Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lindsy
What's DOS?
Views: 1,916
Message 11 of 27

Re: Yoga 910 - USB-C Universal Dock with dual monitor support

An addendum. The guy who sold me the Yoga told me the Thinkpad people were wrong. One can power an external monitor at 4K through the dock (and in fact a total of three external monitors if one wants -- two through Dis0layport and one VGA)  BUT only at the cost of the Yoga having to run on battery power while the external monitor is running. I think this is insane, and will live without an external monitor until I can buy a new all-in-one oor a different laptop. 

Elevated
Paper Tape
Views: 1,886
Message 12 of 27

I have a Yoga 920, and the Startech TB3DK2DPPD dock works great so far.   (the one with power delivery)

I only have 1 Thunderbolt 3 cable attached to dock.  It powers the laptop and receives all the data.  The dock itself has 2 Thunderbolt 3 ports, so that leaves me with an extra T3 port to daisy chain more T3 devices behind it.  

In addition to the power to the laptop, the dock is running 1gb ethernet, 3 SSD drives,  and 1 4k monitor at 60hz with display port.    I don't use a 2nd monitor, but the extra T3 port could drive another monitor at 4k.    

My battery level has not fluctuated at all and has remained fully charged while connected.  

DreaMPoweR
Serial Port
Views: 1,488
Message 13 of 27

I purchased the StarTech TB3DK2DPPD but it does not work for my Yoga 910. Did you have to download/update any BIOS/firmware etc. as this is stated in their manual? 

@Elevated wrote:

I have a Yoga 920, and the Startech TB3DK2DPPD dock works great so far.   (the one with power delivery)

I only have 1 Thunderbolt 3 cable attached to dock.  It powers the laptop and receives all the data.  The dock itself has 2 Thunderbolt 3 ports, so that leaves me with an extra T3 port to daisy chain more T3 devices behind it.  

In addition to the power to the laptop, the dock is running 1gb ethernet, 3 SSD drives,  and 1 4k monitor at 60hz with display port.    I don't use a 2nd monitor, but the extra T3 port could drive another monitor at 4k.    

My battery level has not fluctuated at all and has remained fully charged while connected.  

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,465
Message 14 of 27

Perhaps the fact the 910 doesn't have Thunderbolt 3 has something to do with it? The 920 does. 

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
DreaMPoweR
Serial Port
Views: 1,443
Message 15 of 27

I found that out the hard way. I did not even check if the 910 has thunderbolt 3. I am really regretting buying this computer instead of something else. Crackred screen by itself and was not covered by the warranty. Noisy fan under 15% cpu use. No digitizer in the screen so you cannot use a pen. And now you cannot even use external monitors even Lenovo dock will not do that!

Has anybody figured out how to use two monitors with this yoga 910? 

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,432
Message 16 of 27

I researched the devil out of the 910 before buying it. Even to the point of annoying Best Buy's sales force by typing on the demo unit to determine if I could retrain my right pinky finger for the tiny right-shift key (which I did).

It's just my opinion, but I've always thought Ultrabooks were intended for the wireless crowd; those who need lightweight devices heavy on entertainment capabilities, long on battery life with minimal ports. I know I was looking for a computer that was light but solid, would go into tent mode for entertainment on flights, and had enough oomph to do video editing work when I was away from my office. I was dismayed, at first, in the lack of legacy USB ports, but everything else on the 910 exceeded my needs. In the time since I bought it, I've moved nearly all of my files to network storage with internet access to some folders. I no longer need to move things around with thumb drives. 

If I'd truly needed a laptop that could fit into an environment with multiple monitors, ethernet and attached storage, I think I'd have gone with a more-traditional laptop, as I'd done in the past. Not criticizing your decision. I just don't think Ultrabooks were ever intended to supplant desktop-replacement laptops. 

For what it's worth, the 910 WILL work with an external monitor. I'm typing on one, now. In my case, a Vizio HDTV. The 910 is sitting on a laptop cooler on a shelf underneath the TV. I'm on the sofa with a wireless keyboard and bluetooth mouse. 

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
Elevated
Paper Tape
Views: 1,424
Message 17 of 27

Yes, there were updates to the Lenovo laptop drivers and also the docking station. 

Sorry I did not realize Yoga 910 didn't have Thunderbolt 3.  I thought it had just 1, as the 920 has 2 of them.  

Nonetheless, USB 3.0 certainly should power monitors even up to 4k.   Even dual monitors of 4k and a 2nd up to 1080p.  Try using different cables as well (the supplied T3 cable with dock, and a regular 3.0 cable).   

Cables actually matter again and are very specific.  For instance, with Thunderbolt 3 cables , they vary from 20gbs, to 40gbs, to 40gbs with power delivery.  Many people will end up buying the cheapest and run into problems. With the Yoga 920 I had to buy the 40gbs with power. Cable was $60 alone for six feet.  I'm not sure if T3 cables are compatible with USB 3.0 ports even though they fit.  The cable says not compatible with USB-C ports without the Thunderbolt 3 label. 

DreaMPoweR
Serial Port
Views: 1,413
Message 18 of 27

Well, being an ultrabook does not mean that you need to encounter some of these problems. For instance (in addition the problems in my previous post), running the computer high resolutions, some (most) programs have really shrinked interfaces and changing size settings to 300% does not solve this issue. 

I purchased two USB-C to HDMI cables so far and none of the worked for me. The computers sees them but I cannot choose any selection such as extend the monitor, duplicate etc. When I choose them, the computer goes back to only 1 monitor selection. The cables I have tried:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075V68NVR/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XYN6LQY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Can you let me know which cable you are using?

Elevated
Paper Tape
Views: 1,408
Message 19 of 27

I would not use adapters (your links show adapters, not cables).  There is no need for adapters, when a USB-C to HDMI 2.0 cable is the same price.   One clean straight connection with no chance of a weak link in the middle.  

However, if your monitor has a DisplayPort, that would be better than using the HDMI port.  If so, I would try a USB-C to DisplayPort cable.  There are more advantages using Diplayport in computer use, from bandwidth, refresh rates, multiple monitors from one cable, etc. 

The StarTech docking station came with a Displayport to Displayport cable i'm using fine.  I've also used the USB-C to DisplayPort cable that came with my Samsung 4k monitor, and it works fine from both the docking station or my 2nd T3 port on my 920.  

BTW, maybe unrelated, but my Samsung monitor has an Auto Detect, and Manual.  Try setting your monitor to manual so you can select HDMI, Diplayport, etc without it cycling through every port on its on.  Or maybe yours is stuck in manual and needs to be on auto detect.     

DreaMPoweR
Serial Port
Views: 1,382
Message 20 of 27

OK, I will give the cables a try. My monitors (have 3) do not have DisplayPort. Two of them have HDMI and VGA, the other one DVI, HDMI, VGA. I ordered a USB-C to HDMI cable. I will let you know how it goes. But, connecting two monitors at a time seems impossible at this time I guess.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors