunk if the one that came with the computer failed. 

So, what I'm hoping someone can point me to is...

12-volt USB-C chargers (will probably need more amps than the USB-C phone chargers that are everywhere)

110-volt USB-C charger that uses a standard appliance cord (wall warts don't always fit well on airplanes, requiring the tiny extension cord that came with the computer. That leaves the transformer dangling at foot level where it's going to get kicked and knocked around)

Converters for other power supplies. Specifically, the Dell 19.5-volt 90W bricks. I swear I located one, but can't find it, again.

Other handy USB-C devices that work with Windows 10. I've purchased a number of things that apparently work with Apple computers and Android phones, but Windows 10 won't recognize them (even though product descriptions menion Lenovo computers. HDMI, Ethernet and port replicators, specifically.

Finally, are the Apple USB-C power supplies compatible with the Lenovo? I thought this USB-C business was supposed to be universal.

Many thanks

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.

Using Browser Search To Find Answers in the Lenovo and Moto Communities
Check out our new Recent Service Tips Area ..your issue may already be solved!
Options

3519 Posts

12-13-2016

United States of America

5536 Signins

62376 Page Views

• Message 2 of 9

Re: Yoga 910 Third Party USB-C Power Supplies and Adapters

2016-12-19, 14:12 PM

Found the Dell power brick adapter. Again, I'm assuming all USB-C charging is universal and this'll work..?

Dell Part# : 470-ACFG

"Leave your USB-C power adapter at home and charge your laptop via any readily available barrel power with the Dell Adapter 4.5mm Barrel to USB-C. Throw the space-saving and lightweight adapter in your bag and head to your next meeting with confidence, since compatible Dell 4.5mm barrel power adapters are often widely available."

LINK

Options

919 Posts

07-05-2016

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

1521 Signins

5917 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 5917
  • Message 3 of 9

2016-12-19, 14:15 PM

wrote:

I have a Yoga 910 131KB. It's my first foray into Lenovoland after decades as a Dell user. My favorite Dell accessory was a slim travel power supply that would work with either a 2-prong AC appliance cord or the ubiquitous automobile "cigarette lighter" plug.  Try as I might, I can't find anything similar in a USB-C flavor with the 45W power requirements of the 910.  

What woud be nice is if someone made a step-down adapter for Dell power supplies. I have over a dozen of the things. I only have ONE Lenovo wall wart. I guess I'll get a second Lenovo PS as I'd be sunk if the one that came with the computer failed. 

So, what I'm hoping someone can point me to is...

12-volt USB-C chargers (will probably need more amps than the USB-C phone chargers that are everywhere)

110-volt USB-C charger that uses a standard appliance cord (wall warts don't always fit well on airplanes, requiring the tiny extension cord that came with the computer. That leaves the transformer dangling at foot level where it's going to get kicked and knocked around)

Converters for other power supplies. Specifically, the Dell 19.5-volt 90W bricks. I swear I located one, but can't find it, again.

Other handy USB-C devices that work with Windows 10. I've purchased a number of things that apparently work with Apple computers and Android phones, but Windows 10 won't recognize them (even though product descriptions menion Lenovo computers. HDMI, Ethernet and port replicators, specifically.

Finally, are the Apple USB-C power supplies compatible with the Lenovo? I thought this USB-C business was supposed to be universal.

Many thanks

Hi Doctordon,

Welcome to the community

Not sure if this helps but found this travel charger, claims to work on all yoga models.

Link

Hope this help you and let us know how you get on

=====================================================================================
Did someone help you today? Thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

3519 Posts

12-13-2016

United States of America

5536 Signins

62376 Page Views

• Message 4 of 9

2016-12-19, 20:05 PM

Thanks for the link, but the Yoga 910 requires a USB-C connection to charge. There is no other charging connector on the 910.. at least not on mine.  That device appears to have either a USB-A plug or the Yoga charging port plug. Hard to tell from that photo. The 910 doesn't have the same charging port the other Yogas have. And if it will charge from the USB-A connector, that's news to me.

And, at $150, it's a little high. 

Options

3519 Posts

12-13-2016

United States of America

5536 Signins

62376 Page Views

• Message 5 of 9

2016-12-20, 21:01 PM

Bit of an update: The Trendnet USB-C to HDMI solution works. Just make sure the Trendnet is connected to the display and the display is on BEFORE you plug it in to your 910, otherwise your laptop strangely goes into standby. 

Options

3519 Posts

12-13-2016

United States of America

5536 Signins

62376 Page Views

• Message 6 of 9

2016-12-22, 4:52 AM

Another update:  The Dell converter doesn't fit any of the dozen Dell power supplies I have. The barrel connector is considerably smaller than the long-standard Dell power supply. So THAT's getting sent back. :(

Options

99 Posts

12-22-2016

United States of America

411 Signins

2350 Page Views

• Views: 2350
  • Message 7 of 9

2016-12-22, 16:01 PM

The Dart-C from Finsix looks like it might be the smallest charger and it's 65 watts, so should be no problem.  A bit pricey though.  I just ordered this one from Dell for $35 which is 45 watts like the Lenovo charger and is billed as small and sleek although I didn't notice any dimensions listed.  Both have a USB slot to charge a phone.

Options

3519 Posts

12-13-2016

United States of America

5536 Signins

62376 Page Views

• Message 8 of 9

2016-12-22, 17:27 PM

Thanks. The Dart-C won't work well on a plane as it'll stick out of the socket, too much, so I'd still be adding a short extension cord. But the Dell looks to be about the right size (going by the USB-A port in the photo). I like the price, too.

This one from NewerTech (never heard of them) also looks good. I like the standard appliance cord as I already have plenty of those in various lengths.   

Options

99 Posts

12-22-2016

United States of America

411 Signins

2350 Page Views

• Views: 2350
  • Message 9 of 9

2016-12-27, 18:24 PM

I received the Dell charger today. Works as expected and much smaller than the Lenovo charger

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms