Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Artiomka
Paper Tape
Views: 1,354
Message 1 of 8

Yoga 910 USB type C to hdmi not working

Hello, I have a Yoga 910-13IKB Laptop. I was using an adaptor to extend my screen on a bigger monitor for about a year and now it suddenly stopped working. When I plug-in the adaptor you can hear the specific sound when a USB is plugged in, but when I try to connect my HDMI cable to the adaptor nothing happens. With the adaptor I also have some USB 3 slots which I was using to connect my keyboard and mouse, it dosn't detect them either. The adaptor is working perfectly with other laptops, so it's not the problem. Does anyone have a similar problem? I tried to find a solution on forum, but I could see only one for the Yoga 920.
I am on Windows version 1803.
Bios version is 2JCN39WW.
Vantage says that everything is up to date.
Please help! Thank you!

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,328
Message 2 of 8

Re: Yoga 910 USB type C to hdmi not working

First of all, make sure your 910 didn't take the update to Windows version 1809. You should be on 1803.

Second, use Vantage (available in the Windows Store) to update all of your drivers and BIOS. You should be on 2JCN39WW.

If all is up to date (except Win 10) you may need to uninstall/reinstall drivers.  Will the keyboard and mouse work with the adapter connected to the rear USB-C port?

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
Artiomka
Paper Tape
Views: 1,317
Message 3 of 8

I am on Windows version 1803.
Bios version is 2JCN39WW.
Vantage says that everything is up to date.

Keyboard and mouse do not work when connected to the adapter and into USB C display port. If I connect the adapter to the power USB C, both keyboard and mouse work perfectly.

Which drivers should I uninstall and reinstall? Thank you!
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,300
Message 4 of 8

The fact it works in the back port sort of kills my driver theory, though you could try uninstalling USB Root Hub (USB 3.0) and letting Windows reinstall it after a reboot. On mine, the driver is dated 11/2018 and is version number 10.0.17134.441

You could also try using a System Restore or a backup set from when you knew it was working. I'm hoping it's something as simple as needing a new driver for your dock thanks to a Windows update changing something. But it could also be something physical involving the socket or the USB daughtercard. I realize I'm spitballing, but nobody wants to send a machine in unless there's no other answer. Heck, I'd even grab a known-good USB-C to HDMI adapter, such as the Trendnet, and try that, too. 

Artiomka
Paper Tape
Views: 1,294
Message 5 of 8

I already tried uninstalling all the drivers from Universal Serial Bus Controllers. It did not help.

I have the same driver version as yours.

Thinking that it is a physical problem I even bought and changed the USB type C part: Type C Board L80VF W/CableSilver Part Nr 5C50M35042. Did not help.

And I tried 2 different adapters, which I know that worked before on this laptop.
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,262
Message 6 of 8

Time to send it in, then. Apparently, everything I can research or think of, you've already tried. If a Trendnet doesn't work, then it's time to send it in.

Mark102201
Paper Tape
Views: 237
Message 7 of 8

Using Yoga 910

BIOS Version : 2JCN39WW

Window : 1909

And now i could not display using my 2nd monitor.

Any solution?

rpdennis
Paper Tape
Views: 154
Message 8 of 8

I have a HDMI adapter that used to work, did not use very often.  Then at some point I tried using it and it does not work.

When I go to the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel, then go to Multiple Displays window, I can select Clone Display or Extended Desktop.  Under the 'Select One or More Active Displays' it actually shows two displays - builtin and the monitor I am hooked up to.  So it is seeing the monitor connected via the adapter.   But when I click on 'Detect' button, which shows two displays above it, a window pops up saying 'No other display has been detected.  If yo do not see a display, verify all the connections and check that the display is powered on'.

So although it seems that the computer, in some form or fashion, sees the HDMI monitor in some other sense it is not detecting it.  So I cannot display on the other monitor.  

As I said, this used to work in the past.  Possible as has been indicated in other forums as well as this one, it has to something to do with the Windows updates after 1803.  I have 1909 now, which is a very recent update.  But I had 1809 I believe before that.  I am not sure when this stopped working and when I updated beyond the 1803 update.

I have updated drivers.  I have tried various scenarios - plugging adapter into computer while powered off, powering on computer, then connecting to monitor.   As well as just hooking it up with everything on.   Nothing seems to work.  And as I said, this did work previously but it was probably several months between when I had used it and it was working to when I tried again and it no longer worked.

I have thought of doing a complete re-install of windows on the computer.  I did recently download the files for doing this - but I do not know which version of Windows 10 it woudl re-install.  Unless I was relatively certain this would fix the problem, I am not ready to try it.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors