Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KMiles
Paper Tape
Views: 39,169
Message 1 of 124

Yoga 910 USB-C Adapters

I just bought a Yoga 910-13IKB Laptop and I've been having challenges figuring out which USB-C adapters work and which ones don't.  I thought I would start a thread and hope others will add to it, as it appears very hit and miss as to what works and what doesn't.  Just because an adapter works with the Yoga 900 is not a reliable predictor that it will work with the Yoga 910.  This is the first time in years that I've bought a product in which seemingly standard adapters/devices don't work in an USB port and there is no way to get them to work.  It makes me wonder if everyone is making up their own standard.  Here is what I've found so far:

USB-C charger:

Works:

Lenovo, Anker PowerPort+ 5 USB-C, Apple MacBook USB-C charger

Doesn't work:

So far everything I've tried works when plugged into the charging USB-C port

USB-C Multiport:

Works:

I haven't found one that works yet

Doesn't work:

Dell DA200

USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet:

Works:

Belkin F2CU040btBLK

Doesn't work:

Dell DA200

USB-C to USB

Works:

Apple USB-C to USB Adapter

Doesn't work:

Dell DA200

90c4
Punch Card
Views: 39,032
Message 2 of 124

Re: Yoga 910 USB-C Adapters

Any USB C charger that is 45W or more should work. The Dell one I picked up works great and is smaller than the Lenovo one.  Also note that Macbook chargers have varying wattage - some are 29W, some 87W.  Chargers that put out less than 45W may or may not work, but will likely charge slower if they do.  Anker's wattage varies too. They have a 40W model and a 60W model

KMiles
Paper Tape
Views: 38,972
Message 3 of 124

The Anker charger that I bought is a 40W 5V unit. It seems to charge at the same rate as the Lenovo OEM unit or faster. When I get the time, I'll do a real timed test.
roggeroj
Paper Tape
Views: 38,945
Message 4 of 124

roggeroj
Paper Tape
Views: 38,942
Message 5 of 124

Also,

I have a USB-C to HDMI direct cable and that seems to work fine. 

Highlighted
rpomygal
Punch Card
Views: 38,925
Message 6 of 124

This looks like this could be the best thing of all. Not cheap ($105 during pre-order), but 2 USB-C ports with 1 for charging, 2 USB 3.0, SD Card slot, 4K monitor via HDMI or Mini DisplayPort. Works with Yoga 910!

ArcHub: https://www.bourgedesign.com/archub

Looks pretty cool, and a single solution using only the one USB-C charging port.

In addition to the new Macbooks, HP Spectre, and Chromebook Pixel, "Dell XPS 13 & 15, Lenovo Yoga 900 & 910, and the Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro S are compatible with Arc Hub."

KMiles
Paper Tape
Views: 38,877
Message 7 of 124

Thanks for the info on the Bourge Design Arc Hub - that's a great find and it's good to hear it works.  I read that Lenovo announced a hub for these at CES this week.  New Levovo USB-C Dock

I finally (after 3 tries) found a USB-C to VGA Adapter that works - It's the Lenovo USB-C to VGA p# GX90K37872.  The only source I could find was direct online from Lenovo.  I needed it for my personal projector and it works fine.  Heads up regarding ordering from Lenovo.  They want a signature on delivery.  The UPS driver thought it was funny - he delivers full PCs all the time that don't need a signature, and Lenovo wants it for $30 part.

USB-C to VGA

Works:

Lenovo GX90K37872

Doesn't work:

Dell DA200

Belkin F2CU037btBLK

tiki20
Blue Screen Again
Views: 38,821
Message 8 of 124

Hi. This looks nice, but I have seen somewhere that the charging USB-C will not support display output (and also only USB 2.0 speed), and the other USB-C does not support charging the 910. Read more about it in the Laptopmag review.

The basic idea of the USB-C port is that it should be one plug for "everything", that it should be universal and everything should work the same on all ports, but what I see mentioned in several places is that many adapters and computers don't work together at all. This Yoga 910 approach is not very smooth either...

Please see the attached illustration (I'm not 100% sure if this is correct).

lenovo-yoga-910-w-usb-c

@rpomygal wrote:

This looks like this could be the best thing of all. Not cheap ($105 during pre-order), but 2 USB-C ports with 1 for charging, 2 USB 3.0, SD Card slot, 4K monitor via HDMI or Mini DisplayPort. Works with Yoga 910!

ArcHub: https://www.bourgedesign.com/archub

Looks pretty cool, and a single solution using only the one USB-C charging port.

KMiles
Paper Tape
Views: 38,790
Message 9 of 124

tiki20 - You're absolutely correct, that's kind of my point in creating this thread.  Can you imagine us having to do this with a regular USB port?  I'm hoping that this need will soon go away, and that Lenovo will fix via a bios or driver update the multiple incompatibility issues with the supposedly standard USB-C port.  I was in another office today, using it while the regular occupant was away.  He had a couple of Apple USB-C connectors, so tried them out.  The charger worked - but very slowly.  It would have take a whole day to recharge my 910 using his Apple charger while using the PC (it charged at the rate of about 3% per hour).  On the other hand, he had an Apple multi-port adapter (USB-C, USB-A and VGA) and it immediately connected and replicated my screen onto his 24 inch monitor.  When I arrived home my Cable Matters 201016-BLK USB Type-C to DisplayPort Adapter had arrived.  It worked great, connecting to a Dell 27" 4K monitor.  I also received a Sandisk Ultra Dual Drive USB Type-C and A.  It worked well, too.

tiki20
Blue Screen Again
Views: 38,765
Message 10 of 124

Nice!

My comment was especially for the idea of using one (!) adapter as with the ArcHub. For docking at a workstation it is very useful to just plug in one cable and have all connections. This can't be done with the 910. (I'm sure you know all this KMiles, but I just want to clarify for others that look in here.)

I haven't decided yet if this is one of the small things that will make me return the computer. I still have a few weeks to decide and I love it for so many other reasons! Smiley Happy

You should update your first post with info from roggeroj and yourself. It will be a nice overview for many people seeking this information. I will inform you when I get to try some myself.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors